Nighttime Panic Attacks?
Does anyone suffer from nightime panic attacks? Like, having nightmares and waking up feeling panicky every so often? Or just waking up nervous with your heart racing and body trembling? Some nights this happens multiple times per night, other nights (usually when I take Xanax before bed) it doesn't happen at all. It's very upsetting. I just did not know a person could wake up in the middle of a panic attack, I have enough of them during the day!
I'm not sure they're panic attacks - but I do wake up very often from nightmares in a state of extreme fear. I have very specific, clear dreams. I wake up with my heart racing, adrenaline running through me. It's been occurring for a few years and happens several times a week. I'm rarely able to get back to sleep. It's awful.

It can be pretty debilitating.
I finally discovered what stops the nocturnal panic attacks for me!  I hope my method can help others as well.  If you want to skip all the intro stuff and find out how I have stopped mine, go to the last paragraph of my post.

I've been having nocturnal panic attacks for about 15 years or so.  I used to get them only every once in a while, maybe 2 or 3 times a year.  But then about 6 years ago they started becoming more frequent.  I went to a psychologist for a while.  But I don't have any unusual anxiety during the day that we could identify.  But that didn't stop her from trying to pick apart every aspect of my psyche.  Ridiculousness.  Anyway, finally, after doing a little research, I convinced her and my PCP that I needed to go on an SSRI.  So I went on Paxil and that worked well.  They totally stopped.  

But then about a year ago I had to go off the Paxil for other reasons and the panic attacks returned with a vengeance and kept getting more and more frequent.  It got to the point that I was having 5, 6, or 7 or more EVERY NIGHT.  It was taking me 2 or 3 hours to fall asleep every night.

The only useful thing the psychologist had recommended to me was to take a video of my panic attack.  We watched them together and she pointed out to me that there are maybe 2 or 3 seconds between when I arouse from "sleep" and when the panic actually starts, and if I could gather my wits about me at that time then maybe I could consciously calm myself and keep the panic at bay.  She suggested I keep some item, like a special ring, by my bed, or post a sign next to my bed with a message saying "Calm down.  You're fine.  It's just a panic attack."  Something like that.  She said these things might help me focus.  Easy for her to say.  I mean, when I wake up like that I'm totally disoriented.  There's no way I'm going to read a sign.

But I was getting desperate and willing to try anything, so I made a voice recording of myself saying "Relax, it's just a panic attack. You're fine.  It will pass.  It's not dangerous.  It's no different from all the other panic attacks you've already survived."  I put it on "repeat play" and listened to it while I fell asleep.  I figured when I aroused, I'd have no choice but to hear it and listen.  It actually did help a lot.  I think it wasn't so much that I was listening and understanding the message, but that it helped me identify that "window of calm" before the storm -- those few seconds between arousal and panic.  I was able to train myself to force myself to be calm during those few seconds.  My heart might be racing and I might feel very panicked for several moments, but I only very rarely progressed to having full-blown attacks, where I would sit up in bed and scream at the top of my lungs for however long it took me to snap out of it.

So this was a vast improvement, but I was still experiencing the panic and it was still taking me 2 or 3 hours to get to sleep at night.  This was especially bad for me because I have high blood pressure and a history of cardiomyopathy (unrelated to the panic attacks).  I'm on medication, but my heart's not the strongest.  I kept searching for an even better way, and I finally found it!  It works for me, and I hope it can help at least some of you, if not all of you.

Anyway, here it is.  As I'm falling asleep, I focus on something and block everything else from my mind.  It could be one word or a short phrase or an image.  It's not easy for me to stay focused like that.  Actually, I hate it.  When I'm in bed, I like to think about what happened that day, and what's going to be the next day.  I like to let my mind wander.  So it's very frustrating and boring and annoying for me.  But it's not as bad as the panic attacks, obviously.  But it is very difficult.  My mind will frequently wander, but I always force myself to refocus on that one thing.  I'm thinking I might resort again to making an voice recording of me saying just one word or short phrase.  But this time, instead of ignoring it until I arouse in a panic, I will force myself to concentrate on it as I'm falling asleep to the exclusion of other thoughts.  I don't know why, but this completely gets rid of the panic for me.  I still have those 5 or 6 arousals every night, but instead of feeling panic, I just feel a vague sense of uneasiness.  My heart doesn't start racing and I don't completely wake up (but I still have to force myself to focus and not let my mind wander, which gets more difficult as I get closer and closer to deeper sleep).  So the arousals occur closer together and I am able to fall asleep quicker.  I am so happy I've finally found relief.  I hope my experience will help some of you.

