Anxiety Community
Neurontin for Xanax Withdrawal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Neurontin for Xanax Withdrawal

I just got prescribed Neurontin to take 600mg a day taken at bedtime for a week then cut down to 300mg a day for the rest of the time I'm taking it. I have only taken one dose of 600mg a couple of hours ago and started to do research on Neurontin. I have read some stuff that makes me doubt the drug would help me...

I was taking Xanax for a few years (I would say around 4-5 years) two 2 mg bars per day sometimes three and I managed to cut that off cold turkey and went through the withdrawals for about a week. It was a horrible experience and I wouldn't wish that to anyone. I was sleepless for a couple of days and was having hallucinations and anxiety as well as a headache that wouldn't go away.

I managed to get off the Xanax completely and my doctor prescribed me Citalopram to treat my anxiety. I have been on Citalopram for about 2 months now and so far so good. However, one night I had a relapse and decided to take one 2 mg bar just to feel that feeling again (BIG MISTAKE) the next day I had a massive panic attack and after an argument with the family and girlfriend, I decided to take my gun and was considering suicide. With the help of some real good friends, I managed to eliminate that thought and move on.

I went to a doctor (psychiatrist) as well as a therapist to help me with this situation. He then prescribed me the Neurontin and advised me to take it with the Citalopram. He told me that the Neurontin will help "stabilize" my mood and control my anxiety.

I have read some things on the internet about withdrawals from Neurontin and honestly, I don't want to go through any more withdrawals at all. I'd rather not take the Neurontin if withdrawals are going to occur. I need some advise on whether or not I should continue taking the Neurontin. If anyone has any experiences or can relate to this situation that I am in, please help...

Thanks!
Tags: xanax, withdrawal, xanax withdrawal, Anxiety, Headache, family, neurontin, citalopram, Gabapentin, Organic Mood Syndrome swings, mood swings, Understandingbilizer, stabilizer
Neurontin might help, might not.  I've been recommended to take it because nothing else has worked, but I haven't for the reasons you've mentioned.  This is a pain medication that is used off-label for anxiety.  But it is pure GABA, which is what benzos target, so it obviously would lead to some people to have benzo-like problems quitting.  If the Celexa is working and you're function okay most of the time, are you in therapy to deal with the rest of the problem?  Because Celexa will most likely cause withdrawals as well -- all drugs that affect the brain do.  So at least try to find a non-medication treatment.  If it doesn't work, at least you tried.  I will say that neurontin has a better reputation for quitting than benzos because it's not addictive, but again, it's shooting pure GABA into your brain.  But if you do end up needing it, then keep in mind, again, that any drug you take for mental illness has the potential for bad withdrawals depending on the individual and how carefully you stop taking the drug (you've learned the wrong way already).
nursegirl6572 "Sometimes you will never k... Comment
46 mins ago
allinblack commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
1 hr ago
TinaR10 commented on TinaR10's status