Need To - Have To & Can't ???
I am finding when I can get myself settled down enough to do a meditation or breathing exercise I often get a brief bit of symptom relief. I feel like if I could do it several times a day it could retrain my nervous system

Here the problem: most of the day (and night) I am highly agitated - tense and just want to pace - move or scream. The last thing I want to do is sit - when I do the first 10 to 15 minutes are excruciating - all the symptoms get worse and I feel like I am sitting on a red hot skillet or an electric cattle prod.

If you are using these tools (and my therapist says it is the most critical) how do you compel yourself to do it when you are agitated. I would rather go run 10 miles (and I have) than sit and breathe for 15 to 20 minutes.

Thanks for responding
bump
hi, i believe i have the same problem, so i'm not going to be able to help much. I've tried relaxation music, breathing exercises, hypnotherapy, meditation, you name it - it's very rare that i can relax and actually benefit from any of these, not because i am agitated, but because i can not seem to be able to focus, or clear my mind. There are thousands of thoughts racing through my mind, and no matter how hard i try i Cannot seem to be able to stop them.
sorry i couldn't really help, but hopefully someone will
jon kabitt-zin has a sitting or standing breathing space technique. it is in his book the mindful way through depression. the cd came with the book. when i can't stand to sit, i do the standing. this book is helping me greatly through this huge anxiety challenge.
I feel for you...used to have same problem.  Years ago I also thought it a overrated exercise!

Now..I can calm myself with mini meditations... ...usually with appropriate music...chants/meditative yoga type music...a stick of incense.

I like the idea of standing...why not?  There is no one right way to meditate...you really don't have to sit in lotus position.  For those of us with severe anxiety....sitting can be hard...esp in social situations..I have often stood..easier to get a deep breath...when a panic attack threatened.

Most of my panic occurs on the road...so I have trained myself to focus with a good cd..mantras for perilous times ...i believe it is called.  When I chant along while stopped @ a light...it really helps...

Best to you....