Good luck, and have a restful sleep.
So glad to hear that others suffer from these nasty, sneaky, never know when their coming buggers!!! I'm a 35 year old female and I had my first one after working a stressful job about 4 yrs. ago and they've been with me ever since. I hate them, I used to be so carefree, no worries, take life as it comes...not anymore!! And frankly is pisses me off!! I know it's in my mind and it will pass but it controls me and I hate not being in control. I haven't been to the dr. but plan on going now that I've read everyones stories. It's funny how reading about anothers pains can make one feel better but it does. All in all I miss the old me....soooo much!!!
I used to get them alot through the day but I don't have as many through now. I have had quite a few recxently at night though and recently had a really bad one at night...all of a sudden...2:30 a.m I wake up....you know the rest, butterflies in my gut...feeling on edge, can't get back to sleep, I tingle all  over...but really feel it in my arms the most, then the shakes start, like I'm freezing (but I;m not) sometimes I get a cold face cloth and put it om my forehead, with the fan on (I always sleep with a fan on) and I will shake like crazy but usually end up falling back asleep after trying to think about something other that the terrifying moment I am going through.
What gets me the most is how there is no way you can posibly explain to "anyone who has not had one" what it feels like!! I try to tell my husband and he feels so bad for me but really doesn't know what I;m going through. I actually recently resulted to taking a gravol at night, and it keeps me asleep, and if I do wake up to go to the washroom I can get back to sleep. Yet I wonder if this is good for me.
So for now I will make an app. with the Dr., and see what he suggests, it's just that I hate taking medications...I've yet to try Adavan (or however you spell it) but my friend swears by it.
Thanks for sharing your experinces with me, it was very comforting, and I have a few new things to try to help control things when they reoccur....take care all :)
It is great to read about people experiencing what I have lived through for over 14 years.  I will tell you what I have discovered, because, like many of you, I have been to ALL KINDS of doctors.  Some have diagnosed me, after various tests, and some have drugged me (Valium and Clonazapam made them stop), but this is a bandage and will cure the root problem.  

I discovered the root problem when I went to a nutritionist.  She uncovered food allergies and a parasite in my system.  I believe that the parasite (Blastocystis Hominis) has been destroying my digestion and wreaking havoc on my central nervous system for years.  I came back from living in Venezuela in 1994 and I have had panic attacks at night until February of this year when I started an herbal regimen to get rid of the Blastocystis Hominis.  After about 1 month, I saw this rash around my intestines, and then I felt so good that I stopped taking my medication at night.  I slept through fine!  No nighttime wakings at all.  I often felt as if my throat was closing and I would wake gasping for air (with a racing heartbeat).  So scary.  In spending so much time diagnosing myself, I have ascertained that 1) drugs are not the answer, 2) there is something PHYSICALLY wrong with me that went undiscovered for years that has been impacting my sleep, and 3) it will be difficult to get rid of.  I have tried herbs, Chinese medicine and many antibiotics, and I think it is still with me.  I believe it is highly resistant after living in me for so long.  My digestive system is trashed.  When I am on something to kill it off and watching my diet, my sleep is good.  Hopefully I will be fully rid of it some day!
I have panic disorder, and the most disturbing episodes are the nightime ones described so well here.  I wanted to share something that's worked well for me, though it hasn't completely solved all my problems ;)
I've been doing mindfulness meditation every day for the past 9 months, and it has greatly helped my daytime issues, to the point where I rarely have issues.  You can explore mindfulness many ways, through Buddhism, through various clinical techniques, like Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, etc.  It takes time and practice, and it's not the same as pure relaxation meditation techniques (which can be very helpful!).  The result is to reduce the mind's tendency to "react" to negative physical symptoms, with I hope obvious benefits.
Good luck everyone!
These attacks are indeed scary/.
Were you ever tested for sleep apnea?

Jerr
I have the hardest time trying to fall asleep.  Seems that as soon as I relax and my breathing slows down I start gasping for air.  I get feelings of panic and anger and I cant sit still at all!  I take in deep breaths and most of the time I have to start moving various body parts just to try to get it out.  The day after my third knee surgery I was up all night pacing the floor in the living room.  Sometimes I will go outside and walk up and down the road just to try to "get it out".  The feelings are so intense it is really hard to describe.  I have been put on valium, xanax, antidepressants, the whole 9.  Nothing seems to help.  Anyone have any ideas
This is meant for people who wake up gasping for air an hour after going to sleep. After years of experiencing this and blank looks from my doctor, I found a solution: leaving the night lamp on! I still wake up but there is no panic. I hope this helps some of you.
In my opinion, we can experience panic attacks any time of day.  When I initially went through them, my anxiety would actually spike when I was getting ready to fall asleep because that is when I did not have the distractions that I had during the day to keep the anxiety at bay.  I also would wake up from nightmares as well, and of course they are much worse when we are already stressed out from being stressed out.

The big thing for me, was to keep on moving forward even though it was hard at the time.  For me, seeking long term counseling for it, gave me the ability and knowledge to confront the anxiety, and as I learned to manage it better, the anxiety and nightmares subsided quite a bit, but from time to time of course it will flare up, but as you learn to confront it, the knowledge you gain will never leave you....keep us posted!
Hi everyone, sorry to read so many posts of suffering and misery caused by these terrifying panic attacks. I have been a sufferer of anxiety/panic disorder for 13 long years and recently began experiencing panic attacks in my sleep. Upon researching countless sites i discovered why this was happening and hopefully it may be of some help to you. As you are probably aware, anxiety sufferers generally over breathe, usually without even realising it and i found that when i had been rushing about in my daily life, working, picking up/dropping off kids, shopping, housework and the like i would more than likely be doing this in a less than calm manner, resulting in shallow breathing (without being aware of this of course) and would then drop into bed exhausted from a busy day. As i fell asleep, my breathing would become deeper and more regulated as my body relaxed and sure enough within an hour of falling asleep i would shoot out from my bed in a complete frenzy, rushing downstairs with a bid to escape from what i thought was impending death, heart pounding,dizzy and feeling i couldnt breathe, just to turn around and get back into bed and go back to sleep??  What i learned was that as i fell asleep, the transition of my breathing from shallow, to deeper, slower breaths would cause an irregularity in the oxgen/carbon dioxide levels in the blood and this would cause a nocturnal panic attack. To prevent this now, i make sure i relax a good hour before i fall asleep and concentrate on deep breathing and hey presto it doesnt happen!! Hopefully this may be of some help for you all, im confident it works!!
Wow, glad to see I'm not alone in this either! I too wake up with my heart racing or pounding at times. What really freaks me out is when I'll feel like I'm falling or floating just before opening my eyes, when this happens there's no chance of me getting back to sleep and it's very frustrating. Not only that I often scare the hell out of my fiance when I wake up shaky and "omg'ing". Then I go into full panic mode, I tend to get really bad trembling and stiffening of my muscles and it tends to last longer during the night hours. Sometimes I can get to sleep but it's usually an hour or two before I need to be up. -_-
Hello all,
I've suffered from panic and anxiety for years. I am a 40 yr old female and with two teenagers, a husband, and a 2 1/2 yr old, and a 1 yr old, I tell myself, "no wonder", ha ha, busy mom run, run, run. You'd think I would just drop and sleep well at night.
Every once in a while, although 2 nights this week, I have laid down, and my mind just won't shut off. I am easily startled, I feel like I start to drift of, thinking about God knows what, and wide awake I am, feeling like I'm breathing shallow, almost like a gasp and then I get anxious and the heart races, then I check my pulse like an idiot, ha ha, which makes it worse.
My son just started sleeping all night but still sleeps in his playpen next to our bed, I don't know if that plays a part, or if it's just anxiety that I get sometimes throughout the day that just follows me to bed.
I got up at 12 and took a xanax, which I am not a pill person, but seens I have to take care of 2 babies all day, I needed some rest. I finally fell asleep but wide awake at 6. I wish I could just get a solid 7 or 8 hours....What do I do????
you are right its just panic and anxiety attacks hun x
I've been dealing with anxiety and panic attacks for many years. But recently, I've started getting this very nervous, anxious feeling at bedtime. I feel my heart speed up, I get the cold sweats and I feel the fight or flight response kick in. I have bizarre dreams and usually don't get more than 2 to 3 hours of sleep each night. The sleep issues have been going on for many years, but this anxiety feeling just recently started. I usually only get anxiety during the day, so this is new. My doctor used to prescribe Xanax for me, but she recently stopped my refills, stating I need to see a specialist in mental health. Problem is, I haven't worked since 2008 and have no insurance. Seeing a counselor simply isn't an option. When I had Xanax in the past, I only took them when I had a severe panic episode. Therefore, a bottle of 30 pills could last me 2 to 3 months. I didn't abuse them, so why would my doctor be so uncaring as to stop the one thing that really helped me, knowing I have no alternatives at the moment? I've tried several SSRI medications, but after a week, I am usually sick as a dog from stomach upset. I already have an underlying stomach issue (acid reflux) so my stomach is already churning 24/7. The SSRI's just make it unbearable. So it seems I'm up against a wall with nowhere to turn. And this is getting worse. I am so sad I don't know what to do. It feels like my life has come to a screeching halt.
Hi im new to this place ... i never knew what was happeing to me cause it only happens 7-8 times a year but my symtoms are a lil diffrent  the yours , i feel like im about to fall alsleep  and then i get this horrible heavyness and i have no choice but to close my eyes and then when i do i feel like im traped in my dream no matter how short they are and i tell my self to wake up screming at my self cause i cant breath , and im gonna die  and my mouth drys ... and im scared please tell me whats going on  dose anyone have the same as me ??  im a 27 yearold female.  and im scared
I am a male 24(was 22 at the time of my first attack)
Alright, a story about my very first panic attack. So it was 2009, I think, I didn't sleep at all(I broke night), because I was quite excited about getting an Xbox-360(yeah, I have the heart of a kid, sue me =p) so I test played it at Target(a mega store in the US). Fast forward 8 hours, I hooked it up and everything, then I found my self to be dead tired(it was 10pm) I was stressed about transferring about 20 burned CDs of songs onto my mom's MP3 player(she didn't know how) and setting up my 360(I suck at multi-tasking). I remember dreaming about downloading a custom map off Xbox-live. The download was corrupted, and tried to load. So I was stuck dreaming of a pause screen saying NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING! I woke up thinking "Oh god, what the hell?!" It just kept racing through my mind, I thought it would never stop,(I was shaking, sweating, scared, heart racing, and everything) I got the Sponge bob theme stuck in my head to stop it(yeah, I know, this is a dumb, but my 6 year old brother loves Sponge bob, I had to repeat the song 45345345 times) I took a walk after at 3am(yeah, I woke up my mom, she wasn't too happy, my dad bitched like crazy) I fell asleep 2 hours later, not knowing what happened... I'll post a story of my other attacks later(it's nearly 3am and I can't sleep, and was quite happy to find this thread, so happy to not be alone...) Probably messed up my story, and my grammar, but yeah... it's nearly 3am. Oh, and no meds yet, I am seeing a doctor in a few days. *sigh*
that is called Astral Projection. It is when your sleeping and your physical body is still on the bed sleeping but your spiritual body is leaving you. your going up from your physical body and your seeing yourself sleeping. and you think to yourself huh? im actually flying. And your are your going up from your bedroom on top of your house and then on top of buildings and you realize your flying and that you are. This astral projection is perfectly normal and it happens to every single one of us. It actually happens to everyone, every night! but we dont realize that were leaving our bodies but sometimes we do.

To learn more about this:

http://www.theartofastralprojection.com/lp?sr=1&cid=Search-US&aid=Astral-Projection-EM&placement=&gclid=CNLVttPTua0CFYMEQAodh0gr8w
Had panic attacks in my teens, all the usual, short breath,palpitations,clamy, hot,cold, heart attack,death thoughts....the whole package.I got over them,but now at 45 I am having insomnia, sleep a couple of hours, awake hot/cold, feels like im sleeping longer,but awake 2 am, 3 am, then my heart races, then I panic, I get up, try to calm down, pace up and down, walk outside in the cold as it feels 'safer', all stems from a mere high blood pressure reading, that has triggered the 'fear' juggernaut as if it had never been away..I have lost 5 kilos in 10 days, changed diet in that time, walk 20min-30 a day, during the day I am ok, no palpitations, stress...it's nightfall, getting into bed is the start of it, what can I do to just get in bed and have a straight 6 -7 hour sleep and awake without the anxiety?????? I want to sleep, can anybody help?
I have researched foods that cause nighttime panic attacks and along with the obvious one of caffeine, chocolate has a compound in it (besides caffeine) that can cause nightmares. In addition, there is very little research on this but some processed foods have additives in them and preservatives that can contribute to alterations in brain chemistry. I think the best thing would be to cut out caffeine after breakfast, and eat only fresh, unprocessed foods at dinner and after dinner. I frequently have panic attacks in my sleep that started about 2 years ago, but my mom told me that when I was younger if I had Vienna fingers or chocolate ice cream before bed I would wake up convinced that ants are crawling all over me. Twenty years later, it seems the same triggers are starting to affect me again.

It may be a good idea to keep a food diary, and add some cardio exercise into your routine for the good endorphins. Just read that 45 minutes of cardio 3x a week can be just as effective as anti-depressants for some people. Granted, many of us say "I'm not depressed, I have anxiety," as I have for years, but the truth is- it's a fine line, and we can really cross over at any time. Exercise is a great choice. When my anxiety got really bad by freshman year in college, cardio exercise helped me to get my heart rate down throughout the day because I was in better shape. This helps because your body does not feel the symptoms of an anxiety attack, the racing heart, as strongly. Your heart may be able to handle things better.

Just some ideas. Medications have not worked for me, and have caused me increased depression, hallucinations, and vertigo.

This is a tough ailment to suffer from, because it affects all aspects of our lives and no one can understand it!
I am the mother of two adult children who have had panic attacks for years. As far as I have read no one seems to have a solution. Self help or medication, physological help maybe can aleviate the symptoms but they don't get rid of them and medications have side effects.
Now we all have something that causes us grief. Yours is the panic, with others it could be addictions, cancer, MS or living a life of crime, having an unfaithful spouse, being abused, being born with a disability, a combination of a few and the list goes on. What people don't seem to realise is that answers can be simple. For you- continue to do those things that help you when the panic is there but do something else that will start to lead you in the right direction. There is generally a cause. Ask God what this is. Ask Him to heal you. Get a bible and start reading and have a highlighter handy as sometimes passages seem to reach out to you speaking the words you are crying out in your soul and they give you comfort. I don't want to go on but we have been created for a purpose. Apparently the bigger the struggle the more you will be used. Obviously Gods adversary doesn't want you to succeed with your purpose. God knows the purpose He has created you for, ask Him to take over your life and your problems (visualise yourself handing them over like you hand over a parcel) and then try and relax knowinig that He will do this. He knows whats going on - you only need to reach out and he is waiting for you to do this Talk to a good minister in a christian church or a christian friend. Don't be afraid to do this, you will be suprised what others are going through, you are not going crazy, you just need to understand you are in a battle and you need to come to believe that the battle is not yours - but Gods.
Hang in there.  
A mum
Hang in there.  
A mum
hi, I am a 47 year old male who I think is just starting to suffer panic attacks mid sleep.  I just woke up and my left arm was numb and my heart racing.  I was just weened off high blood pressure pills   and had some horrible sleepless nights.  I was put on a low dose Lorazapam1mg to help calm down and sleep at night.  After 2 nights i though i would could make it through the night without taking one and just 30 minutes ago woke up after sleeping for less than an hour with a racing heart and numb left arm.  I am freaking as this has never happened to me before.  Help!  Has anyone else experienced this?  I am shaky and as I write this, my heart rate has come down.  I don't want to get hooked on sleeping pills as I heard thy can be addictive.
Panic attack ????1/27/12 my first issue  they say caused by an asthma/allergy attack... but my heart rate has been constantly over 88 since that all day and at night on xanax and off...( week 3 now they gave me xanax without a holter or cardiologist) and i still wake at 3 am and 530 am ( sometimes more) with a pounding heart/ sweting some nights worse than others... when i lie on my left side it feels like my heart skips or wiggles then pounds( like gas bubbles but in your chest)...... I keep asking for a cardiologist but my primary keeps pushing drugs and saying panic....i've been weak and winded for 3 weeks..... THIS IS NOT ME...  two weeks before this i  was fast walking  35 min on a treadmill and walking up and down the block for exercise... no problem..... now to get up to go to the bathroom at night i'm shaky and weak
Almost every night I wake up around 2am heart racing almost crying from feeling so anxious and I don't know what to do. I usually fall back asleep by 4am or so from just being so echausted. My older sister has major anxiety issues and the older I get the more I think I'm developing them as well.
Hello all, I am a 49 year old female who suffers from periods of severe anxiety. In the last week I have been waking up between 6:00 and 6:30 a.m. with a racing heart, heavy breathing and a feeling of panic. There have been changes in my job recently, but I have been assured that my position is safe, yet I still experience feelings of fear of "losing everything" -my house, dogs, etc. I owe money (like everyone else) but I am totally current on bills and mortgage. I know intellectually that everything will be alright, but I still experience the panic attacks. I was taking Lexapro and Zyprexa at one point for some time, but went off of it months ago without any problems until recently.
Any advice? Thank you.      
i have the same prob as u and idk wat causes the problems i just have these sudden heart racing attacks at night where u try to go 2 sleep but then u feel yourself bouta die and idk wat it is....i need an answer
Dear all
I'm a 46 year old woman who's been having night time panic attacks 3 or 4 times a week for about 8 months. I didn't know they were panic attacks until seeing my doctor 4 weeks ago with other signs of stress that occurred during the day. I had thought they were hot flushes due to peri-menopause. I completed a depression questionnaire and was diagnosed with mild depression. I didn't want medication though, trying to cope without it. I took 2 weeks annual leave from work but then went back for 3 days and walked out of work 2 weeks ago because I couldn't cope anymore. Just couldn't seem to concentrate or think straight.
I have seen my doctor every week, started counselling (only 1 session so far but going back next week), I've been getting better everyday following a stress control course. Had another panic attack last night, but I know that I will get better.
For all those people asking  "What's happening to me?" You need to look at why you feel the way you feel and why the body is reacting this way to get you through the panic attacks - day or night. It's usually about a lack of carbon dioxide due to hyperventilation which causes a sense of shortness of breath, blood vessels constrict and the heart starts to pump harder to get blood around these narrowed blood vessels, and you get too much adrenalin in the system. If you understand what's happening to your body you're better able to control it.
I'd recommend the following websites as they provide great help.

