Anxiety Community
Mitral Valve Prolapse with anxiety/panic attack
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Mitral Valve Prolapse with anxiety/panic attack

Hi all,

Since 6 years ago I am dealing with anxiety without medication. Last year, 2009, I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse before that I experienced around 3 or 4 panic attacks a year (since 2004). I guess I must have Mitral Valve Prolapse Dysautonomia (undiagnosed). I am taking since may 2009 Bystolic (nebivolol; a betablocker) 5 mg for high blood pressure and palpitations. I did not take anything for the anxiety/panic. Last year around november I suffered from a burnout (a lot of stress/worry from work, family life, health issues) i could not cope and I crashed, not for sure, into a depression. I thought that I could overcome it myself but that was not the case. Everday I had severe anxiety and bouts of depression mild to moderate and racing thoughts.

Since november I am seeing a psychologist but it is not helping so much. I decided to take the medicine route for my anxiety (and depression) but I had to arrange an apointment with the psychiatrist first. About 2 weeks ago I went to my GP and he gave me 1.5 mg of Bromazepam (Lexotan; a benzo) for the anxiety and reffered me to a psychiatrist for further evaluation. I got an appointment next friday (march 5th 2010). I know that you guys are no doctors but I know that you have alot of experience and maybe you can suggest me something. It is my first time with a psychiatrist that is why I want to ask you some question before I go to him. What kind of treatment/medicines do you suggest? a combination of antidepressant and benzo? and in that case which antidepressant and which benzo. I am also on a betablocker so it has to be something that does not interact with it.

Note: I am taking the Bromazepam for the last 2 weeks and I feel ok. No depresseion, no racing thoughts, no anxiety. So I am asking myself if I was really depressed or I it was the anxiety that made me feeling depressed?
I also walk 3 times a week for 30 minutes, I do yoga, meditation, I read, I go to work. I keep myself busy.

Guys a lot of thanks for answering my questions,

Amethyst