Anxiety Community
Need answer soon! Malarone-St. John Wort interaction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

I am traveling to Ghana on monday and have to take Malarone to prevent malaria.  I have some anxiety problems, but not currently insured so i was wondering is it safe to take St John's wort with the malarone? Or is there a different supplement for anxiety that may work with malarone.
Don't know anything about Malarone, but try asking your pharmacist.  Keep in mind that St. John's Wort is primarily for depression; there are better things out there specifically for anxiety, unless you've already found this herb to do the trick for you.  If it does, it would indicate your primary problem is depression, not anxiety, as depression can cause anxiety.  You might also look St. John's Wort on the website of one of the better herbal companies, such as Herb Pharm, and see if it lists contraindications.  You can also try contacting the American Herbal Products Association.  What I know St. John's Wort to be cautioned about are often theoretical, so also consider that -- not many actual reported cases of problems, just theories because nobody knows how St. John's Wort actually works.  And it's also an anti viral, it's not just an antidepressant.  Plants are complicated, and not much money is spent researching them, so we end up relying on speculation.  
definitely call a couple of pharmacists...my friends husband is a pharmacists and he always answers all my questions.  They know more about  drug interactions then doctors do.  I will send him an email to get his opinion.  
My pharmacist did not know of any interactions and my doctor told me to google it. guess that's the advice you get when you're broke and without insurance
Call another pharmacy. This is what I always do if one doesn't know the answer to my question to set my mind at ease. And let it be known that they DO know and have the answers, because ALL pharmacies have drug interaction programs in their computers. The one you called was just lazy to not look it up for you. The only reason I know this is because I am a certified pharma technician. Not judging your pharmacist, just letting you know that little tid bit of information so you don't hesitate to call another local pharmacy and ask.
LovemyKids86 commented on K_Bmomma's status
1 hr ago
michhh commented on A very inspiring colu...
Amandag78 commented on Almost 8 months off S...