http://glasgowsteps.com/home.php
http://www.mind.org.uk/help/diagnoses_and_conditions/panic_attacks

I hope that these are helpful.Good luck. J xx
I wake up at night feeling the same way. It is frightening.  I begin to feel like I need someone to talk to right away to comfort me - to tell me that I am o.k. I believe it is caused by stress and irregular sleep.  I will not take medication to relieve stress because I believe that would eventually increase my anxiety.  I pray, I and have reached out to a relative to help calm me down. It is embarrasing at times.
We have to find ways to calm ourselves.   I have herbal teas that help with anxiety on hand always and I will immediately get in the bath to feel the water.  It calms me.  We will be fine because we have to believe it will not last and it doesn't.  
I wake up at night feeling the same way. It is frightening.  I begin to feel like I need someone to talk to right away to comfort me - to tell me that I am o.k. I believe it is caused by stress and irregular sleep.  I will not take medication to relieve stress because I believe that would eventually increase my anxiety.  I pray, I and have reached out to a relative to help calm me down.  
Im so glad to have found this site. I too am suffering so bad with these nocturnal panic attcks. Im 25, only used to suffer from anxiety & panic attacks during the day but then they started coming of a night & they are so much harder to control especially when u are exhausted and all you want to do is sleep. Mine happen as im falling asleep when i eventually do drift off i seem to be fine but some night i watch it get light as i desperatley try an drop off to sleep. Its very scary. I will be just about to drift off & i shoot up gasping for air feeling like im fighting to stay alive its so intense & so scary. My heart doesnt pound tho i am just so so tired i lie there & try an get bk to sleep only to have it happen over & over again i feel so privliged if i manage to get a night where i just drift off to sleep normally. I am a newlywed, happily married & desperate to start tryin 4 a baby but worry how this would effect the baby. Anyone suffered these nocturnal panic attacks whilst pregnant?
I pray we all find a cure for this & one day soon manage to just fall asleep normally & stay asleep. Its good to know im not alone. xx
I am a guy in my late fifties, and suffered night panics for many years; I was like so many out there, waking up terrified with what was going on with my body. Having forums like this now is a wonderful way to connnect with people especially young people  who have the same problems, but can now, realise they are not alone; For me I believed I was the only person in the world feeling these horrible symptoms, and unfortunately my doctor , made me feel that as well. Life  today is so full of stress, worry and bad news, and most of us are spending our days at work or at school or college trying to keep on top everything that is thrown at us, trying to relax completely  is truly not that easy. My advice which has helped me, is to try and not beat yourself up about what is happening to your body, just accept it, dont fight it  and try and love yourself even more for experiencing  such sensitivity.My advice to young people is to look at the posts from some of us older people out there, and realise after maybe years we are still here, after all the panics we have had. I look back at my life and I can honestly say that having these panic attacks, particularly at night, have made me a far more sensitive and caring and understanding person, than from the person I may have been; It altered my life, and career, but I can honestly say, I would not want to be any different to how I am now. Peace to everyone x

I suffer from the same thing, I have to wake myself up to start breathing and get my heart back to normal.

Did you come across any causes/treatments?

I have experienced all of these issues that have been mentioned and because I fear it so much I get sacred of going 2 sleep. I will stay up way into the early hours of the morning until I'm so exhausted I can no longer keep my eyes open, I'm then up at 7 with my very energetic 4 year old! I suffer from panic attacks throughout the day which increase at night time and anyone who has ever had a panic attack will know they are very similar 2 heart attacks therefore I constantly think the worst and fear sleep either because I will wake up breathless and confused through the night or for fear of not  waking up at all. I think I'm crazy! But its comforting 2 read I'm not the only one with issues
Hi guys gald so glad to have affirmation that Im not crazy for feeling what I feel. I too stay up till the weee hours of the morning hoping to just knock out. I got my first attack in early Jan. Ive been to the the er and in and out of the doctors ever since. Feeling like I was dying.Last time I was there I was told my ticker is fine after an ekg my bp is a bit high like 138/90. I read on some of your posts the importance of a good diet before you go to sleep. I Will definately stay away from any heavy greasy food after 7. And ty to come up with some relaxation routine. I think I might get abit more sleep tonight  with some of this new knowledge and knowing im not the only one that suffers with this. Ty all. Now lets try to get some sleep!! :)
My husband has had tremendous anxiety, panic attacks, terror dreams, huge insomnia, and panic wakeups for 21 months now, and it has been quite a life change for both of us.  He has been on various psychiatric meds, many of which didn't help or drugged him out way too much (like Seroquel, highly recommend against this drug for depression/anxiety); but is currently on Klonopin, Buspirone, 5HTP, Gaba, and theanine.  This current regimen is helping him somewhat, and there has been some noticeable healing in the past 2-3 months thankfully.  He still wakes up in the 4am or 5am hour and often can't go back to sleep, otherwise he wakes up with terror dreams and panic attacks, with his heart palpitating and his body trembling; so that is really rough on the quantity of sleep that he gets, and therefore he has less serotonin in his body (amongst other things) and less of a feeling of wellbeing/calmness.  The daytime anxiety is still worse in the morning, a bit less in the afternoon, and quite a bit less in the evening if there are no stressful things happening and if he is not ruminating about anything that is stressful.  It's still quite a mystery what is going on, but he continues to eat healthfully and on time, take all of his prescriptions and supplements, and get moderate amounts of exercise (can't exercise vigorously like before, otherwise he feels uneasy and perhaps adrenaline-depleted).  We are thinking about seeing a naturopath who specializes in endocrine issues, and with all of the testing that she orders, we feel we might be able to hone in on the imbalances that are happening.  Thankfully the testing we want is covered by insurance because this neurotransmitter test is $3,000 and takes a month to be fully evaluated.  We will see.  Peace to everyone.  You are not alone, and there are natural supplements and herbs that can help at least somewhat.
Also, looking into sleep disorders and getting a sleep test is a good idea for people who are having problems with insomnia and anxiety.  My husband had a take-home and in-house sleep test recently.  The take-home test revealed that he has severe sleep apnea, and we are awaiting the results of the in-house test currently, but I'm sure they'll show the same results and perhaps other sleep disorders in addition to the sleep apnea.  My brother also has sleep apnea and had anxiety and panic wakeups, and now that he is using the CPAP machine and mask, his anxiety/panic is gone.
The effect of more hours of darkness on many people can be relieved by taking extra Vitamin D3 and use of a full-spectrum therapy light.  Seasonal Affective Disorder may be making your nighttime panic attacks worse.
Try it and see if it helps.  I hope so.
Had my first night time anxiety attack in a long time. I woke up around 330am with the whole body tingling, cold, sense of doom. It was like riding a wave of anxiety. Up and down. It would get intense and subside. Really bizarre feeling. I just rode it and fell back asleep only to wake up an hour or so later to it being more intense. I had to pee urgently, I was shaking severely, the waves were coming faster and more intense. Is is possible to have an anxiety attack for 3 or more hours straight? I was really getting worried I was dying. I popped an ativan, and the bugger didn't even touch it. That really freaked me out. I decided to get on the internet to see if this was normal, and it seems most of what I was enduring is. Just still haven't found many people how haven't had ativan work, or who have expeienced "waves"  of anxiety that just doesn't stop.
For the past 2 months, ive had paniac attacks.. every night. During the day im fine, i mean i can feel them coming on, but i can do something, & it'll take my mind off of it., & im fine. But at night time, i have NO CONTROL. My heart starts racing, i get shortness of breath, i get dizzy, i feel detached from everyone, & i have the fear im dying. When I first started having them, i had no idea what was wrong with me. My mother took me to the ER, 2 different times. The doctors said nothing was wrong, my heart beat waa normal, & blood was fine. I thought i was goinf crazy. Nobody understand what i was going through. My parents couldnt even comfort me, they tryed, but it wouldnt help. Im only 15. Since ive had panic attacks, its changed my life, my body, & me. Im not the same person i use to be. I cant even live my life, do things i enjoy, because i fear of going into one. I always feel anixious, uncomfortable, nervous, scared. I hate it. I hate whats it done to me. I have no idea what to do. I need help, any advise would helpp!!!!! Ive tryed everything. NOTHING HELPS. My paniac attacks can last up too 1-2 hours, sometimes the whole night. I get no sleeep! I eventually doze off when i get exhausted. Can anyone tell me what i can do , when i go into one? what causes panic attacks? How can i stop them from happening? or what can i do to control them???!
Yes I get the panic gasping for air all through the night thing. I hate it it scares me I feel like my heart stops then its pounding when I wake up. I have wonder what it was for years.
Wine doesn't have 'sulfites'. They put sodium metabisulfite into wine when they make it, but it changes into a non-sulfite form due to chemical reactions long before you drink it. The stuff stabilizes the wine and renders the yeast immobile and takes out bacteria but only for 48 hours. People who say they are having a reaction to sulfites in wine are more likely reacting to the tannin in the grape, which is a problem for many people.
I have the same thing that many people have posted here.  Waking up between 2 and 4 a.m. gasping for air, heart racing.  In about 5 minutes I am usually back to normal, but still a little worried it will happen again.
I have anxiety problems in the day time as well.  I take Lexapro.  Sometimes I need a little Lorazepam.   I often go to kitchen and have some Chamomile tea as well.
tell yourself this is panic feeling is my new third arm, it is part of me., This is part of your day, just play the game and learn how to make it a game.(mental note: you have no choice this will take away the being scared feeling or bringing it on ) with it learn how manage yourself while your actually in the attack. You really need to have faith in G-d meaning knowing that you are safe.

when you are scared you bring it on to yourself.
being scared is the creation of panic attack.
I am writing this paragraph below for the intention of all people to have a peaceful life, This is the path of G-d.

practice living your life with G-d by your side. People that do not have faith in Life, Don't have G-d in there life.
Have Faith in the realization that our stability is G-d.
I have similar problems with waking up at around 5 or 6 o'clock, for many, many years. I first try slow breathing, like instructed using Heartmath. If I don't feel I'm calming down I start a Lifeflow meditation (Michael McKenzie), based upon binaural beats that bring you into an alpha-state, using earplugs. Then I usually fall asleep with the binaural beats in the background. All in all I usually 'lose' at least half an hour.
Wow I dindn't know that so many other people suffered with this. I thought that I had some medical issue or that I would die. I know that sounds melodramatic but it is scary. I have suffered from generalized anxiety my whole life, and once I became a parent it kicked into high gear, but since we moved a month or so ago I have it so bad that I barely sleep. It is awful. I have tried going the herbal tea route which sort of helps but last night I only got about an hour of sleep and I am a mess today. Blessings and light to you all. Thank you for sharing your stories, I don't feel so alone anymore.
I have MVPS and had panic and anxiety my whole life.  From my second pregnancy in 2001 I had a strange "turn" as I called it.  These turns can happen for no reason or especially if I've done "too" much and tip over and know that I will have a night episode.  I can get so exhausted, not tired though, just have to go to bed.  I fall asleep too quick and then wake abruptly within an hour or 2 and "it" starts.  Crushing pressure in chest, waves of energy through my body, feeling of dread and terror.  Need to use my bowels but feel too weak and unwell to get up.  After the bowel movement and I get back to bed the symptoms can settle.  Usually last in total 20 min but I get a shocking "hangover" the next day.  Drs and specialists can't find anything other than MVPS and said overall my health is fantastic for my aged (46) but I feel dreadful when this happens.  Can happen regularly or infrequently just depends, no real pattern.  Worse if I do too much and can't exercise too much or I know I have a turn.
I have this.  My Dr. wants me to do a sleep study
Hi I would also have the same exp. i waking up that sometimes im confuse and i can't speak and like i holding my breath. then after a moment when I cant breath my heart starting to race as hell, and that I was trying to inhale to keep my body having an oxygen. and just for you to know I keep the record in my cp when is the attack happen. i guess It usually happen when i have something at the back of my mind that bothers me..usually it happen after an hour of a deep sleep...well i guess I thought of I have to sleep early, but i cant even sleep early too.. im sleeping like around pass 12 to 1am then usually i waking up like around 2am gasping for air..I thought i was dying..but i keep my body and mind relax till i can get back to sleep again....and to my surprise  last month august 17 was the last attack and last night sept 17? i hope its just coincidence
I also have this condition when I sleep I get panic attacks, confusion, and my jaw hurts. I am 40 years old and this has been going on for the past 20 years. I recently discovered that when I have these panic attacks during sleep that I've eaten something sweet at night. I noticed when I stopped eating sugar after 4 p.m.,I no longer get these panic attacks nor my teeth grinding. I believe there's a correlation between sugar and panic attacks during sleep as well as teeth grinding. Last night I had a barbecue sandwich that had barbecue sauce on it which is sugary, and then it came back like yesterday - the panic attacks, mumbling in my sleep, and confusion. As well as my jaw hurts this morning. So now I'm going to continue my regiment of not eating sweets after 4 p.m.
Yes, I have been having night terrors every night. I woke myself one night sitting up abruptly in my sleep. I felt if I didn't force myself to wake at that moment I would not wake up.  My daughter stayed over the other night and woke me out of a night terror, I was pleading for someone not to leave.