Anxiety Community
Muscle twitches - anxiety - SSRI

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Muscle twitches - anxiety - SSRI

I have anxiety disorder with panic attacks. I have been taking citalopram (SSRI) since three years. Last week my muscles started twitching. The twitching isn't related to anxiety, I get it all day long, anywhere on my muscles. One jerk per around thirty seconds. The jerks are  sometimes small, but often embarrasingly visible.

Could it be a side effect of citalopram? Because it came out of the blue, after three years. Anyway, I am abandoning citalopram, because psychotherapy is at last starting to yield results. Will they be gone?

Thanks!
I doubt that the Citalopram is even working for you after 3 years.  Muscle twitches are not a side effect of this medication, so you should consult with your doctor regarding this new symptom.  You also want to wean off the Citalopram via your doctor's instructions.  I'm happy to hear that therapy is helping you and wish you continued success with it.
Twitching is an anxiety symptom trust me. I've had it very bad last week but now I'm on zoloft is eased up a bit. I don't think your medz is working for u right now u may need to try something els. But you'll be fine take my word for it.
Impossible to predict. Twitches/tremors are things that are associated with SSRI's they are things I've had in past, but they are no problem now. Citalopram failed me after 3 yrs, went on to Effexor XR & that works for me.
Barb135 commented on specialmom's status
christineyvette Derealization is the WORST Comment
MH Community Mgr commented on photo
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms