Anxiety Community
Non-medicinal treatments for anxiety

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Non-medicinal treatments for anxiety

I know that for many medication is a blessing and the only way to deal with anxiety issues. Does anyone have any recommendations for non-medicinal treatment? I know that counseling is an option, but any options pertaining  to diet, practicing yoga, etc that people have found helpful? I appreciate any ideas/input.
Having someone to talk to always helps, I know when my anxiety gets bad I feel like I'm going crazy, and having someone there to validate my feelings helps. Counselors are great, you have their complete attention, and it helps take some of the pressure off friends/family (it's hard to depend on people who don't really understand, and it can strain relationships I've found). Deep breathing is very helpful for me, it slows my heart rate and I try and think of things that I am greatful for. Tai Chi can be great to- a physical outlet for your anxiety can be really helpful, to realse all that excess energy. Never tried yoga, but I would think it would have similar benefits.
I take a all natural vitamin and omega 3's. They work pretty good. Omega 3 is known to help with anxiety. Magnesium is also good. I just found out that I have restless leg syndrome and take requip now, but I use to take the magnesium and that was good too. I might be taking the magnesium again, but right now my vitamin and the requip has magnesium in it. I was worried about taking to much mag and stopped. My doctor is looking in to taking both again. I just want to be sure that I am not getting to much. I also hear that exercise is great too. I will be starting that again soon, now that My girls are in school. I can't take any ssri's so natural is all I can do. I do take xanax as needed. Maybe a couple a month. Hope this helps.
do you take the fish oil with omega-3 , mine are 1200 mg with fish oil, have not taken them yet . thanks
Hi Ziggy, I have anxiety and I'm 19 years old.

Anyway, I've had anxiety since I was young, about 12/13. I didn't really know what it was, I was constantly in fear of dying, or getting a mental disorder and a whole load of stuff. I tried telling my parents and doctor, but they didn't pay much attention to it. So anyway, I started reading a lot, I began to realize when I was around 15-16 that I was suffering from anxiety, or i'll call it, a monster in my head. Basically, how I "dealt" with it is; I would talk to people about it as a condition and not a burden, I would train myself to validate my own feelings, it was hard not to lose "grip" of reality. I also go through derealization, feelings of it. But i'm fine now, I've become accustom to it. It's become my "own" reality, through my own eyes basically. Everyone is different, really. Anyway, does anyone here with anxiety suffer with visual snow?
specialmom, and TinaR10 commented on Shannon79's status
29 mins ago
imanny2015 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
Meganann123 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...