My Successful Lexapro Withdraw Story
GHR
My Successful Lexapro Withdraw Story (April 2008)

I decided to take the time to write this because I had a very hard time finding anyone with similar withdraw experiences as me.  I had an even harder time finding a successful taper schedule that minimized the withdraw side effects.  What little information I found was a tremendous help in getting me through this challenging time.  The piece of mind that “what I was experiencing was normal” was priceless.  My hope is that by writing this I will help someone through the difficult withdrawal process.  In my experience very few people who have been successful in withdrawing from these drugs remain on forums such as this to help people and answer questions for those currently going through these experiences.

I am a 32 yr old male. I am married with two children under the age of 5.  I am a professional and I manage a multi-million dollar a year business.  I was on Lexapro for about 4 years.  A family practice MD put me on it in 2004 during a very stressful time in my life (new baby, new job, relocation, professional licensure examination, etc.).  Maybe I needed it, maybe not.   I now know I did not have good stress coping skills at that point in my life. In hind site, the Dr had probably just seen the Lexapro rep and so there I was on it.  

Fast-forward 3.5 years. I was still on the drug with no end in site.  In fact, I had now added 150 mg of Wellbutrin per day to the mix because the Lexapro was making feel so bad. I decided to ditch the family practice MD and found a Psychiatrist, MD with the goal to start the process of weaning of these drugs.  I felt the side effects while on the drug were hindering my day-to-day life.  In summary, I felt worse on the drug than any benefit I received from the drug.  

After a trial and error process, it took me about 6 months to wean off 10 mg of Lexapro going down in 2.5 mg increments.    I was very sensitive to coming off this drug.  As I write this, I am seven weeks off Lexapro and I feel somewhat back to normal.  I can cope with day-to-day life and have no desire to go back on Lexapro. Keep in mind I just started withdrawing from the Wellbutrin.   However, it took a good 6 weeks to get over the Lexapro withdraw side effects.   Weeks 2 through 4 were the most difficult to cope with in my case. I experienced the following withdraw side effects:

· Very dry, sore, aching eyes
· Brain zaps/shivers (mild)
· Blurred vision
· Constant Headaches (I took the maximum dose of Tylenol each day, 400 mg for about 6 weeks)
· What I would call severe nausea (I took the maximum dose of Pepto-Bismol each day for about 6 weeks)
· Trouble sleeping
· Self-doubt and wondering if I would ever be normal again
· Wanting to cry for no reason

However, I made it through the difficult 6 weeks one day at a time.  In faith I even through away the left over Lexapro pills so I could not relapse.  Please keep in mind I did this under the supervision of a MD.    I made it and you can too!  Hang in there.  It can be very difficult.

I am now two weeks into the process of withdrawing from Wellbutrin.  I will post this experience once I finish.  However at this point, it appears easier to withdraw than the Lexapro in my case.   Good luck and God Bless.

Helpful Resources During my Journey:

The Holy Bible
Attending Church Regularly
Remembering God is in control.  This did not catch Him by surprise and He already made provision for me.  
Thank you so much for writing us your success story! We have a place for them now and it's people like you who take the time out of your busy lives, who obviously care about others, and are willing to share the pain and agony and the eventual release that offers so much hope to the rest of us. Congratulations on your withdrawl.........you are a true inspiration. I hope you will come back often and offer your support to those who are going through the same hell you did. Your God made you find us for a reason!
Peace
Greenlydia
i am going to be facing this soon weaning off of last drug zoloft. it is great to hear your success. i was on multiple meds after a hospital stay and they fried the cranium a bit i was only experiencing this for two weeks and was sure i had permanent brain damage, the people on this forum got me through it. i am really inspired by your determination'

thank you
kcdem
i have been on 30mg of cipralex for four years following an auto accident. I don't have a support system and have been unable to take drug as perscribed. As of the last three days I am cold turkey. Today very bad cannot control crying, my head is pounding has anyone had to detox this way? Pleasehelp me I'm a mess
This post literally brought tears to my eyes.  I've been scrolling through the web these last few weeks and this is the first time I can honestly relate to someone else.  I was on Cipralex 20 mg for 12 years (21-33) and have weaned off them the last 8 months with the help of a homeopath.  In 3 days it will be 3 weeks since I've been completely off the meds and I must say this past week has seen a lot of highs and lows for me.  I've had all the symptoms you've described - Sore dry eyes which I never heard anyone else say, terrible insomnia but I'm so tired :( bad nausea to the point I think I might throw up, headaches, flu like symptoms, emotional and of course bouts of anxiety to the point where I don't think I'll ever come out either.  Reading your time line has given me reassurance that I will come out of this like you.  I'm so proud of you that you were able to overcome the withdrawals and I thank you so much for sharing your success story!