Anxiety Community
Mitral Valve Prolapse with anxiety/panic attack

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

Hi all,

Since 6 years ago I am dealing with anxiety without medication. Last year, 2009, I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse before that I experienced around 3 or 4 panic attacks a year (since 2004). I guess I must have Mitral Valve Prolapse Dysautonomia (undiagnosed). I am taking since may 2009 Bystolic (nebivolol; a betablocker) 5 mg for high blood pressure and palpitations. I did not take anything for the anxiety/panic. Last year around november I suffered from a burnout (a lot of stress/worry from work, family life, health issues) i could not cope and I crashed, not for sure, into a depression. I thought that I could overcome it myself but that was not the case. Everday I had severe anxiety and bouts of depression mild to moderate and racing thoughts.

Since november I am seeing a psychologist but it is not helping so much. I decided to take the medicine route for my anxiety (and depression) but I had to arrange an apointment with the psychiatrist first. About 2 weeks ago I went to my GP and he gave me 1.5 mg of Bromazepam (Lexotan; a benzo) for the anxiety and reffered me to a psychiatrist for further evaluation. I got an appointment next friday (march 5th 2010). I know that you guys are no doctors but I know that you have alot of experience and maybe you can suggest me something. It is my first time with a psychiatrist that is why I want to ask you some question before I go to him. What kind of treatment/medicines do you suggest? a combination of antidepressant and benzo? and in that case which antidepressant and which benzo. I am also on a betablocker so it has to be something that does not interact with it.

Note: I am taking the Bromazepam for the last 2 weeks and I feel ok. No depresseion, no racing thoughts, no anxiety. So I am asking myself if I was really depressed or I it was the anxiety that made me feeling depressed?
I also walk 3 times a week for 30 minutes, I do yoga, meditation, I read, I go to work. I keep myself busy.

Guys a lot of thanks for answering my questions,

Amethyst

There is a very stong correlation between MVP and anxiety.  Sometimes,simply treating the MVP will improve the anxiety symptoms.  The good news is, you are already getting relief from your current regimen, and you've already booked an appt to address the anxiety.

There are many treatment options.  Everyone is different in what they need, and how they tolerate different meds.  Personally, I have had a great deal of success with SSRI antidepressants, specifically Zoloft, Prozac, and Lexapro (not all together).  All of those meds helped me tremendously. Before those meds kicked in and did their thing, I was practically housebound at times.  After the meds, I was fuly functional and anxiety-free.  I also used a short-acting benzo, Ativan, while I was waiting for the meds to do their thing...to help combat some of the anxiety symptoms.  That was very helpful as well.

You and your doc will be able to formulate a plan that is right for YOU, taking into consideration the MVP and the other meds you take.

Let us know how you're doing!
russthebus commented on Day 47, Tramadol Deto...
25 mins ago
melimeli commented on veronica0808's status
specialmom commented on specialmom's status
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms