Anxiety Community
Nighttime Panic Attacks?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Nighttime Panic Attacks?

Does anyone suffer from nightime panic attacks? Like, having nightmares and waking up feeling panicky every so often? Or just waking up nervous with your heart racing and body trembling? Some nights this happens multiple times per night, other nights (usually when I take Xanax before bed) it doesn't happen at all. It's very upsetting. I just did not know a person could wake up in the middle of a panic attack, I have enough of them during the day!
I used to wake up with one EVERY morning at one time...but never in the night...that was the only time that I am not anxious...once morning comes, its all over!!!!  Anxiety sets in!!
I get that in some shape or form. When I try to go to sleep, I kind of feel like like just about as I am going to drift to sleep, I feel really panicky, almost as if I was floating out of my own body. Like I was leaving myself, and so I would wake up gasping for air. And recently... I have been having a new feeling. While I am sleeping... It's almost as if I can see myself sleeping, and I know that I am, and I can feel what it feels like quivers in my heart, or several pvc's in a row... and I feel like I am going to have a heart attack and die, so...I am fighting to wake myself up, and I can try several times, (screaming silently) or I can see myself trying to wake up my husband, but I can't move or spaek, and finally when I can wake up, I jump up in bed, and start gasping for air, and my heartbeat is racing!!! I might sound crazy... but... it's the only way I know how to explain it. Also...this can happen several times throughout the night. Anyone ever feel like that?
I have had both experiences..I am a 21 yr old female who just recently graduated from college and have been experiencing what feels like a rush or numerous rushes before going to bed. It happens right before i go to sleep and it almost feels like an adrenaline rush with my heart speeding up and it waking me up. This can happen numerous times before I finally fall asleep from exhaustion. I have also experienced waking up before in the middle of the night gasping for air. It almost seems like I stopped breathing when I was sleeping and woke up gasping for air. This hasn't happened though for a couple months. I have recently gone to the doctor and they said everything was fine and am now waiting on blood work but I am extremely nervous and concerned!
This happens when your breathing becomes shallow as you fall asleep.  It also happens when you have a rush of adrenalin as you fall asleep or during your sleep with dreams.  You quit breathing for a few seconds & the heart may skip and it wakens you.  I know it's frightening.  Sleep apnea can also cause that.  Stress is one of the main factors though in a healthy person (i think).

Read under heart problems forum to see more about heart skips & such.  These are usually benign, unless severe sleep apnea is involved. (in my knowledge)  By the way, the more you fear it, the worse it gets, so find a way to relax before you go to sleep (like reading a boring book, listening to soft music, cup of Chamomille tea, etc)
I used to get these but ONLY when I go to sleep with anxious thoughts in my head.

Try to dedicate at least 30 - 60 minutes of your time BEFORE you sleep in watching tv (& concentrating on it), listening to radio, or anything that is unrelated to your anxiety or fear.

if you could clear your mind for 30 - 60 minutes of your time before you go to bed & think of something happy or general or today's news, weather, a funny joke you remembered, etc... then you'll sleep fine & have normal dreams & you won't woke up.

I had these attacks during my sleep for around 1 month & they didn't go away until I made sure that sleep time is "forcefully" without worry.

cheers,
i have the same thing i wake up every morning shaky and heart pounding for no reason its really scary
i wake shaky and heartbeating reallyfast too. i also have jumped out of bed from a full sleep, thinking i cant breath what is it?
I awake from my sleep with my heart racing, and this happens every so often now.  It used to be almost every night - from about 2-4am!  I too would pop a zanax before bed and noticed that it would help, or it i wake up, i will take one and fall back to sleep.  I think the body shuts down and the mind keeps going!  I also used to have a couple of glasses of wine before bed, thinking it would help me and it was worse for me, i think the sulfites made my heart race.  I have been (knock on wood) sleeping pretty well for about a month now, but it could always come back.  The only comfort is that I know the feeling from before, so I try to deep breath and calm myself, before i go into a full panic attack.  It does help, or I would go on this site, read some posts and it would put my mind at ease.
Hope it helps!
take care
I used to get those at night.. i would wake up .. feeling like i couldnt breath... the whole fight/flight thing.. run to the bathroom.. insert head into cold water  etc et c...

i stopped eating at least 3 hours before bed time.. then. i learned that you can eat certain foods.. at night.. that are good for you and mixes well with sleep.. Oatmeal. or raw vegtables.. i tried it.. it worked!!  i even slept better..
I too have this same condition -- I awake every morning (like clockwork) between 5:30am and 7am shaky and with my heart pounding -- every morning.  What is this?  Some latent anxiety from my subconscious?  Anyway, I have learned the best way to handle is to get up and get moving.  This works like a charm.  If it is really early, say 5:30am -- I'll go back to bed after a while but usually have a fitful and restless sleep until I get up @ 7:30am.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to why this happens in the early morning?  During the day I'm fine...   THanks!
I'm so glad that I found this site because in the last few months I've been experiencing the same thing. I have been consumed with worry that I have a heart problem and was actually about to make an appointment with my cardiologist. ( I had to see one in the past due to severe heart palpitations.) Anyway, I'll jump out of sleep like someone scared me or something and I am trembling from head to toe, my heart is racing, and I have this strange warmth all through my body. I always look at the clock when I wake up with this and notice that it's usually about 2 hours after I've fallen asleep. I have been dealing with panic attacks since I was 6 years old so I know what they feel like, I'm just worried that I might have some kind of heart problem that is causing these symptoms. Sometimes I'm afraid if I go to sleep that I won't wake up because of this. I know it's most likely just my anxiety and hypochondria making me think this way but I still can't help but wonder.
I use to wake up very regularly having a panic attack. I would wake up with that racy, light headedness, freaking out thinking I was going to die. I would pace the hallway and get myself so worked up. I would take largactyl and that would eventually knock me out. I don't know what made it stop, but as I got well within myself through therapy, they eventually did get under control. Every so often I will wake up feeling all panicky still, but I use talk therapy and tell myself that I am safe and concentrate on slowing my breathing down. Sometimes I have to snuggle up to my hubby to go back to sleep, or I put on some instrumental music to focus my attention on.
I used to get these panic attacks every night at 3 a.m. like a damn alarm clock.  I still get them sometimes at that time.  I get out of bed, check e-mails, send e-mails, and let my heart race and skip like I was taught in that book I read by Dr. Weeks.  I remember her words "let it come to its very worst you will NOT die", and soon after that I'm o.k.
I get these... had one this week.  mine started about 7 years ago... 5 years before I had a daytime panic attack. I didn't know what it was... I thought I had developed asthma or something.. well that was checked out and is null.

My therapist said that anxiety will find a away to release it self-- it has to.   I find that if I breathe slowly and count backwards to take my mind off of it.. I relax and can fall back to sleep.  It does work for me.
the breathing thing may be sleep apnea.  most likely not . it is a symptom of panic attacks. but sometimes even people with panic attacks get real problems such as sleep apnea. its a sleep disorder that is relatively easy to treat if that is the case and can definetly cause panic during sleep and breathing cesations
Thank God I found this site!  I too have experienced the same thing.  I wake from sleep, usually a couple hours after falling asleep, jumpy, heart racing...feeling like I'm going crazy!  I pace, sometimes have to go to the bathroom, whatever makes me feel normal again.  I'm so over it.  I've been battling anxiety for 12 years now!
Thank you everyone for sharing your comments. It is good to know that we are not alone, and certainly not dieing or going crazy. I"ve been experiencing night time attacks for about two years now, and they have seem to replaced the daytime ones, since I no longer get those. I usually wake up in a panic within one hour of falling asleep, and am never dreaming when they happen. If it is especially
dark in my room when they happen, I literally climb my walls trying to get out of my room, and panic
even more as I feel trapped. I feel very disorientated and have a hard time finding the door. My intial panic though is a feeling that I can't breathe, and I wake up gasping for air. Fortunately these don't happen on a regular basis, and I've never been able to get a medical explanation. I do have my own theories though, and I definitley think that my disorder is inherited from my mother. I am also a very
high strung person who doesn't do stress well. I think anyone suffering from panic attacks would do well to stay away from sugar, caffeine and alcohol.  The last time this happen to me  I had eaten a very sweet dessert in the evening.- only a theory but a very possible cause.  My hope is that everyone who suffers from these very scary episodes will find some lasting peace and healing. Good luck to you all.
I too have this problem, I only have panic attacks at night time, and typically I find myself waking up at exactly 2am; having to walk around, go to the bathroom, and stare at the ceiling for another hour before sleeping again. I am taking Zoloft and Clozepam, and these have helped it tremendously. I also have RLS (restless leg syndrome) due to the Zoloft, but the Clozepam seems to help it at times. My doctor has recommended not eating at least 2-3 hours before bed, staying away from alcohol, smoking, eat healthier, do stretches before bed (for RLS and to help sleep). The biggest thing is to go get help. I dont like medication, but now that I am on it, it has helped me tremendously. This also runs in my family BIG TIME, my grandmother's ideology on this is, "so what you're on meds, you prefer the attacks?" my answer to that is no. Good luck with the sleeping, and seek help, you are not alone, as we have noticed, there are many of us out there with this problem.
actually I woke up once and I was having a panic attack let me tell you that was the weirdest feeling ever I couldn't breathe and I thought I was gunna die... I don't know what 2 do but I just fell back to sleep :( .. .But I feel you... and I'm sorry you're going through this stay strong

Anxious_Manna
I sympathize with all of you. I have many of those abrupt awakenings in the middle of the night, sure this is it, I'm dying. I must propel myself out of bed just to convince myself I'm alright. Once I recover, which takes about twenty minutes I often go back to sleep only to have it happen again.

I am trying to cut out the Xanax since I either need a lot more of it or none at all. I'm down to .25 2x per day. I feel lousy all the time, many panic attacks, a lot of a disoriented feeling. Can't stand in line without turning into taffy, often collapsing. Can't stand heat, light or noise. When people argue, beep car horns, it's torture. I start shaking form head to toe and feel like I'm suffocating.

My only fear about cutting the Xanax out altogether is the seizures everyone talks about. How about the irony of a drug that cures anxiety which gives you seizures when you stop it. We are trapped.
So excited to see I"m not the only one who is a spastic mess!  LOL.  OMG.....I'm experience the nighttime panic attacks due to excessive anxiety from my Mother's death and thought I was losing my mind!  So glad to find yall!  I take Xanax .5 for them, but does it really cause seizures if you stop taking it?  Yikes!
I'm 19 years old, and I dont know whats going on with me. I'm not sure if what I'm experiencing is the same as what has been described here but it sound about right.
Three night ago I couldn't fall asleep because I was having some kind of anxiety attack. It started with feeling that prickly feeling on my leg that one some times gets when lying still in bed, but this time I got scard thinking there were ants on my leg. It was my first night back in my apartment after a two week vacation and the whole evening I was a bit worried about bugs crawling into my bed while I was away. Anyway after that I started freaking out about little noises and stuff, and I thought I was losing my mind.
I got realy freaked out. I am not a panicky person and this never happend to me befor. I got up and started going through all the possibilities of why I felt "wierd". Finally I fell asleep, but the next day I was depressed and ended up going home to my mom.
Two night ago I got a "bad" "scared" feeling and was crying for no reson at all (just because I felt weird). Its passed. Last night I went to bed feeling panicky but I focused on falling asleep and I did.
At around four thirty I woke up and jumped out of bed, I was really dizzy and panicked, although my heart was not racing. I went to pee and had some water and went back to bed still light headed.
I dont know what to think. At first I thought I was developing some kind of depression, but now I just think I'm going crazy.
I thought I was the only one suffering from these panic attacks. I can't watch exciting TV shows or movies, because they may cause my heart to race and fear I'll have a heart attack, which makes it race even more.
Also a frightening dream can wake me, with a pounding heart. I have to get up and calm myself, watching some bland TV show. This usually takes about an hour, so I don"t get enough sleep.

.
Wow---I knew I wasnt the only one this problem, but I didn't know how many other people suffer with it as well!!! Yes---there's nothing that ruins my day more than waking up with that ole' racy heart, skin's crawling feeling.  OK---there is something worse, the times that I have not been able to go to sleep because of it!  I have been having this really bad for the last 2 months, and I'm really fed up with it, too!  I had it last night super bad and this morning I was a basket case.  

So---although it may not ease your symptoms, it may make you feel better to know that you are not alone :)  Many of us anxiety sufferes get the bed time creepy-crawlies-can't-calm'downs.  
I suffer from night time panic attacks as well.   Started when about 6 years ago when I'd been out of work 8 months.   Right before I'd fall asleep I'd get this overwhelming sense of "I'm going to die right now" -- truly terrifying.   Tingling -- over aware of all my body senses -- feeling that if I didn't intentionally breathe, I'd stop - fear that I'd choke.

I got through that after a couple years.   6 months of the attacks and a year and a half of a fixation on my mortality.

A year an half ago I had a reoccurrence  -- but without fear of dying -- just a strong desire to flee.   I was on vacation in the mountains and felt the desire to 'get off the mountain' -- but when I got back home and still woke up desiring to 'flee the mountain', I realized it wasn't just related to being up high.   Got past that in a month or so.

And just had a reccurence the last couple weeks.   Woke up with the desire to flee -- and general fear and anxiety -- but not really about anything.    Really stinks.   I know it's a panic attack, I know it'll pass -- but it's no fun as I get up and go watch tv, only to flee to my office....then to the shower.....then back to the bed.....no matter where I go, I need to flee from it :(

Had a dr. appt. yesterday and got a script for Ambien and Xanex.   Short term coping strategy.   Never tried the xanex before, but the ambien has helped me a lot in the past.   After I have an attack, I'm anxious about going to bed the next night (and the next and so on).   Having a sleep aid helps me sleep successfully and break the cycle.

Lee
I am a 53-year-old woman, menopausal, but on HRT. Not infrequently, I wake up about 2 hours after going to sleep (just as Sick&TIred described in his/her post). My heart is POUNDING, racing, and usually the thing that woke me up is a strange dream - which I actually think is my mind's way of saying "Wake up! Your heart is racing!" So it's not the dream that causes the heart racing & palpitations, it's my biological body causing that, but my mind is smart enough to wake me up so I can calm down and attend to it.

Related to this, I have GERD. I have found that my trigger foods are: alcohol, caffeine, rich/fatty foods, and sugars (particularly mint and/or chocolate combos). I try to NEVER have more than 1-2 trigger foods together at night, and I'm trying hard to stop eating after 7:30pm, to allow my body to digest the food better.

I haven't seen a specialist about this condition yet, but am attributing it to hormones and the natural "stair-step" process of aging. But it is DANG scary. I can only calm myself down by strong mental rote: like saying the alphabet over and over, while gently rubbing my tummy and chest region. Just wanted to share this, cuz it looks like I have plenty of company. Can anyone out there share some doctor diagnoses, too?
My symptoms have been a bit different.  I woke up one night afew months ago, with the feeling of "butterflies" in my stomach.  That really scared me!  I then went't into a full-blown panic attack.  Since then, it happens during the day and almost every night.  Both when im trying to go to sleep, or waking up during the night.  Its horrible because its very difficult to get back to sleep when im that nervous.  Often when i do, i wake up again with the same panic and sick feeling in my stomach.  I have taken xanax afew times, when i cant get back to sleep.  It does help.  I'm just afraid I will become dependent on it, so I only take it when i really need to.  Some days, i get depressed thinking I will never overcome this.  I think about these panic attacks constantly!  I know its making it worse.  I miss the person I used to be.

At least I know I'm not alone.  It helps to read about other people's experiences.
There are so many people suffering from panic attacks,which i also suffer from these darn things for 20yrs.....
but the question is are they doing any RESEARCH to what really causes them....

I tell you all have been a great help to me.  I am 41  and have had suffered panic attacks back about 10 yrs ago and 10 years before that.  It seems like an every 10 yr thing for me.  I have been diagnosed to having mile sleep apnea which I have a Cpap machine, but as of a month or so ago I started having an attack in the middle of the night  I would wake up gasping for air, my heart would be 130-150 beats a minute and my blood pressure was off the charts.  I was certain I was having heart failure. I have been to so many damn doctors and Emergency Rooms and everything comes back just fine.  I have had blood tests, full cardiac work ups and seen sleep specialists.  I am almost embarrased to admit that these nighttime severe attacks are part of a panic attack.  I almost want there to be something wrong, instead of being told, "you cant handle life, so your subconscious messes with you when you sleep".  I will say that taking a valium before bed has helped a lot.  I was afraid of taking a sedetive for fear of my breathing to be very depressed and I would stop breathing altogether.  My sleep doctor said to do it.  I have been going on almost two months of unrestorative sleep.  I feel like I am crazy, exhausted, can't concentrate on anything, had to take several days off work to offset the embarrasment of possible having to tell my boss, I was having a nervous breakdown....I feel shameful, however, I realize, it's not my fault.  I am getting the help I need, simplifying as much as I can. I am a high strung person , I have bipolar disorder, asthma, hypothyroid, ADHD, I have had 16 surgeries in my life, (none of them cosmetic, unfortunately.LOL) but I am hopefull in knowing that I am not going to die, even though it feels like it and that I pray my higher power will help me on.
A follow up sleep study determined that I DEFINATELY have Nighttime Panic Attacks as soon as I hit my DEEP SLEEP wave.  It was documented at the sleep center I went to.  I got my results a week later.  I am SOOOO relieved that they saw it and that I know I do not have an underlying doomed diagnosis.  As I had stated in my last note, I am a high strung person and I am in counseling now, seeing my psychiatrist regularly on an antidepressand/anxiety med and taking valium before bed.  My Primary dr put me on Toprol XL to control the adrenalin surges in case of "the attack" until I can work out my daytime anxieties and deal with them, then I can get off  the heart/blood pressure med.  I hope this post helps someone who is suffering with this problem which is really fixable.
Since my attacks really started rolling a few months back, I can tell you my dreams are more vivid and a bit scarier and YES I wake up in the night struggling to breath.  Sometimes I have to fall back to sleep sitting up cause I am afraid my tounge will block off my throat and I will sufficate.  My poor poor hubby has to deal with this almost nightly.  

I know exactly how you feel Harris!  On the nights i have drank enough to pass out (maybe once a month) or have taken my Clonazapam, I have no dreams and sleep endlessly.  I hate feeling that I have to rely on drugs and alcohol to get through the night sometimes.  That thought alone sends me into a tail spin of anxiety attacks.  
Going to bed at night used to be a very comforting and relaxing experience for me.  Over the past year, however, night time is accompanied by bouts of panic and sleeplessness.  The best way I can describe it is I just get near sleep (usually after about 30 minutes in bed) when out of the blue my whole body starts to tingle, my breathing and heart rate speeds up, and my thoughts start racing.  It's like the feeling you would get if somebody came up behind you and scared you...that jumpy rush of adrenaline that makes your whole body a tingly jolt of energy.  Sometimes this happens during the day too, but I'm usually too busy to let it get to a panic situation.  I don't know how to stop this from happening, but it is reassuring to know that it is not a life-threatening situation and others share this same problem.
Wow!!!! I have read all your postings sometimes laughing because finally I feel like their are people out there that get me... I remember the first time I had one it it woke me up out of my sleep and when you are totally unaware of this and have never experienced it before of course you feel like you are dyinge why wouldn't you how the hell are you to know this is normal.... my boyfriend was so scared he was like what the hell is wrong with you go back to sleep... Ya so freaking easy for someone to say that has never expierienced it - must be nice and what is the underlying issue why some of us experience this and some of us never do? Ok went to the doctors did it all wore the heart machine for a week, did a heart ultrasound and nothing! So I thought to myself I'm a smoker I like to drink coffee alcohol from time to time could this be it? Nope unfortunately my bad habbits were not the answers I would wonder why sometimes I would have them in the middle of night and sometimes I wouldn't. I have become dependant on gravol as I am scared to get on prescribed meds not that this is any better. Then the anxiety escalated for me to drive on the highways... where the heck did this come from now? I love to drive I'm in real estate for crying out loud I have created a monster and I so want it to stop. I have been researching this for a while and yes caffene and alchol do trigger this I have recently found and encourage you all to check out hypoglycemia alot of it makes sence and since the doctors out there have no freaking clue except for drugging us... hey not nocking it but really for so many of us suffering why is there not more research don??? Anyways when this happened to me last night it was SO COMFORTING to know that I was not alone in the middle of the night pacing my hallways, turning on all the lights, watching re-runs of Three's Company to try to get back to sleep to know that I am not crazy and in good company with all of you that let's face it why the hell would any of us want or creat this. I hope we do all find a cure to this and live freely without fear. I thank you for sharing and helping me feel not alone.... Love Claire
I dread the night. I never know when my panic attacks will hit me, but at night is when I'm most vulnerable. And, since I'm generally exhausted and not thinking clearly, everything that's horrible seems magnified. It's just horrible.
I also have sleep panick attacks. I suddenly have a dream that I am having a heart attack, and I know that I am dying and I can't wake up. A couple of months ago I woke up and had the strangest sensation of doom. I was crying for no reason at all out of a dead sleep. My husband woke up to me crying and struggling to breath, and I am terrified that he thinks I am going crazy. I feel like I am going crazy. I finally had a full blown panick attack at work yesterday. My arms went numb, I was weak and dizzy, I thought I was going to pass out and die. It was all I could do to walk to my boss' desk and ask for help. He called the paramedics, and my heart felt like it was going to explode. I didn't think I would make it out, I was certain I was going to die. Of course, nothing was physically wrong with me, the paramedics told me. I can't find any triggers for these symptoms. I don't drink alcohol, I don't eat 2-3 hours before bed, I don't have any real stressors in my life. I just think I am insane.
I have had a problem with having panic attacks when waking up every day for almost a month now.  At first I thought it was due to the meds I was taking, but now that I am on a diffrent med the symptoms are still the same.  I wake up anywhere from 4:30 to 6:00 with my eyes wide open. My heart pounds so hard it feels like it will jump out of my chest and my breathing becomes fast and shallow.  My arms start to get this pins and needles feeling and then my stomach becomes up set and I somtimes have to throw up. I am still tired and try to fight it and go back to sleep, but the more I fight it the worse it gets.  Getting up helps most of the symptoms go away except the nausea.  That takes most of the morning to pass.  After that I am fine for the rest of the day.  I can't stand starting my day off like this every day.  I am so glad that I found this site and now know that it's just not me.   My therapist tells me once we fix my problems, the anxiety will go away but how long will that take?  If any one can give me some advice I would love to hear it.
i have the same thing going on with me and i feel the same way-i have had stress tests,ekgs ,etc -all is good. i used to take xanex and alot of other prescriptions. i changed my diet and started drinking 3-5 bottles of water aday and no longer having the panic attacks,but i believe some certain foods are giving me the jump out of bed starteled feeling and being stressed out. start a journal being sure to write i it ever night before food focusing on what you are eating and drinking-your symptoms for the day-and how well you slept the night before.you can also use it to write down your feelings.you can look back and see if there are any similar things you are doing that are contributing to how you are feeling .this has helped me a great deal. hope this will help some.
I am so glad to know I'm not alone! I have been suffering from nocturnal panic attacks for several years. I'm 28 now, but even when I was in high school I would wake up and worry I had forgotten to study for a test or forgotten to do a major report. Then as I got older and added work into the mix with school I'd worry about that too. Now I worry about money or my parent's or my health. It's this sudden jolting feeling...waking up from a seemingly deep sleep with your heart pounding and all this feeling of doom. It usually happens to me around 12-2am. I've gotten to the point where I try to go to bed early enough that I can have time to self-soothe after the attack and get a little more sleep. I wonder sometimes what it must be like to sleep the entire night through. Maybe someday I'll find out again.
I wake up with my heart racing.  Does anyone ever get this?
WHEN MY PANIC ATTACKS STARTED: I first had night panic attacks when I was pregnant in 1966.  I had them again when I was pregnant in 1978.  They mostly disappeared throughout the years.  I might have had one about every 4-5 years.  In 2004, I started having them again, but on a more frequent basis.  MY PANIC ATTACK EXPERIENCES: I would find myself abruptly awakened, with the blanket up to my chin.  My chest would be red hot and I would leap from my bed.  All I could manage was to tear off my clothes to get cool and pace the floor.  I was overwhelmed with a feeling of doom, unable to breathe and edgy all over.  I had a feeling of being alone in the world and that I was going to die.  I was in a full-blown panic mode.  I just could not get calm or take in enough oxygen.  IMMEDIATE REMEDIES THAT WORK FOR ME:  I would reduce my clothes to a simple covering ... stick my head in the freezer compartment of the refrigerator to get cold moist air to breath ... grabbed anything wet and cold to place on my chest and back of neck to cool my body down ... and walk outside - if it was colder than inside.  After a quick brisk walk around my home or down the block and I could always feel myself calming down.  If you can't leave your home surroundings for a walk, then go to your computer.  DO NOT READ about panic attacks if they make you more nrervous.  Find an online game like Scrabble or something to put your energy and thoughts into something you might enjoy.  MEDICATIONS:  I'm not much for taking a lot of medication, but I keep Diazapam on hand that I take ONLY if I cannot get outside because of bad weather or the internet is down.  Just 5 milligrams and I'm ready for again for bed in less than 20 minutes.  My doctor gave me Effexor XR 37.5 MG about a year ago and my panic attacks rarely occur now.   I highly recommend it.  Meanwhile, tell yourself you are not alone in the world, cool off, do something to take your mind off what you might be experienceing or change your scenery with a walk.  I understand your pain.  I hope I've helped at least one person survive these awful feelings.  Nancy - Corpus Christi, TX
I read all the comments above and am floored. I thought I was living a personal and very private hell that no one understood. Some insight into this would be the following: after being told I had a great deal of anxiety and stress (duh, what gave it away, Doc?) I was put on several trials of antidepressants. Waking up in the middle of the night thinking I was dying was a huge part of my seeking help, but it was also happening during the daytime too. I will tell you that certain antidepressants seemed to exaccerbate my panic, and I was told it was most likely a manic episode being triggered, that sometimes it happens with certain drugs. So to a shrink I went. He agreed that the M.D. had a point, and I was treated with many many different drugs, all turning me into a zombie. I still have panic attacks to this day, on occasion, but not with the frequency I was. I'm on abilify, lamictal, corguard (for heart palpitations), xanax, hydroxypam, and prozac. If you folks continue having these issues, consider what I just told you. It may be PTSD, bipolar, or schitzophrenia. Just my two cents.
Well, any panic attacks that involve waking up from a deep sleep after 3 hours and having a severe blood rush to the head producing a headache and then calming down after 20 minutes but being left with mild head tingling and weakness?
My attacks come and go, but mostly start this time of year (October),
I dread sundown and night time.  I am 52, and know that nothing is going to happen, but this time of ay makes me nuts.  
All I want is for the sun to come back!  I count the hours until sunrise.
Once the sun is up, I can pull myself together and sleep again.
I can be asleep and bound straight out of bed, with shallow breathing and this feeling of dread, and immediately look at the clock to see how soon the sun will be rising.
Is this nuts or what?
I try to calm myself, talk to myself, will swallow a benadryl to make myself sleepy, all the while freaked out over it being dark outside.
I'm not "scared of the dark" by any means, this is more of a claustrophobia thing, I think.
Once it is no longer dark, I'm much better.
I grieve for a month knowing the time change will bring the darkness sooner...help, I can't live like this anymore, and my doc just poo poos me off, and I can't switch cause i have no med insurance.

HELP
Thank you all for reassuring me that I'm not a total freak!  I was diagnosed with panic disorder about 5 years ago, but every time I wake up with my heart racing and a panic attack, I tend to forget that and am sure that something is horribly wrong and I am going to die.

I had a few attacks before telling my doctor. When they happened, I thought they were allergic reactions since I've had a few serious reactions with some of the same symptoms, so I took a hot shower to help the shaking and took a benadryl. The next time I saw the dr., I told her about them and she said I had classic symptoms of a panic attack. She said that they normally go away in about a half hour and the benadryl probably helped calm me down since most allergy medications have a sedative quality to them. She gave me a perscription for Ativan, but I never tried it thinking I would rather take benadryl since I know how it affects me, and that's still my remedy. I take a hot shower which helps the shaking and starts to calm me down, then take a benadryl with some camomille tea. After that, I can usually go back to sleep without anymore attacks.

Since then I've learned that caffeine is a real trigger for me. When things are going okay, I can have maybe one cup of coffee in the morning and that's it. I've gone months at a time without any attacks by just watching my caffeine. When I'm really stressed though, it doesn't matter. I can be completely off of caffeine (as I've been for about the last month) and still have attacks, like I did last night. The only good thing I can say about the one last night is that it brought me to this forum!

Whomever said that nightime panic attacks are such a lonely thing, is surely right!  It helps immensely to know that there are others out there who are experiencing the same thing. Thank you all again for your sharing!
I just retired and was hoping for a decrease of panic attacks - my pattern is to feel like I am having heart attack around 4am. I have attributed this to work stress, but now I still have the attacks. It is especially scary since I have had multiple heart attacks. I do know the difference when I am awake, but half asleep I panic over the panic! I take my pulse rate - it is normal not racing. And I don't feel that squeezing chest feeling. But I sure lose sleep.
I wonder if I just have the bad habit of panic and anxiety from the work environment. My new reasons for anxiety: money, health, wife's health, and money.
I found this website very helpful - I want to thank everyone for their candor.
is it something about 4:30 and panic attacks? almost every post ive read mentioned that time. I wake up every morning almost at 4:30 and am either able to fall back asleep or sit there and stress and freak out about something so random and out of the blue. I thought I was going crazy!
I get rushes of adrenalin all day off and on everyday  that causes my heart to race and then stop and then race and then stop and it can at times be worse at night. I have problems sleeping too and especially trying to get to sleep. I am on wellbutrin because I suffer from panic dissorder, and I am going to the doctors today to see if i can get on something new.
I used to have these problems. I'm no dr but here's some sleep health techniques that got rid of my problems with night/early morning panic.No caffeine! It's horrible for anxiety but wean off it, if you stop cold turkey it can cause headaches.if you must have caffeine, try not to have any 4 hours before bed. This gives your body time to metabolize it before sleep.no sugar 3 hours before bed, if you're craving it have a piece of fresh fruit. Don't sleep with the tv on. Tune your radio to static or turn on a fan if you need noise to sleep. Your room should be cool, turn the heat down a couple degrees in the evening. When you get in bed do a simple breathing excersize to fall asleep peacefully. Inhale through your nose to the count of 4 (one mississippi, two mississippi, ect) then exhale out the mouth the same way. Repeat unil you drift off. If you still wake up in a panic, calmly tell yourself it is just anxiety and it will pass then repeat the breathing technique. Make sure you take a daily multi vitamin and talk to your dr about other supplements like a B complex. This is a mix of things that helped me that I learned from my psychiatrist, my therapist, the attacking anxiety and depression program, books on anxiety, and other people with anxiety. This all worked for me, especially eliminating all caffeine. I hope this will help you.
I have been getting these anxiety attacks in the middle of the night. I go to bed at 10:00 or 11:00 and I wake up at 3:00 or 4:00. My mind starts spinning out of control with overwhelming thoughts and can not shut it down. I drink my self to sleep every night but never had a problem with it before. Now I am under a lot of pressure and stress for I may lose my job and then my house in which I have invested $600,000 all of my life’s savings I live in the house which is still under construction. I am sitting at work all day with nothing to do for 3 months now and no one talks to me even when I inquire of the situation I can never get a straight answer. How long can they afford to keep me and how long can I take this anticipation, boredom and stress? Will the anxiety/panic attacks and cold sweat  ever go away?
Early morning is typically my worst.  I wake up far too early with heart racing, mind racing, and sweating.  It's a horrible feeling.  I get so angry when I wake up at 4am knowing that there's no way I can go back to sleep.  I typically get up and take a Klonopin.  Sometimes I can drift back to sleep, but most of the time it's a lost cause.
I have starting having these as well. At first I thought maybe it was my caffeine intake but I have been watching that. It happens every night at 3 am. I am so scared...... I am glad I am not alone.Panic Attacks are so horrible..... I feel for anyone that has them and my friends do not understand. Once you have them you will understand is what I say.
I had a few panic attacks in my 20s. I am 40 now and ever since then I wake up in the middle of the night  with a panic attack about 4 or 5 times a year. I usually walk around the house for about fifteen minutes or so and then go back to sleep. About a month ago I woke up with a severe panick attack that lasted 4 hours. I finally went to the dr and he put me on welbutrin and gave me xanax to take as needed. I tried the welbutrin and it gave me the shakes all day. I really hated it and stoped taking it. I usually take a half of a .25mg xanax before I go to sleep because a whole one gives me a really bad hangover the next day. Lately, even with the half pill I have been waking up in the middle of the night with anxiety (not a full blown panic attack) I usually cannot get back to sleep. I really hope I could learn to get a good night sleep eventually. I seem to worry about waking up with a panic attack which adds to the anxiety. The strange part is that I am fine in the daytime. I have never had a panick attack during the day. Im glad im not alone with this problem.
I'm not sure they're panic attacks - but I do wake up very often from nightmares in a state of extreme fear. I have very specific, clear dreams. I wake up with my heart racing, adrenaline running through me. It's been occurring for a few years and happens several times a week. I'm rarely able to get back to sleep. It's awful.

It can be pretty debilitating.
I finally discovered what stops the nocturnal panic attacks for me!  I hope my method can help others as well.  If you want to skip all the intro stuff and find out how I have stopped mine, go to the last paragraph of my post.

I've been having nocturnal panic attacks for about 15 years or so.  I used to get them only every once in a while, maybe 2 or 3 times a year.  But then about 6 years ago they started becoming more frequent.  I went to a psychologist for a while.  But I don't have any unusual anxiety during the day that we could identify.  But that didn't stop her from trying to pick apart every aspect of my psyche.  Ridiculousness.  Anyway, finally, after doing a little research, I convinced her and my PCP that I needed to go on an SSRI.  So I went on Paxil and that worked well.  They totally stopped.  

But then about a year ago I had to go off the Paxil for other reasons and the panic attacks returned with a vengeance and kept getting more and more frequent.  It got to the point that I was having 5, 6, or 7 or more EVERY NIGHT.  It was taking me 2 or 3 hours to fall asleep every night.

The only useful thing the psychologist had recommended to me was to take a video of my panic attack.  We watched them together and she pointed out to me that there are maybe 2 or 3 seconds between when I arouse from "sleep" and when the panic actually starts, and if I could gather my wits about me at that time then maybe I could consciously calm myself and keep the panic at bay.  She suggested I keep some item, like a special ring, by my bed, or post a sign next to my bed with a message saying "Calm down.  You're fine.  It's just a panic attack."  Something like that.  She said these things might help me focus.  Easy for her to say.  I mean, when I wake up like that I'm totally disoriented.  There's no way I'm going to read a sign.

But I was getting desperate and willing to try anything, so I made a voice recording of myself saying "Relax, it's just a panic attack. You're fine.  It will pass.  It's not dangerous.  It's no different from all the other panic attacks you've already survived."  I put it on "repeat play" and listened to it while I fell asleep.  I figured when I aroused, I'd have no choice but to hear it and listen.  It actually did help a lot.  I think it wasn't so much that I was listening and understanding the message, but that it helped me identify that "window of calm" before the storm -- those few seconds between arousal and panic.  I was able to train myself to force myself to be calm during those few seconds.  My heart might be racing and I might feel very panicked for several moments, but I only very rarely progressed to having full-blown attacks, where I would sit up in bed and scream at the top of my lungs for however long it took me to snap out of it.

So this was a vast improvement, but I was still experiencing the panic and it was still taking me 2 or 3 hours to get to sleep at night.  This was especially bad for me because I have high blood pressure and a history of cardiomyopathy (unrelated to the panic attacks).  I'm on medication, but my heart's not the strongest.  I kept searching for an even better way, and I finally found it!  It works for me, and I hope it can help at least some of you, if not all of you.

Anyway, here it is.  As I'm falling asleep, I focus on something and block everything else from my mind.  It could be one word or a short phrase or an image.  It's not easy for me to stay focused like that.  Actually, I hate it.  When I'm in bed, I like to think about what happened that day, and what's going to be the next day.  I like to let my mind wander.  So it's very frustrating and boring and annoying for me.  But it's not as bad as the panic attacks, obviously.  But it is very difficult.  My mind will frequently wander, but I always force myself to refocus on that one thing.  I'm thinking I might resort again to making an voice recording of me saying just one word or short phrase.  But this time, instead of ignoring it until I arouse in a panic, I will force myself to concentrate on it as I'm falling asleep to the exclusion of other thoughts.  I don't know why, but this completely gets rid of the panic for me.  I still have those 5 or 6 arousals every night, but instead of feeling panic, I just feel a vague sense of uneasiness.  My heart doesn't start racing and I don't completely wake up (but I still have to force myself to focus and not let my mind wander, which gets more difficult as I get closer and closer to deeper sleep).  So the arousals occur closer together and I am able to fall asleep quicker.  I am so happy I've finally found relief.  I hope my experience will help some of you.

Good luck, and have a restful sleep.
So glad to hear that others suffer from these nasty, sneaky, never know when their coming buggers!!! I'm a 35 year old female and I had my first one after working a stressful job about 4 yrs. ago and they've been with me ever since. I hate them, I used to be so carefree, no worries, take life as it comes...not anymore!! And frankly is pisses me off!! I know it's in my mind and it will pass but it controls me and I hate not being in control. I haven't been to the dr. but plan on going now that I've read everyones stories. It's funny how reading about anothers pains can make one feel better but it does. All in all I miss the old me....soooo much!!!
I used to get them alot through the day but I don't have as many through now. I have had quite a few recxently at night though and recently had a really bad one at night...all of a sudden...2:30 a.m I wake up....you know the rest, butterflies in my gut...feeling on edge, can't get back to sleep, I tingle all  over...but really feel it in my arms the most, then the shakes start, like I'm freezing (but I;m not) sometimes I get a cold face cloth and put it om my forehead, with the fan on (I always sleep with a fan on) and I will shake like crazy but usually end up falling back asleep after trying to think about something other that the terrifying moment I am going through.
What gets me the most is how there is no way you can posibly explain to "anyone who has not had one" what it feels like!! I try to tell my husband and he feels so bad for me but really doesn't know what I;m going through. I actually recently resulted to taking a gravol at night, and it keeps me asleep, and if I do wake up to go to the washroom I can get back to sleep. Yet I wonder if this is good for me.
So for now I will make an app. with the Dr., and see what he suggests, it's just that I hate taking medications...I've yet to try Adavan (or however you spell it) but my friend swears by it.
Thanks for sharing your experinces with me, it was very comforting, and I have a few new things to try to help control things when they reoccur....take care all :)
It is great to read about people experiencing what I have lived through for over 14 years.  I will tell you what I have discovered, because, like many of you, I have been to ALL KINDS of doctors.  Some have diagnosed me, after various tests, and some have drugged me (Valium and Clonazapam made them stop), but this is a bandage and will cure the root problem.  

I discovered the root problem when I went to a nutritionist.  She uncovered food allergies and a parasite in my system.  I believe that the parasite (Blastocystis Hominis) has been destroying my digestion and wreaking havoc on my central nervous system for years.  I came back from living in Venezuela in 1994 and I have had panic attacks at night until February of this year when I started an herbal regimen to get rid of the Blastocystis Hominis.  After about 1 month, I saw this rash around my intestines, and then I felt so good that I stopped taking my medication at night.  I slept through fine!  No nighttime wakings at all.  I often felt as if my throat was closing and I would wake gasping for air (with a racing heartbeat).  So scary.  In spending so much time diagnosing myself, I have ascertained that 1) drugs are not the answer, 2) there is something PHYSICALLY wrong with me that went undiscovered for years that has been impacting my sleep, and 3) it will be difficult to get rid of.  I have tried herbs, Chinese medicine and many antibiotics, and I think it is still with me.  I believe it is highly resistant after living in me for so long.  My digestive system is trashed.  When I am on something to kill it off and watching my diet, my sleep is good.  Hopefully I will be fully rid of it some day!
I have panic disorder, and the most disturbing episodes are the nightime ones described so well here.  I wanted to share something that's worked well for me, though it hasn't completely solved all my problems ;)
I've been doing mindfulness meditation every day for the past 9 months, and it has greatly helped my daytime issues, to the point where I rarely have issues.  You can explore mindfulness many ways, through Buddhism, through various clinical techniques, like Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, etc.  It takes time and practice, and it's not the same as pure relaxation meditation techniques (which can be very helpful!).  The result is to reduce the mind's tendency to "react" to negative physical symptoms, with I hope obvious benefits.
Good luck everyone!
These attacks are indeed scary/.
Were you ever tested for sleep apnea?

Jerr
I have the hardest time trying to fall asleep.  Seems that as soon as I relax and my breathing slows down I start gasping for air.  I get feelings of panic and anger and I cant sit still at all!  I take in deep breaths and most of the time I have to start moving various body parts just to try to get it out.  The day after my third knee surgery I was up all night pacing the floor in the living room.  Sometimes I will go outside and walk up and down the road just to try to "get it out".  The feelings are so intense it is really hard to describe.  I have been put on valium, xanax, antidepressants, the whole 9.  Nothing seems to help.  Anyone have any ideas
This is meant for people who wake up gasping for air an hour after going to sleep. After years of experiencing this and blank looks from my doctor, I found a solution: leaving the night lamp on! I still wake up but there is no panic. I hope this helps some of you.
In my opinion, we can experience panic attacks any time of day.  When I initially went through them, my anxiety would actually spike when I was getting ready to fall asleep because that is when I did not have the distractions that I had during the day to keep the anxiety at bay.  I also would wake up from nightmares as well, and of course they are much worse when we are already stressed out from being stressed out.

The big thing for me, was to keep on moving forward even though it was hard at the time.  For me, seeking long term counseling for it, gave me the ability and knowledge to confront the anxiety, and as I learned to manage it better, the anxiety and nightmares subsided quite a bit, but from time to time of course it will flare up, but as you learn to confront it, the knowledge you gain will never leave you....keep us posted!
Hi everyone, sorry to read so many posts of suffering and misery caused by these terrifying panic attacks. I have been a sufferer of anxiety/panic disorder for 13 long years and recently began experiencing panic attacks in my sleep. Upon researching countless sites i discovered why this was happening and hopefully it may be of some help to you. As you are probably aware, anxiety sufferers generally over breathe, usually without even realising it and i found that when i had been rushing about in my daily life, working, picking up/dropping off kids, shopping, housework and the like i would more than likely be doing this in a less than calm manner, resulting in shallow breathing (without being aware of this of course) and would then drop into bed exhausted from a busy day. As i fell asleep, my breathing would become deeper and more regulated as my body relaxed and sure enough within an hour of falling asleep i would shoot out from my bed in a complete frenzy, rushing downstairs with a bid to escape from what i thought was impending death, heart pounding,dizzy and feeling i couldnt breathe, just to turn around and get back into bed and go back to sleep??  What i learned was that as i fell asleep, the transition of my breathing from shallow, to deeper, slower breaths would cause an irregularity in the oxgen/carbon dioxide levels in the blood and this would cause a nocturnal panic attack. To prevent this now, i make sure i relax a good hour before i fall asleep and concentrate on deep breathing and hey presto it doesnt happen!! Hopefully this may be of some help for you all, im confident it works!!
Wow, glad to see I'm not alone in this either! I too wake up with my heart racing or pounding at times. What really freaks me out is when I'll feel like I'm falling or floating just before opening my eyes, when this happens there's no chance of me getting back to sleep and it's very frustrating. Not only that I often scare the hell out of my fiance when I wake up shaky and "omg'ing". Then I go into full panic mode, I tend to get really bad trembling and stiffening of my muscles and it tends to last longer during the night hours. Sometimes I can get to sleep but it's usually an hour or two before I need to be up. -_-
Hello all,
I've suffered from panic and anxiety for years. I am a 40 yr old female and with two teenagers, a husband, and a 2 1/2 yr old, and a 1 yr old, I tell myself, "no wonder", ha ha, busy mom run, run, run. You'd think I would just drop and sleep well at night.
Every once in a while, although 2 nights this week, I have laid down, and my mind just won't shut off. I am easily startled, I feel like I start to drift of, thinking about God knows what, and wide awake I am, feeling like I'm breathing shallow, almost like a gasp and then I get anxious and the heart races, then I check my pulse like an idiot, ha ha, which makes it worse.
My son just started sleeping all night but still sleeps in his playpen next to our bed, I don't know if that plays a part, or if it's just anxiety that I get sometimes throughout the day that just follows me to bed.
I got up at 12 and took a xanax, which I am not a pill person, but seens I have to take care of 2 babies all day, I needed some rest. I finally fell asleep but wide awake at 6. I wish I could just get a solid 7 or 8 hours....What do I do????
you are right its just panic and anxiety attacks hun x
I've been dealing with anxiety and panic attacks for many years. But recently, I've started getting this very nervous, anxious feeling at bedtime. I feel my heart speed up, I get the cold sweats and I feel the fight or flight response kick in. I have bizarre dreams and usually don't get more than 2 to 3 hours of sleep each night. The sleep issues have been going on for many years, but this anxiety feeling just recently started. I usually only get anxiety during the day, so this is new. My doctor used to prescribe Xanax for me, but she recently stopped my refills, stating I need to see a specialist in mental health. Problem is, I haven't worked since 2008 and have no insurance. Seeing a counselor simply isn't an option. When I had Xanax in the past, I only took them when I had a severe panic episode. Therefore, a bottle of 30 pills could last me 2 to 3 months. I didn't abuse them, so why would my doctor be so uncaring as to stop the one thing that really helped me, knowing I have no alternatives at the moment? I've tried several SSRI medications, but after a week, I am usually sick as a dog from stomach upset. I already have an underlying stomach issue (acid reflux) so my stomach is already churning 24/7. The SSRI's just make it unbearable. So it seems I'm up against a wall with nowhere to turn. And this is getting worse. I am so sad I don't know what to do. It feels like my life has come to a screeching halt.
Hi im new to this place ... i never knew what was happeing to me cause it only happens 7-8 times a year but my symtoms (symptoms) are a lil diffrent  the yours , i feel like im about to fall alsleep  and then i get this horrible heavyness and i have no choice but to close my eyes and then when i do i feel like im traped in my dream no matter how short they are and i tell my self to wake up screming at my self cause i cant breath , and im gonna die  and my mouth drys ... and im scared please tell me whats going on  dose anyone have the same as me ??  im a 27 yearold female.  and im scared
I am a male 24(was 22 at the time of my first attack)
Alright, a story about my very first panic attack. So it was 2009, I think, I didn't sleep at all(I broke night), because I was quite excited about getting an Xbox-360(yeah, I have the heart of a kid, sue me =p) so I test played it at Target(a mega store in the US). Fast forward 8 hours, I hooked it up and everything, then I found my self to be dead tired(it was 10pm) I was stressed about transferring about 20 burned CDs of songs onto my mom's MP3 player(she didn't know how) and setting up my 360(I suck at multi-tasking). I remember dreaming about downloading a custom map off Xbox-live. The download was corrupted, and tried to load. So I was stuck dreaming of a pause screen saying NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING NOW-LOADING! I woke up thinking "Oh god, what the hell?!" It just kept racing through my mind, I thought it would never stop,(I was shaking, sweating, scared, heart racing, and everything) I got the Sponge bob theme stuck in my head to stop it(yeah, I know, this is a dumb, but my 6 year old brother loves Sponge bob, I had to repeat the song 45345345 times) I took a walk after at 3am(yeah, I woke up my mom, she wasn't too happy, my dad bitched like crazy) I fell asleep 2 hours later, not knowing what happened... I'll post a story of my other attacks later(it's nearly 3am and I can't sleep, and was quite happy to find this thread, so happy to not be alone...) Probably messed up my story, and my grammar, but yeah... it's nearly 3am. Oh, and no meds yet, I am seeing a doctor in a few days. *sigh*
that is called Astral Projection. It is when your sleeping and your physical body is still on the bed sleeping but your spiritual body is leaving you. your going up from your physical body and your seeing yourself sleeping. and you think to yourself huh? im actually flying. And your are your going up from your bedroom on top of your house and then on top of buildings and you realize your flying and that you are. This astral projection is perfectly normal and it happens to every single one of us. It actually happens to everyone, every night! but we dont realize that were leaving our bodies but sometimes we do.

To learn more about this:

http://www.theartofastralprojection.com/lp?sr=1&cid=Search-US&aid=Astral-Projection-EM&placement=&gclid=CNLVttPTua0CFYMEQAodh0gr8w
Had panic attacks in my teens, all the usual, short breath,palpitations,clamy, hot,cold, heart attack,death thoughts....the whole package.I got over them,but now at 45 I am having insomnia, sleep a couple of hours, awake hot/cold, feels like im sleeping longer,but awake 2 am, 3 am, then my heart races, then I panic, I get up, try to calm down, pace up and down, walk outside in the cold as it feels 'safer', all stems from a mere high blood pressure reading, that has triggered the 'fear' juggernaut as if it had never been away..I have lost 5 kilos in 10 days, changed diet in that time, walk 20min-30 a day, during the day I am ok, no palpitations, stress...it's nightfall, getting into bed is the start of it, what can I do to just get in bed and have a straight 6 -7 hour sleep and awake without the anxiety?????? I want to sleep, can anybody help?
I have researched foods that cause nighttime panic attacks and along with the obvious one of caffeine, chocolate has a compound in it (besides caffeine) that can cause nightmares. In addition, there is very little research on this but some processed foods have additives in them and preservatives that can contribute to alterations in brain chemistry. I think the best thing would be to cut out caffeine after breakfast, and eat only fresh, unprocessed foods at dinner and after dinner. I frequently have panic attacks in my sleep that started about 2 years ago, but my mom told me that when I was younger if I had Vienna fingers or chocolate ice cream before bed I would wake up convinced that ants are crawling all over me. Twenty years later, it seems the same triggers are starting to affect me again.

It may be a good idea to keep a food diary, and add some cardio exercise into your routine for the good endorphins. Just read that 45 minutes of cardio 3x a week can be just as effective as anti-depressants for some people. Granted, many of us say "I'm not depressed, I have anxiety," as I have for years, but the truth is- it's a fine line, and we can really cross over at any time. Exercise is a great choice. When my anxiety got really bad by freshman year in college, cardio exercise helped me to get my heart rate down throughout the day because I was in better shape. This helps because your body does not feel the symptoms of an anxiety attack, the racing heart, as strongly. Your heart may be able to handle things better.

Just some ideas. Medications have not worked for me, and have caused me increased depression, hallucinations, and vertigo.

This is a tough ailment to suffer from, because it affects all aspects of our lives and no one can understand it!
I am the mother of two adult children who have had panic attacks for years. As far as I have read no one seems to have a solution. Self help or medication, physological help maybe can aleviate the symptoms but they don't get rid of them and medications have side effects.
Now we all have something that causes us grief. Yours is the panic, with others it could be addictions, cancer, MS or living a life of crime, having an unfaithful spouse, being abused, being born with a disability, a combination of a few and the list goes on. What people don't seem to realise is that answers can be simple. For you- continue to do those things that help you when the panic is there but do something else that will start to lead you in the right direction. There is generally a cause. Ask God what this is. Ask Him to heal you. Get a bible and start reading and have a highlighter handy as sometimes passages seem to reach out to you speaking the words you are crying out in your soul and they give you comfort. I don't want to go on but we have been created for a purpose. Apparently the bigger the struggle the more you will be used. Obviously Gods adversary doesn't want you to succeed with your purpose. God knows the purpose He has created you for, ask Him to take over your life and your problems (visualise yourself handing them over like you hand over a parcel) and then try and relax knowinig that He will do this. He knows whats going on - you only need to reach out and he is waiting for you to do this Talk to a good minister in a christian church or a christian friend. Don't be afraid to do this, you will be suprised what others are going through, you are not going crazy, you just need to understand you are in a battle and you need to come to believe that the battle is not yours - but Gods.
Hang in there.  
A mum
Hang in there.  
A mum
hi, I am a 47 year old male who I think is just starting to suffer panic attacks mid sleep.  I just woke up and my left arm was numb and my heart racing.  I was just weened off high blood pressure pills   and had some horrible sleepless nights.  I was put on a low dose Lorazapam1mg to help calm down and sleep at night.  After 2 nights i though i would could make it through the night without taking one and just 30 minutes ago woke up after sleeping for less than an hour with a racing heart and numb left arm.  I am freaking as this has never happened to me before.  Help!  Has anyone else experienced this?  I am shaky and as I write this, my heart rate has come down.  I don't want to get hooked on sleeping pills as I heard thy can be addictive.
Panic attack ????1/27/12 my first issue  they say caused by an asthma/allergy attack... but my heart rate has been constantly over 88 since that all day and at night on xanax and off...( week 3 now they gave me xanax without a holter or cardiologist) and i still wake at 3 am and 530 am ( sometimes more) with a pounding heart/ sweting some nights worse than others... when i lie on my left side it feels like my heart skips or wiggles then pounds( like gas bubbles but in your chest)...... I keep asking for a cardiologist but my primary keeps pushing drugs and saying panic....i've been weak and winded for 3 weeks..... THIS IS NOT ME...  two weeks before this i  was fast walking  35 min on a treadmill and walking up and down the block for exercise... no problem..... now to get up to go to the bathroom at night i'm shaky and weak
Almost every night I wake up around 2am heart racing almost crying from feeling so anxious and I don't know what to do. I usually fall back asleep by 4am or so from just being so echausted. My older sister has major anxiety issues and the older I get the more I think I'm developing them as well.
Hello all, I am a 49 year old female who suffers from periods of severe anxiety. In the last week I have been waking up between 6:00 and 6:30 a.m. with a racing heart, heavy breathing and a feeling of panic. There have been changes in my job recently, but I have been assured that my position is safe, yet I still experience feelings of fear of "losing everything" -my house, dogs, etc. I owe money (like everyone else) but I am totally current on bills and mortgage. I know intellectually that everything will be alright, but I still experience the panic attacks. I was taking Lexapro and Zyprexa at one point for some time, but went off of it months ago without any problems until recently.
Any advice? Thank you.      
i have the same prob as u and idk wat causes the problems i just have these sudden heart racing attacks at night where u try to go 2 sleep but then u feel yourself bouta die and idk wat it is....i need an answer
Dear all
I'm a 46 year old woman who's been having night time panic attacks 3 or 4 times a week for about 8 months. I didn't know they were panic attacks until seeing my doctor 4 weeks ago with other signs of stress that occurred during the day. I had thought they were hot flushes due to peri-menopause. I completed a depression questionnaire and was diagnosed with mild depression. I didn't want medication though, trying to cope without it. I took 2 weeks annual leave from work but then went back for 3 days and walked out of work 2 weeks ago because I couldn't cope anymore. Just couldn't seem to concentrate or think straight.
I have seen my doctor every week, started counselling (only 1 session so far but going back next week), I've been getting better everyday following a stress control course. Had another panic attack last night, but I know that I will get better.
For all those people asking  "What's happening to me?" You need to look at why you feel the way you feel and why the body is reacting this way to get you through the panic attacks - day or night. It's usually about a lack of carbon dioxide due to hyperventilation which causes a sense of shortness of breath, blood vessels constrict and the heart starts to pump harder to get blood around these narrowed blood vessels, and you get too much adrenalin in the system. If you understand what's happening to your body you're better able to control it.
I'd recommend the following websites as they provide great help.

http://glasgowsteps.com/home.php
http://www.mind.org.uk/help/diagnoses_and_conditions/panic_attacks

I hope that these are helpful.Good luck. J xx
I wake up at night feeling the same way. It is frightening.  I begin to feel like I need someone to talk to right away to comfort me - to tell me that I am o.k. I believe it is caused by stress and irregular sleep.  I will not take medication to relieve stress because I believe that would eventually increase my anxiety.  I pray, I and have reached out to a relative to help calm me down. It is embarrasing at times.
We have to find ways to calm ourselves.   I have herbal teas that help with anxiety on hand always and I will immediately get in the bath to feel the water.  It calms me.  We will be fine because we have to believe it will not last and it doesn't.  
I wake up at night feeling the same way. It is frightening.  I begin to feel like I need someone to talk to right away to comfort me - to tell me that I am o.k. I believe it is caused by stress and irregular sleep.  I will not take medication to relieve stress because I believe that would eventually increase my anxiety.  I pray, I and have reached out to a relative to help calm me down.  
Im so glad to have found this site. I too am suffering so bad with these nocturnal panic attcks. Im 25, only used to suffer from anxiety & panic attacks during the day but then they started coming of a night & they are so much harder to control especially when u are exhausted and all you want to do is sleep. Mine happen as im falling asleep when i eventually do drift off i seem to be fine but some night i watch it get light as i desperatley try an drop off to sleep. Its very scary. I will be just about to drift off & i shoot up gasping for air feeling like im fighting to stay alive its so intense & so scary. My heart doesnt pound tho i am just so so tired i lie there & try an get bk to sleep only to have it happen over & over again i feel so privliged if i manage to get a night where i just drift off to sleep normally. I am a newlywed, happily married & desperate to start tryin 4 a baby but worry how this would effect the baby. Anyone suffered these nocturnal panic attacks whilst pregnant?
I pray we all find a cure for this & one day soon manage to just fall asleep normally & stay asleep. Its good to know im not alone. xx
I am a guy in my late fifties, and suffered night panics for many years; I was like so many out there, waking up terrified with what was going on with my body. Having forums like this now is a wonderful way to connnect with people especially young people  who have the same problems, but can now, realise they are not alone; For me I believed I was the only person in the world feeling these horrible symptoms, and unfortunately my doctor , made me feel that as well. Life  today is so full of stress, worry and bad news, and most of us are spending our days at work or at school or college trying to keep on top everything that is thrown at us, trying to relax completely  is truly not that easy. My advice which has helped me, is to try and not beat yourself up about what is happening to your body, just accept it, dont fight it  and try and love yourself even more for experiencing  such sensitivity.My advice to young people is to look at the posts from some of us older people out there, and realise after maybe years we are still here, after all the panics we have had. I look back at my life and I can honestly say that having these panic attacks, particularly at night, have made me a far more sensitive and caring and understanding person, than from the person I may have been; It altered my life, and career, but I can honestly say, I would not want to be any different to how I am now. Peace to everyone x

I suffer from the same thing, I have to wake myself up to start breathing and get my heart back to normal.

Did you come across any causes/treatments?

I have experienced all of these issues that have been mentioned and because I fear it so much I get sacred of going 2 sleep. I will stay up way into the early hours of the morning until I'm so exhausted I can no longer keep my eyes open, I'm then up at 7 with my very energetic 4 year old! I suffer from panic attacks throughout the day which increase at night time and anyone who has ever had a panic attack will know they are very similar 2 heart attacks therefore I constantly think the worst and fear sleep either because I will wake up breathless and confused through the night or for fear of not  waking up at all. I think I'm crazy! But its comforting 2 read I'm not the only one with issues
Hi guys gald so glad to have affirmation that Im not crazy for feeling what I feel. I too stay up till the weee hours of the morning hoping to just knock out. I got my first attack in early Jan. Ive been to the the er and in and out of the doctors ever since. Feeling like I was dying.Last time I was there I was told my ticker is fine after an ekg my bp is a bit high like 138/90. I read on some of your posts the importance of a good diet before you go to sleep. I Will definately stay away from any heavy greasy food after 7. And ty to come up with some relaxation routine. I think I might get abit more sleep tonight  with some of this new knowledge and knowing im not the only one that suffers with this. Ty all. Now lets try to get some sleep!! :)
My husband has had tremendous anxiety, panic attacks, terror dreams, huge insomnia, and panic wakeups for 21 months now, and it has been quite a life change for both of us.  He has been on various psychiatric meds, many of which didn't help or drugged him out way too much (like Seroquel, highly recommend against this drug for depression/anxiety); but is currently on Klonopin, Buspirone, 5HTP, Gaba, and theanine.  This current regimen is helping him somewhat, and there has been some noticeable healing in the past 2-3 months thankfully.  He still wakes up in the 4am or 5am hour and often can't go back to sleep, otherwise he wakes up with terror dreams and panic attacks, with his heart palpitating and his body trembling; so that is really rough on the quantity of sleep that he gets, and therefore he has less serotonin in his body (amongst other things) and less of a feeling of wellbeing/calmness.  The daytime anxiety is still worse in the morning, a bit less in the afternoon, and quite a bit less in the evening if there are no stressful things happening and if he is not ruminating about anything that is stressful.  It's still quite a mystery what is going on, but he continues to eat healthfully and on time, take all of his prescriptions and supplements, and get moderate amounts of exercise (can't exercise vigorously like before, otherwise he feels uneasy and perhaps adrenaline-depleted).  We are thinking about seeing a naturopath who specializes in endocrine issues, and with all of the testing that she orders, we feel we might be able to hone in on the imbalances that are happening.  Thankfully the testing we want is covered by insurance because this neurotransmitter test is $3,000 and takes a month to be fully evaluated.  We will see.  Peace to everyone.  You are not alone, and there are natural supplements and herbs that can help at least somewhat.
Also, looking into sleep disorders and getting a sleep test is a good idea for people who are having problems with insomnia and anxiety.  My husband had a take-home and in-house sleep test recently.  The take-home test revealed that he has severe sleep apnea, and we are awaiting the results of the in-house test currently, but I'm sure they'll show the same results and perhaps other sleep disorders in addition to the sleep apnea.  My brother also has sleep apnea and had anxiety and panic wakeups, and now that he is using the CPAP machine and mask, his anxiety/panic is gone.
The effect of more hours of darkness on many people can be relieved by taking extra Vitamin D3 and use of a full-spectrum therapy light.  Seasonal Affective Disorder may be making your nighttime panic attacks worse.
Try it and see if it helps.  I hope so.
Had my first night time anxiety attack in a long time. I woke up around 330am with the whole body tingling, cold, sense of doom. It was like riding a wave of anxiety. Up and down. It would get intense and subside. Really bizarre feeling. I just rode it and fell back asleep only to wake up an hour or so later to it being more intense. I had to pee urgently, I was shaking severely, the waves were coming faster and more intense. Is is possible to have an anxiety attack for 3 or more hours straight? I was really getting worried I was dying. I popped an ativan, and the bugger didn't even touch it. That really freaked me out. I decided to get on the internet to see if this was normal, and it seems most of what I was enduring is. Just still haven't found many people how haven't had ativan work, or who have expeienced "waves"  of anxiety that just doesn't stop.
For the past 2 months, ive had paniac attacks.. every night. During the day im fine, i mean i can feel them coming on, but i can do something, & it'll take my mind off of it., & im fine. But at night time, i have NO CONTROL. My heart starts racing, i get shortness of breath, i get dizzy, i feel detached from everyone, & i have the fear im dying. When I first started having them, i had no idea what was wrong with me. My mother took me to the ER, 2 different times. The doctors said nothing was wrong, my heart beat waa normal, & blood was fine. I thought i was goinf crazy. Nobody understand what i was going through. My parents couldnt even comfort me, they tryed, but it wouldnt help. Im only 15. Since ive had panic attacks, its changed my life, my body, & me. Im not the same person i use to be. I cant even live my life, do things i enjoy, because i fear of going into one. I always feel anixious, uncomfortable, nervous, scared. I hate it. I hate whats it done to me. I have no idea what to do. I need help, any advise would helpp!!!!! Ive tryed everything. NOTHING HELPS. My paniac attacks can last up too 1-2 hours, sometimes the whole night. I get no sleeep! I eventually doze off when i get exhausted. Can anyone tell me what i can do , when i go into one? what causes panic attacks? How can i stop them from happening? or what can i do to control them???!
Yes I get the panic gasping for air all through the night thing. I hate it it scares me I feel like my heart stops then its pounding when I wake up. I have wonder what it was for years.
Wine doesn't have 'sulfites'. They put sodium metabisulfite into wine when they make it, but it changes into a non-sulfite form due to chemical reactions long before you drink it. The stuff stabilizes the wine and renders the yeast immobile and takes out bacteria but only for 48 hours. People who say they are having a reaction to sulfites in wine are more likely reacting to the tannin in the grape, which is a problem for many people.
I have the same thing that many people have posted here.  Waking up between 2 and 4 a.m. gasping for air, heart racing.  In about 5 minutes I am usually back to normal, but still a little worried it will happen again.
I have anxiety problems in the day time as well.  I take Lexapro.  Sometimes I need a little Lorazepam.   I often go to kitchen and have some Chamomile tea as well.
tell yourself this is panic feeling is my new third arm, it is part of me., This is part of your day, just play the game and learn how to make it a game.(mental note: you have no choice this will take away the being scared feeling or bringing it on ) with it learn how manage yourself while your actually in the attack. You really need to have faith in G-d meaning knowing that you are safe.

when you are scared you bring it on to yourself.
being scared is the creation of panic attack.
I am writing this paragraph below for the intention of all people to have a peaceful life, This is the path of G-d.

practice living your life with G-d by your side. People that do not have faith in Life, Don't have G-d in there life.
Have Faith in the realization that our stability is G-d.
Deborah55 commented on 9 months+ off Subs !!...
29 mins ago
10356 commented on ang_811's status
58 mins ago
10356 commented on corey411's status
59 mins ago