Anxiety Community
New around here? Or old timer? Please READ

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

One thing we've always wanted is a sort of "welcome center" for folks who have recently joined, are thinking about it, or who are just observing for now. Please be good enough to respond to this post and just briefly introduce yourself: a name or nic-name, age, where from, what brought you here, what you hope to learn, have to offer, etc. Just a couple of lines. Don't worry, we won't bite!

If you are already a member, please check here every so often to greet new arrivals and visitors. Who knows, maybe a long-lost friend or family member may drop in. One of MINE did -no kidding!

JSGeare and Greenlydia are your "Community Leaders" (CL, for short) and our job is to make this place as helpful and comfortable as we can. You'll see little purple whirrly-gigs by our names to assist you in locating us if you have questions about how the forum works.

Enough said for right now -so please introduce yourself or say "Glad you're here" to a newcomer.

Thanks!

Greenlydia
JSGeare
hi, my name is barbara i go under heartfluttersflyawayplz, because i have a lot of pvc/pac, i have anxiety when things are going wrong in my familys life, been in this site for over 6 years, am here to help anyone who wants to talk, not a dr but have been in anxiety and heart paps for 24 years. so ask away maybe i can shed a little light. have a blessed day all.
Hi Im new here,
My names bethany and Im from california

I have anxiety :/ and constantly worry about things
I created an account on this site hopeing to get cumffort and answers to my questions that worry me and such and i have high hopes that this forum will help me :)
"Hearts and Hopeless?" Good grief, sounds like a firm of divorce attorneys!

By sheer coincidence:

1. I have spoken with you both, and recently and,
B. There is some cross-over in your symptoms. Each of you knows what the other is talking about! And that suggests to me that you guys may have a lot to say to one another -which I hope you shall do!

So....lemme ask you, Beth -how are we doing? Finding some comfort and support? Maybe some new ideas or things to think about?

Barbara, thank you so MUCH for your friendliness with new folks, your compassion and real expertise, and your great collegiality with the other "old hands" around here. You're the top!

-JSGeare
Hello!  My name is Pam, I am a nurse from PA...I am married with two children, a daughter, 9 and a son, 2.   What brought me here is a (now) 13 day long headache.  I'm pretty sure at this point it is related to a recent root canal, but I'm still in the exploring process.  It is very frustrating....I NEVER get headaches, and this one came on quite suddenly.  Of course, as a result, my depression and anxiety is rearing it's ugly little head a bit more.  :0(  I even considered the h/a being anxiety related, but I have never had my anxiety or depression present itself that way, plus I have very CLEAR cut additional symptoms.  Certainly, my emotional state isn't going to help.  I've literally had NO relief from this pain in almost 2 weeks.  THAT in itself is enough to drive you batty!  ;0)  I'm trying to remain patient as I exhaust all the possibilities.  Next step will rpobably be to have the RC tooth pulled.

Anyway, I started browsing around the forums, and of course, gravitated here....as I've struggled with anxiety/panic/agoraphobia/depression since childhood (in varying degrees).  I was "officially" diagnosed with PD/depression at age 18.  I've been completely housebound, and then had YEARS long periods of complete "anxiety remission".  LOL.

Like so many other stories....I finally end up saying..."Gee, it's been 3 years since I've had a problem, I don't need these meds anymore."  I do GREAT for a good long while (years)...and then "BAM!"  "Hello, my old friend anxiety".  I'm FINALLY learning that it is OKAY to take my meds forever.  I cannot tell you HOW many people I've talked to that have done that very thing....feel they do not need the meds anymore...only to be right back at the starting gate afterwards.

I have learned so much about it...and yet I will never be done learning about it.  It is such an awful thing to go through, ESPECIALLY for those who are just coming into it.  That first panic attack is rough.  Once you learn that while panic and anxiety may really suck (for lack of a better term...lol)...it can never physically HURT you.  There are great meds and therapies out there.  Truly there is something for everyone.

So, to the newcomers here who are just entering the wild and crazy world of anxiety...PLEASE allow me to reassure you that you will NOT feel like you do forever.  Get on the proper course of treatment, and recovery DOES come.  It's just something you have to learn to accept as part of "you", just as if you would have diabetes, or high blood pressure.  It's how we're wired.  Another thing?  There are A LOT of us out there.  We are not crazy or un-normal.  Actually, every person I have ever met with PD/anxiety has been very "normal", and in fact very likeable.  We come from all walks of life...women, men, young adults, older persons, police officers, execs, nurses, doctors, teachers, housewives, salespeople....you name it.  

Interestingly, there is a strong correlation between people with PD and MVP ("Mitral Valve Prolapse", or a heart murmur).  The experts are unsure exactly as to WHAT the relation is, but apparently there is a VERY high percentage of PD sufferers who concurrently have MVP.  Interesting.  I have a few other issues related that I would love to discuss here as well....

So, I'm glad to be here, and look forward to meeting and greeting you all, listening as well as receiving support.  If anyone has any medical related question, please feel free to post it, I'd be glad to explain things to the best of my knowledge.  Sometimes, it helps to hear things explained in "layman's" terms a bit.  Especially when it comes to a new medication you may have been prescribed.  Part of the anxiety process for a lot involves the fear of actually taking the med, which of course, complicates things.  

Sooo, let's get through the palpitations, the sweating, shaking, nausea, poopy-pants, the crying, the headaches, the vetigo, the bad dreams, the intrusive thoughts....and most importantly.....the recovery TOGETHER.  There IS a big bright light at the end of each of our tunnels.  It helps tremendously to have support while we're walking towards it, looking for it.  Just when you think you'll never get there, it comes.  I can promise that...I've had to find mine several times.  I always do.

I'm glad to be here.....thanks for the nice Intro thread, it is a great idea!

Supportive hugs to you all...and a peaceful day,

Pam
I forgot to warn you all (I'm sure you've figured it out by now)....I tend to be VERY long winded.  ;0)

Always a good idea to grab a snack before reading one of my posts.

:0)
Welcome to all.  This is a place where you will find comfort and humor as well.  And know that this disorder is not hopeless.  In fact, it can be a true learning experience.

Stick with us, were all here to help.

Fuzzy
Welcome to all newcomers!  My name is Cori, I'm a 31 year old wife and mother of two beautiful children, and I have had anxiety for 8 years.  What a long strange trip it's been!  At this point I can see full recovery just around the corner, but I must say that this forum has helped me more than any other thing I've experienced during my battle with anxiety.  I've been a member here for almost a year, and often wonder how different things would have been had I found this place sooner.

My best advice to all newcomers is if you find a post directly relating to your "brand" of anxiety you can go into the profile of the poster or any of the people who responded and then browse through their other posts, and responses to posts.  By opening their posts and clicking on the original post/responce post you will quickly find discussions directly related to your concern/issue without having to browse through page after page trying to find answers to your questions.  Take me for example, if you go into my posts you will be able to quickly access about 70% of the heart palps posts from the last year.

Again, welcome friends!  We're all here for you!  
Snack? Nay, say I. Martini is more like it. You write well and your material is a very good observation of what so many of us know and dread. And yes, isn't it amazing how good old Mr. P shows up after such a long time away?

Therapy did the job for me -when I really came to grips with How and WHY I got to be the way I was -it sort of lost its reason to even be there at all. With your medical background, you may have a bit of an edge when oit comes to plowing through all the stuff in your trunk.

Anyway, I'm glad you are among us and very much hope you are prepared for questions from those of us who would especially value a medical insight. Naturally, you are not expected to make a diagnosis and all who inhabit this forum understand that professional opinions can only be given by and sought from the doctors and experts with whom they personally consult.

Thanks for letting us know all about YOU.

-JSGeare
My name is Tony 25male  from Milwaukee, Wisconsin-nice to meet you all :), suffering from anxiety and stress for the last 10 weeks. i had a sexual encounter where the condom broke  Feb 16th w/another male and i've been testing myself every week for hiv, so far 7th week neg. but i have to wait until 12th week to be sure. everyday a different symptom, every week a different symptom. not sure if it's the hiv that taking over, or anxiety, or the klonopin/paxil side effects that i'm on. i'm going crazy. i've had every single symptom you can think of. i'm not sure if i can make it unitl the week of may 5th. I'm tired and want to give up. please god help me.
Hello all!  My name is Rachelle (I usually just sign my posts 'Shell') and my screenname is Shell1925.  I am a 29 yo F from PA and I am the proud mama of a 20 month old son!  I am new to this community, but have been on Medhelp for about 2 months.  I first joined Medhelp thinking I had a heart problem, but after my 3rd cardiologist clearing me I am beginning to think maybe this is all anxiety related, but I am still not 100% ready to accept that diagnosis.  I have a previous post on here with my story, symptoms, tests I have had done and diagnoses I have received.  I am just looking for that light at the end of the tunnel.  

I have been diagnosed in the past with anxiety, but have not been on any meds since March 2005.  I seem to be fine until I got pregnant in December 2005.  I am sure the 2 are related in a way but I am not sure all my symptoms are related to anxiety, and that is where the problem lies.  

I am looking forward to meeting people with the same concerns as me and hopefully we can all help each other in some way.  Thank you for the warm welcome and I look forward to meeting everyone!

Shell
I'm GLAD you are here.
And I'm SAD for the circumstances that brought you here.
With week #7 behind you, you are more than half way through, so I think you'll get through the whole thing OK.

The hiv tests are a good and necessary thing -but please consider some talk therapy to help cope, OK?

JSGeare
One thing that might help you establish to diagnosis is an evaluation with a shrink who should be as careful about tests for external causes as has been everyone else. You've been to the heart folks, so give the head guy a try and please tell us what you think after you do.

Glad you are here.

-JSGeare
What a wonderful idea! Is this limited to just the anxiety forum? I'd love to see this on all the forums. :)

I'm April. I've been coming to Medhelp for about a year. It started when I was getting scary heart palpitations which after a lot of testing I discovered I had PVC's and PAC's which they assured me many people have but don't always feel like I do.
The interesting thing is I never had these until about a year ago. I do think it was related to stress and anxiety but I was never officially diagnosed or seen for that.
I had a tremendous amount of stress over the last two years with my teenage daughter where I wasn't getting much sleep worrying and crying over her. Then I had to have major surgery too last Summer. It made me start realizing how much stress can put on the body.
Looking back, I think I've always had some mild depression from time to time and anxiety even when I was a child. I was very afraid of the dark and didn't like to be left alone. I had quite an imagination! Fear had a big hold on my for many years too. It was always something, like fear over my kids being kidnapped, etc. I struggled with intrusive thoughts too, which I've heard only recently that can be a symptom of ocd. I've always been a bit of a perfectionist and can be rather hard on myself (which could acount for the depression, etc.). I'm trying to do better with that and learn to give it over to God, but that can be so hard!
I'm much better now but I feel I owe it all to God. I rededicated my life to Him several years ago but really started seeking Him during this trial in my life these last couple of years.
These last few years has really put some things in perspective about how precious life is and how I should try not to waste my time here on this earth. Going under the knife and having to trust the doctors (and God!) showed me that I'm really not in control anyway (as much as I'd like to be sometimes!) For some reason that really calmed me down and helped a lot with letting stuff go. I still get depressed, anxious and stressed but it doesn't seem as bad and I can handle it better. At least I think so! It's a process. Some days I'm better than others.
You all seem like such caring, wonderful people. I'm so glad you all have each other to lean on. I'm also honored to meet you all.
Take good care of yourselves, and be blessed!!
April
My name is Shaina, I'm 26 years old and I'm a mother of 2 (5 year old and newborn).  I'm married.

I've had anxiety with panic attacks for a very long time and take zoloft to keep myself in line.

I just recently joined the community, I was looking for places like this after I had my last daughter.  I joined to have a place to ask questions and to read about people who have the same, or similar, problems that I do.  Sometimes it makes me feel better to know that I'm not the only person who needs help functioning sometimes.
Hello. I'm up late with a flu. I'm a 20 yr old English major.

This brings me to the reason why I'm here:  I have a phobia of doctors. My fear of doctors  often times exceed my fear of death. It's horrible. When I'm sick and I ask for help people will just say "Go to your doctor!", but I can't. I don't trust them. I stay up late at night with panic attacks just thinking "What if I get really sick and have to go..?"

I guess I have to attribute this fear to bad childhood experiences with doctors.

Fortunately I'm not afraid to go to the doctor for the flu.. because I know what will happen. She will just give me some medicine and send me home. Its "health tests" that I have attacks over.  Blood tests, etc, etc. If anything must be stuck inside me then I hyperventilate and just cling to the ceiling.

I also had/have an anxiety of driving. Just this past week I got over it enough to drive myself to school. It took two years of being driving along the same path by my boyfriend for me to feel brave enough to do it myself though..

Well, hello fellow anxiety-suffers! You cannot catch my flu over the internet so don't feel shy to say hi! This is a great place I just stumbled across. I was hoping that perhaps just "talking" normally with some folks from the medical community would help me out and show me that they are not pain-inflicting monsters.
Hi all, I'm beth, living in england, UK :)
For just under a year i've been having huge problems with depression and anxiety (this forum helped me understand what the problem was), and many other health issues.
I've been on med help for a month or so now, and its great, i honestly don't know what i would do without the people on here to reassure and comfort when i'm having a really **** day! No-one minds if you rant or if you're upset, they're there to help and its amazing how much a little note can cheer you up on a bad day :)
Anyone who ever wants to chat, add me and i will listen to any problems you have or just chat about normal stuff (i never seem to have anyone to do that with anymore!)
Hello to everyone on this forum. My name is Marie, gentle51 per secret code. I live in Idaho and I have come to this place to meet people with anxiety struggles that I have been experiencing since in my teens. My anxiety symptoms can happen daily depending what is going on in my life. I have plenty life happenings as all people do.

The career I have chosen for myself as a special education teacher for severely handicapped adolescents encompasses my life in many ways and the challenges in this field can be extremely difficult. I love working with this population so I must endure the struggles that are set before me on a daily basis. I am a VERY energetic person. I feel my anxiety energy is some of the fuel that I use daily to accomplish many tasks.

Currently I am seeing a Clinical Psychologist for my anxiety. Therapy has helped me very much face the demons of my anxiety. I am a stubborn individual so I insist on not receiving meds to help with my symptoms but I will not rule out ever taking meds. So those of you that are struggling with anxiety and panic you have come to the right place.
Reach out and find people that you can relate to and you never know who you might come across. It is a small world so open your eyes, heart and mind.

God's Blessings to All,
Marie
Sek:on - Hi

I am lonewolf from Toronto, Ontario Canada.  I'm Métis (Aboriginal).  My first post was about me wanting to commit suicide.  Have been suicidal for years.  I expected judgemental responses but instead received warm, caring and supportive messages.  Most of the folks who responded are now "forum friends", not strangers.

This site has been invaluable to me.  Whenever I feel like the dark side is taking over, I know I can come here and talk about it openly and honestly.  It has been extremely helpful to me and I hope that I can give back some of the caring to others who come here and do it "in mino bimajiwiin" - in a good way.

Megwich - Thank you

lonewolf

Greetings to all, and thank you for dropping by the "reception area."  Please do post your stories, questions and issues, and make contact with those whom you can help. We're all in this together!

If there are particular questions about how the site works, please post same or PM Greenlydia or me and we'll be glad to help.

-JSGeare
Community Leader
Hi!

My name is Jen - I go by Limonada because, well, I love lemons (you know what they say about trying to make lemonade out of lemons....!)  Anyway, I'm 30, from Canada...and I joined the forum because I've been suffering from some mild OCD/anxiety issues since my mom's death nearly 6 years ago which recently escalated into a major depression episode and severe health anxiety. I'm on antidepressants and waiting to start therapy....but feeling MUCH better compared to how I was feeling a couple of months ago!

I'm finding the forum very helpful....it's so nice that we can all help each other out like this :-)
kcdem in the house.....this forum has been a great experience for me. My first post was a desperate question titled "will I ever be the same". I was scared to death and thought I had permanent brain damage because of multiple medications I was put on in the hospital. I could barely write the post. I cant tell you how good it felt when greenlydia responded.

I have only been a member for a couple months but have met several wonderful people like; greenlydia, jsgeare, eronski,lonewolf (love the lonewolf),mystruggle,missingsomething,and of course the hitman60 and many more.

I am amazed at how accomplished these people are. I have learned so much from them and will continue to seek their experience, strength and hope. This is a great way to get out of yourself and help others. It is like a virtual AA meeting and I love it.

Welcome to everyone and I will do my best to share my experience and give back.

kcdem
Hi, I'm Liv, go by liv4now25.  I am divorced, have two kids, a girl 15 and a boy 7.  I have a wonderful and supportive boyfriend and I am also friendly with my ex.  I live in San Francisco and was diagnosed with panic disorder four years ago.  All was well until recently, out of the blue, I started getting panic attacks again, though not NEARLY as intense as they were before.  I've worked in the medical community for 16 years and come from medical parents who were riddled with anxiety and depression.  Honestly, I found this site when I was Googling cannabis and panic disorder.  I have found this site to be very helpful and I enjoy helping people when I can.

I am Erin (Eronski) and have really enjoyed this forum,  I have suffered with anxiety for most of my 43 years and still have managed to have a wonderful life.  I came here this winter when my anxiety came back full force after leaving me alone for many years.  I decided to take medication for the first time and was very, very scared.  I have learned allot by talking with the others here and have gotten through this transition well.

I am feeling very good now so I haven't posted any concerns lately - but I always check for someone who may need some encouragement and feel very blessed to be able to reach out and let people know that life goes on and living with anxiety is not the worst thing and so much can be learned from it.  I have also developed some great friendships which I am able to keep up with here - and it's a pleasure!  Take Care All, Erin
Sorry I'm late...........I've been busy beating the dust out of the welcome mat! (SNORT)
For all you "old timers," what can I possibly add to JSGs words except to let you know that I am giving ALL of you a standing ovation for all the awesome help you've given to folks on the forum. You have no idea just how much help you are to JS and I. This is a busy little place and we couldn't do it without you! Serious!
For all the "newbies," we are REALLY happy that you've found us and I know that you will find the help, support, understanding and friendship that all of us with anxiety issues need so badly. We are truly a "family" here, and like all good families, we help each other, which means that YOU can help US as well. You may think you have nothing to give, but you DO! I hope you will stay with us so that you can help other "newbies" who might need YOUR hand extended. Recovery can be a long and arduous journey, but when we help someone else carry their load, if only for a short distance, we have actually helped ourselves in the process.
JSG is the techno dude to go to, but here's a little secret: he knows squat about menopause!
Peace
Greenlydia  
I'm Amy and I've had anxiety and depression issues for years. I'm 32 and I'd say my depression started at puberty and the anxiety stuff happened more into my later teens.
I won't leave a long note here as I plan on being fairly active in the forums and in my journal so if anyone cares to know my story (as we all have one) It will be in my journal over time I'm sure...
I hope to give and get some support through this site.  I have A LOT of knowledge when it comes to issues of anxiety, depression, chronic pain and insomnia, among some other medical stuff.
I'm grateful that I've gone through what I have though, because with out all of it I wouldn't be where I am now...or rather, WHO I am now, and I like where I stand when it comes to my values and beliefs...Always using positive self-talk! :D

Alrighty,
Hope all are well and I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you!
Amy
Hi-
I'm Mia and I'm 39 and from Virginia. I'm a single mom with 13 year old son. I found this group a couple of days ago trying to ask a doc a question about my ptsd and it said not taking any more posts for the day.  I'm not sure i'm in the right place b/c I have so many issues right now (ptsd,ocd,adhd) but i hope that maybe I can get some answers to some of my problems and get to the point where i'm not dealing with EVERYTHING every day. Finding out how you all are managing can help me figure out what to try next.  
Mia
Hello!  I am suzi-q.  I have been around this site since November of 06 and stumbled upon it by accident while in another forum.  I have suffered with anxiety and depression for 13 years now.  It is pretty much under control and I am enjoying life to its fullest!  However, there are times I do slip back and get anxiety.  When I first started feeling so sick (13 years ago) I didn't know what was wrong with me.  It was terrible.  Every symptom was mine and this lasted every day for more than six months.  Doctor to doctor....it was terrible.  Finally, after get the help I needed I started getting my life back.  It was a long road, but it has definitely made me stronger.  I feel that I have a lot to offer while I still get lots of advice from this site.  I wish I knew about this when I was going "through it".  It would have been such a relief to know that there were others just like me!
Just setting this at the top of the stack so newcomers may see and respond.
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that posts.  I wake up shaking and scared and go out straight for a walk.  When I found this sight I was looking for information on lexapro and what I was feeling.  Just reading the postings has really helped me.  It calms be down and that helps take the fear away.  I'm feeling better. Thank you all,  Kat-attack
Also wanting, like our esteemed "elder" JS, to keep this post up front at the reception desk, I'd just like to add a gentle reminder to all the newbies to please take a second to fill out your profile. It really gives us a good idea of who you are, what you're dealing with and makes it's much easier for us to help you. You are also more of the "family" when you let us into your life at a level you are comfortable with. You can always add more later! And pictures are great! It can be you or anything that you feel "represents" you or your hot rod or hat collection..........just about anything is better than a blue or pink faceless Avatar! No digital camera..........no problem. JS will be happy (heh heh) to tell you how to import any pic off the net you want! I will be happy to help you with coloring and staying inside the lines, even tho I think it's healthier to color OUTSIDE the lines!
So, if you haven't done so already, take that second and go tell us some stuff about yourself!
We are so happy you've found us and look forward to seeing you around the "dinner" table!
Peace
Greenlydia
Hello -

My name is Bmore and I just joined this community and this is the first time I have ever been involved in an online community like this. I am very troubled right now with anxiety and OCD and I am just looking for some comfort and answers and also comfort others if possible.
My name is Donna. I'm 57 and have spina bifida occulta, twisted spine, rls, anxiety, depression, bi-polar and am on several medications that make me oblivious to life. I try to pass on info I've learned going through many years of  diagnosis and medications. I see so much of myself in the posts here. If anyone would like to e-mai me personally, my e-mail is ***@****.

I've been over on the substance abuse board for a while now (4 months clean from opiats) and the lingering anxiety does not seem to be fading. there are good days to be sure but they don't last.   I think it's possible that I have GAD.  I'm going to lurk over here for a bit and jump in later.  I'm not even sure what it is I want to ask yet.  I'm trying to tough this out without meds using amino's but I don't think I'll make it.  I thought the anxiety attacks were fading but I had another recently.  I may have to get "real" help soon.
Top O' The Mornin' to ye all. Dare I say from sunny Ireland. Sun + Ireland never go hand in hand. That's where the Mr Green comes from. Well Doh ! 38 and living in Dublin. Other than that? No news is good news. Hope everybody enjoys the forum and the help that is always close at hand.
I am relatively new to this forum.  My name is Carole, I am 59 years old, and live in Illinois.  I have a severe problem with anxiety, especially regarding medical stuff.  I have met the absolutely greatest, compassionate, wonderful people on this forum.  If it wasnt for their support, expertise, and generosity I really dont know what I would have done or be doing for that matter.  If you have anxiety related issues or suffer from PA, depression or any other emotionally debilitating condition, you have come to the right place.  The people here  have EXPERIENCED what you feel, therefore have the knowledge to REALLY help you, (unlike someone with "paper" that is not really familiar with what you are going through).  I am so blessed that I was directed here by my higher power, I will be on this site regularly.

Peace and love to all that enter
hi, my name is cheryl im 26 and i live in scotland. I've been using the site for a good few months now and find it really helps with my anxiety,i had a really bad panic attack months ago and i have suffered with anxiety and panic attacks since. i do not take any medication as i dont like taking pills and try to deal with it myself. i find this forum very helpful when i am feeling partcularly anxious and would like to say thanks to all those who have replied to my past posts:)
my nickname is surfergirl. I am 37, married, with two children 11 & 3. I am hypervigilant, I am a busy bee, enjoy athletics, and traveling. Howver, I have had attacks inthe past while I am driving. It scares me to death. I haven't had one in awhile, but yesterday I had a huge one. I felt I put my kids in danger and was losing control.  It scared me. Scared me so bad I am seeking out a therapist.  I cary ativan, but I took it during the attack and it didn't work. plus I do not want to drive with it. Nonetheless, I had to call my husband and a friend to pick me up.  I was truly embarrassed and crying etc.  In addition, where I parked was by a mall at a timeof day when people start shopping, so that didn't make matters better.  I tried to go into the mall but freaked out. I got physically sick, but was trying to be incontrol I didn't scare my kids. This took place for 3 hours.  Once I got home, I was exhausted. Now the next day, I feel like I had a melt down and am in recovery-weird. Itoo am a teacher of spec needs kids...have high energy really fun and go go go. I appreciate this part of me and really do not want to be on meds to change any of this. What kind of therpaist shall I seek out? I am really scared and sad.  But I need to face reality
I'm Isaiah4110, a 35yo female. My situation & reason/s for joining this forum & community is a little different from everyone else's. I do not suffer from AD, but have a friend who does, and I wanted to learn more about the symptoms, esp. with regards to finding out 1st hand from other sufferers what they actually go through on a daily basis, what it feels like, and how they've learnt (or are learning) to overcome it and manage the painful symptoms. My friend confided in me about his condition about 3mths ago, and I promised him that I will keep it in strictest confidence and be absolutely discreet about it. So I hope you can understand my need for keeping my true identity confidential, as I do not want to betray his trust. I think this forum & community is absolutely amazing, and I couldn't have found it at a more perfect time! I am currently going through some struggles of my own, questioning myself daily, whether it's ultimately worth it for me to keep offering my support to my friend, when it's stressing me out & putting a strain on our friendship. However, at the end of the day, the alternative (ie. to walk away from him) seems more painful for me in the long-term, because I know it's just something I cannot live with and it's just not in my nature at all. So far I've received such a warm welcome and amazing advice & insight from some of you, of which I am so so grateful for! I do hope to introduce my friend to this forum some time soon, and when I do, I know he will feel the same warmth as I do, and that he realises finally that he's not alone in this and that there IS hope and that he WILL beat the condition.
Hi Im CJ from Nevada i go by msanxiety because i have had anxiety since 1990.It has got worse over the past year.Have been on several medications was doing great for awhile and  agot a new dr and she stopped my meds and i havent been able to get back to halfway normal yet.I have always been very funloving and happy,now im also suffering depression and can find no medicine to work.i constantly worry Inm having heart trouble.last year i was in Er like 19 times in 2 months.So when i get these pains i think its my heart i just pray its not..as im afraid to go to these drs. I was on xanax for 17 years up till last year and i stopped it and ended up in a hospital.After that i did ok for awhile then the change in the meds again. Anyways Im a mother of 3 boys.recently remarried to the man of my dreams and i just want to get better.Have evert reason to but cant seen to stop the constant worry anxiety and depression.........its nice to find a place to hopefully makes some friends and learn from each other..
Hi my name is Kevin and ime from a small town called Stoke-on Trent in the UK and i dont think any of you will of heard of it but we make wedgewood pottery among others. I have had anxiety and panic attacks for 7 years with remisions in between. It was not until recentley i discovered what really was wrong with me. I am so happy to have found this site and to realise i am not crazy and not alone. Like princess Diana said ,please have courage in you own problems and compassion for other peoples. I believe we will get through this together and get better, and at the same time learn and make good friendships. Godbless you all. Ps by the way ime male, not that there are many females called Kevin, if your are out there send me a mail :)
hi there....I think I just realize my anxiety but much therapy is needed. I am a bit confused about how anxiety and depression work but I will soon find out. Anyway, I am totally repressed.  I have been reading on repression and it does awful things. Anyway, I am on the road to learning and dealing. I will soon get an eval from a psychiatrist...not that I want to do meds, but I need to deal somehow. Thanks
Hi, I'm new here..have been lurking for a while.  My name is Alley, 35, mother of 3.  Have had anxiety all my life, but have thought it was just the way people are.  My mother has mental issues too.  Agoraphobia, paranoia, depression of course anxiety/panic attacks.  I just try to make it through each day.  Had gone to a physcolgist for 2 years when it first started, haven't had talk therapy since then (1997), he told me there wasn't much he could do for me.  So, its me and my shrink.  :)   I found this website actually looking for info on seizures.  I read it alot during the day/night.  Glad I found it!!

Thanks,

Alley
Hi i am 31 yrs old and i am new to this site. I was told by my doctor that the the source of my vertigo, shaking hands and feet, headaches and nausea is anxiety?  I am not sure if i belive her but since i am not a doctor i will have no choice but to go with her decision for now. Has anyone ever taken topamax for anxiety and how well does it work?  
Hi my names Kristina and I live in Calgary, AB.  Im only 19 and still a little new to this site but I do find it helps me alot.  I got my first panic attacks twice 1 year ago but I didnt know what it was at the time and it never bothered me again until just over 1 month ago.  Its been pretty constant 24/7 like the chest pain and short breathe among other things but after joining this site I find im a little more relaxed then before.  So thank you to all who have been commenting on my posts its really appreiciated!
kristina-
Hello, I am new here and my name is Michelle.  My husband and our 2 children live in the sunshine state, Florida.  I am 42 years old and have suffered with depression and mostly anxiety since I was 15 years old.  I have had numerous tests done over and over and many trips to the ER only to be told it was anxiety, take these pills and get some sleep, like just sleeping will make it go away.  These doctors have no clue how this really is for someone and it's the worst thing I have dealt with in my life so far.  I gave birth twice, had a hysterectomy in 1992, had my gallbladder out in Jan of 07, and my thyroid out in Dec of 07.  With all of that anxiety and panic attacks are the worst because at least with the operations they are over with.  Anxiety is never over with... Just when you think your in the clear and things are fine and life is looking good again, it strikes.  I am on Xanax as needed as I refuse to be constantly medicated and want something that works right then and there.  So far I have to only take half a Xanax to control myself but at times have taken the other half.

I have a customer at work who suffers even worse than I do.  She never met anyone before me who suffers with this and she and I have become each others support.  I certainly will let her know of this site as I think it is very helpful and thank you for being here.   :)
hi, i am new to this.  i have had depression/anxiety since i was in my 20s.  i am now 52 years old and have been on effexor 75 mg for 6 yrs.  i have been getting anxiety attacks weekly or more often for the past month which are relieved by xanax.  has anyone out there been taking effexor and it stopped working for you?  i do not want to tke xanax too often, i do not want to get hooked on that.  i have been able to take effexor with less than 5 pounds weight gain--really do not want to switch to another antidepressant to felp my anxiety.
Hiya, I'm from England near the lake district (if that means anything to any of you) and i'm fairly new to this site . I have been suffering anxiety for about a year now but it was only through this site that i realised it and it's been my best cure ever since. I don't know if anyone over here would agree with me in saying this but i find that Dr's imply it to me (based on all tests being clear and the fact i've just had the worst year of my life)but they dont actually say it's anxiety they just send me away with a load of self help idea's and tell me i have nothing "sinister" going on which is of course great to hear, but sometimes i come away feeling a bit of a pathetic case when i'm usually such a strong person.

I do feel i'm coming out the other side now due to the varying types of treatments i've actually gone out and sorted out for myself (everything takes soooo long on the nhs)and my recommendations are.....this site (of course)....for the physical symptoms a good osteopath and sport/remedial massage and swimming ......for the mind I have used a counselor which was ok but I really recommend is LAUGHTER , find some of your funniest friends and take the time out to get together as a group and just have a real good laugh it really is the best medicine.

I know this sounds like a very simplistic view but it really is whats working for me especially on those days when you feel at your worst.

Still haven't worked out how to deal with the worrying though so any idea's ,send them my way!!

Great idea this BTW
hello my name is Theresa(lordineedhelp)  i have been on this site i for a little while now im married live in NH i have 4 great kids i have a huge heart i love helping others it tends to help me alot as well i spend alot of time on the living with an alacholic site latley i have depression and very high related anaxiety for a long time at times i feel im more so confused and wondering if maybe its more then anaxiety or med related and pretty scared of all the meds i have been on seem to cause issues(like ending up in the er on an ekg machine for stress and anaxiety related issues) as well as ease them i do try to reach out to people here sometimes they comment back and alot of times they dont im not sure if its the site or becaous i can be withdrawn my self based on what is happening with me latley every day is different just like my moods i have been so envolved with triyng to get through all the rough stuff with my husbands problem in return it has caused issues with getting more anaxiety hart palpatations bad mood swings paranoia at times i think i need to check out people in my family to find out what has been in this family but i did not know my mother so i cant just call and ask although i briefly know she had some kind of break down and had huge problems with drugs and alachol herslf etc so working on a few issues i have met some wonderfull people here who have reached out and its been great this was a great idea this should be done in other forums would love to meet some new friends to talk to with similar issues im sure it would bennifit all of us
Theresa
Hello my name is Laura(Laurallei) I live in Southern California and am 39 years old

I am new to this site and am very happy to have found it.  I have had anxiety and depression for some time but it got extemely bad in November.  I finally got on medication and it has helped.  I am currently taking 10mg of Lexapro that is just being switched down to 7.5mg and I am also starting a small dose of Kolonopin as need.  I am currently under the care of a wonderful Therapist and Psychiatrist.  I am learning to let go of control and allow these wonderful people to help me.  I hope that I can help others and I am sure many will help me with questions and concerns.  It is nice to know that there are others out there who have similiar experiences and are making progress.  So many other web sites are very negative about taking medication.  I think this negativity scares people off and they do not seek the care they need. I can deffinately say that has been the case for me. Thank you all in advance for being so kind and I wish all that join this community the best in there search for wellness.

Best Wishes,
Laura

Hi everyone,
I'm Caroline and I live in the UK.  For quite a long time now (years and years) I've been getting occasional semi-suicidal thoughts that really worry me and I'm really just looking for help understanding it.  I don't know if it's anxiety but this looks like the best forum to post on anyway.
I'll put up a separate thread anyway...
First time posting on here. I am a 30 year old male and I have suffered with anxiety and panic attacks since I was 13. It came out of nowhere although I believe the trigger to have been my parents constant arguing and the threat of there eventual split up. I had the racing heart, stomach pain and acid, shortness of breath, and racing thoughts. I would constantly worry that something was wrong with my heart, my eyes, or even that I would swallow my tongue. Very odd things for someone so young to be experiencing. Through the years I have had therapy and tried Klonopin, Zoloft, and currently Paxil to help alleviate this problem. I actually for a few years was relatively symptom free, but as soon as excess stress started my mind seemed unable to handle it. I have missed out on many things in life and have pushed myself to when necessary to not miss out on some of the more important things. Paxil has helped for awhile, but it seems now that I am working again in an office the symptoms are returning just as bad as before. I will probably talk with my doctor and discuss adjusting the meds are trying something else. I also do not like te dependance on medication and hope to find a more natural way of handleing things. To everyone on this board I want you to realize you are not alone. I felt like that for so many years and it drove me crazy. What you are going through is not your fault and it can be controlled. Stay strong!
Hi everyone. My name is Hope, Im 27 from Pennsylvania. I originally came to medhelp today to ask some questions about my fathers recent bladder cancer and possible prostate cancer. I also suffer from anxiety and take Lexapro for it. Anxiety runs in my family. My mother, Sister, Brother and I all suffer from it. Mine is usually worse in stressful times, or large crowds, but it had gotten to the point where i was having panic attacks at work. Started the Lexapro about a year ago and so far so good.. although i do still have my moments :)
Hi.  My name is Sue and I am a 52 year old woman who has suffered from clinical depression, off and on, since the age of 9.  In the mid 90's, I started experiencing anxiety but did not realize it.  I ended up in the hospital and was fine, on Zoloft, for some years.  I had surgery almost a year and a half ago and have been very anxious about my health since then.  I have a wonderful psychiatrist who has diagnosed me with GAD.  I take Celexa 60 mg, and Klonopin .5 3 times a day.  Recently the anxiety came back so bad that he added 100 mg of Wellbutrin to the mix.  I hate having to be dependent on these meds but would rather take them than suffer the horrible " black cloud" as I call it.  My question for all and Green Lydia is how normal is it to experience anxiety attacks if you are already on meds?  I have read through a lot of the posts but it sounds like they are from people who are not on meds.  Please help...thanks.
Hi there

I was diagnosed in 2005 and even though I've been diligent about taking my meds, etc, I battle every single day with this illness. I'm looking to share my experiences and hear from others who are going through the same thing as me. I've got Bipolar 2, rapid cycling.

Hope to hear from you all
Hello there,

My name is Jean-Sebastien Miousse and im 22 years old. I am a musician, composer, producer and orchestrator. My speciallity is orchestral movie music. I live in Quebec, Canada where i have my home studio.

I have studied by myself many topic such has physics, biology, chemistry, cosmology, psychology and now more and more medicine. Since my mom is dying from a terminal lung cancer i got interest more and more into medicine and especially cancer and the biochemistry assosiated with it.

I suffer from anxiety and mild depression since my mom got this cancer ( 5 months ago ) and i started to treat it. My symptoms are tight neck, neck spasms, suboccipital tightness and pressure, pressure on the forehead scalp and bridge of nose due to the nerves being irritated by the suboccipital pressure. It is also a combination of repetitive strain injury since i went out of town for 1 year to do a special study in movie music and i overused my laptop 12 hours a day all that year.

I'm an active member of the anxiety community and i like to help people and give clear answers that will help them in their fight agains't anxiety or at least provide them with good knowledge or scientific facts.

I resume, I am have a passion for music, science and health.
Hello everyone!  My real name is Bonnie.  I am new here and 29 years old.  Born and raised in Virginia.

=)

What brought me here is my problems with anxiety.  I've been having attacks for 10 years and while I am use to most of the symptoms some of them are still very scary.  I'm hoping to learn more things about the disorder and,  also hope to help anybody I can along the way.
Jake/23/male, Married, and 2 kids.
Had a pretty "cray" bout of "anxiety"....the word "anxiety" makes it sound so much prettier, because it was worse then a "panic attack".
Been here for about....a year, give or take.
I have some pretty controversial points of views on the whole "mental health" issue "and well all new age health"

Now for some..... reason my wife is beginning to expierience everthing I went through last year ", almost step for step, with same symptoms "shaking, insomnia, irrational nervousness, etc" almost the exact same timing.

And..well it feeds my fire even more that what "I" went through was not anxiety like I told the Docs, "to many symptoms"
Because The odds of 2 people in the same household, to have THE SAME symptoms "not just panic attacks" is completelty off the wall.
So now, here I am.....pretty positive its not "or never was" pure manifestion, but influenced by outside factors.

Also, Im not "new" to panic attacks.....Ive had them on and off throughout my life "normal 30 min's- hour" I beat those....this is nothing like that.

Any suggestions on factors in a house that could cause the following symptoms
Burning "literally burning" sensations, popping feeling in head, eyesite changes, respitory changes, insomnia, shaking/trembling "almost like your cold" SHOCKED feeling, eye floaters, Chest pains,Twitching, Jaundice like look in eye whites..theres probably more, just cant remember it all..O yea...BAD MEMORY. "LOL"

My first guess is Mold..Ive already found some in plain view, makes me wonder how much is in my Duct work, "which would explain the timing isue..now that its getting cold been using the heat."
Ive been working ALLOT so Im not here as much as my wife, shes a full time student online.
My name is Michael, I live in Portland OR in Washington County.  I have been diagnosed with bipolar mixed state, borderline personality disorder, social anxiety disorder, seasonal affective disorder, and obsessive compulsive disorder.  I am on a nice cocktail of cymbalta, lamictal, abilify and nuvigil as well as other supplements and non psychiatric meds like prilosec, vitamin D3, a multivitamin, Flaxseed Oil, Zyrtec, B-Complex time release, and probably other things as well I am just not remembering.  

I volunteer at NAMI of Washington County.  www.namiwash.org.  The national website is www.NAMI.org.  You should check it out if you have mental illness and don't know about NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness).

If you live in Washington County or even in another county check out our website or our building and see if there is something you could be interested in.  

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm selling something.  I just got put on the nuvigil and I think I'm a little hypomanic and really excited about finding this website and all the things and people available.

I'm new here and just been diagnosed bipolar and waiting to see a pdoc. feel free to add me. I have a lot of interests in other things as well and will take any advice I can get my hands on. I love science so any interesting things you find would be great. Also I love statistics. don't know what it is but love any kind of statistic. Also would love to hear anyone who wants to share there experiences with bipolar and any web sights that have any related info to stories and bipolar or just anything interesting as I love to learn.  I love to understand people and how they tick and I study everyone and how they act and interact. I think it steams from myself not understanding myself. I also have panic attacks and social anxiety. My dream was to become a psychologist for a long time but life has not allowed me to pursue that dream. I plan on going to school soon to be a nurse. I want to work with labor and delivery. I feel that it makes a big difference having a nurse that is understanding and caring in a very scary and exiting time in someones life. I have had good and bad experiences in that position since I have 4 children. So feel free to chat me up anytime :)  
hi there,

i am arturo, art for those who might have difficulties on the pronounciation... i am 30, i was first diagnosed with panic attacks, and axiety, then also with ocd on the pure o type, but as many people it would be too good to be only that, so i got symtomps from some other anxiety disorders, such as agoraphobia, usually i feel extreme anxiety when going outside, i got adrenaline surges, i have been taking medications for 11 years i think...  sometimes i have thought i also showed some 'borderline personality disorder' symptoms, anyway, it is difficult to deal with this stuff,.. if we add to all thiese things the bad things that occur in normal life, such as people desappoinments, sad events, maybe the loss of a job or something things become a little harder to deal with...

i am an engineer in industrial maintenance, especialized in electricity and telecommications, also study computers and all related technologies, i got a private pilot license when i was 24 years old,..

i found the site while was surfing the web searching either for ocd or clonazepam, i have been taking clonazepam for a long time, it has helped me to deal with the anxiety episodes when i go to the street... have you ever been at the mall and suddenly need like you need to take your pill? well same here, it supposes i should not take any medications, well ideally, or i do i should take the least from them, that is what my dr says, i havent seen him in months by the way... my favourite writer is arthur schopenhauer, my native language is spanish, i studied english as second language, and a litttle bit of german... i play guitar too...

i also belong to the communities that relate with anxiety disrders, anxiety, ocd, panic, and pretty much all the ones that use anti depressants and benzos for treatment...

i hope you find good info about your conditions so you learn from it and be able to deal better with it, and also friends to talk to...

take good care
art
Hi, I'm Suzy and I just joined the site about 2 hours ago and must admit, I went a little nuts out there, already making a profile, adding pics, writing ini a journal, answering a question, finding a new friend, etc...  

It's interesting on how I found MedHelp. I was Googling a medical question regarding pain medication causing gastro-intestinal problems. I started going through the list and MedHelp looked so cool.  I wanted to join right away b/c it appeared to be a place that would offer many answers to several questions I have regarding my health, which basically are:

Bipolar Disorder II -- Hypomanic w/ rapid cycling. I take daily meds for this and stay fairly healthy and in remission.
Cervical Dystonia -- I was involved in an auto accident, and shortly after I slowly developed CD, a movement disorder. It's a cousin disorder to Parkinson's.
Peri-Menopausal -- Just had a common surgery that women my age have and as a result, I don't menstruate any longer. It's odd but really cool..
PMS -- I know it sounds funny.. How could I get pms if I don't get a period any longer? I asked my doctor this same question and he said that even though the lining of my uterus has been burned off (via thermal ablation), I still have my pipes (so to speak) and my ovaries is what causes me to have the hormones that cause pms.
Gastro-Intestinal -- Back in 1994, I was dx'd with bleeding Gastritis. I took some random medication and I got better. Fast forward to 2010, the same symptoms I had in 1994 are re-surfacing.. I have an upcoming first appt with a new gi doc.

That's all I can think of right now.. I'm so glad I found a place where there's so much information.. It's kind of overwhelming, and I can see myself sitting here for hours at a time in the future!  

Thanks,

Suzy
Just an addendum to my previous post:  I wanted to clarify something I wrote in my introduction post..

I explained I have Bipolar II with hypomania. I also said that I take medication and therefore, I stay healthy and in remission..

That statement above is true, but as everyone who has bipolar knows, it's a daily struggle, no matter how much in remission, or how often or how well you take your darn medication.. Sometimes I wonder why I even take medication.. I've never taken myself off of my meds, and sometimes I really want to, but what keeps me from doing that is fear. Fear of being so sick again.  

Thanks! Take care all,

Suzy
Hi, I'm relatively new. I have posted before but nobody responded.  I have never officially diagnosed bipolar but feel I have a lot of the symptoms.  I had two hypomanic episodes within two years of each other  1989 and 1991.  The first was triggered by the death of my father.  The second really was because I came off my meds.  I am since on low maintainance dose 25mg at night, and have not had a manic episode since. I am on chlorpromazine. It works very well for me.  I am lucky in that I don't have severe lows. I just feel very sad and lonely sometimes. I suffer a little from social anxiety and any true friends I have live far away.. I am married happily with 3 lovely children, But have not made any friends where I live. I am extra lonely lately since my brother died of cancer last year, and feel I had no friends to support me through it and since. I love all music, especially rock and love to read.  I agree with the person who says laughter is great.  I am a great fan of comedy.
mishymoshymarcy I am the same person i was ... Comment
1 hr ago
EvolverU commented on 7+ months off Subutex...
1 hr ago
Meganann123 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...