Anxiety Community
OCD with germs and contamination
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

OCD with germs and contamination

Hi - I've had an anxiety disorder for many years now, so this is nothing new, but I would like some advice on how to deal with a specific OCD thing that I go through at my home. I'm 26-years-old and I like to go out often to the bars with my friends on the weekends. Well, when I come home, I always feel contaminated from being out at the bars and I feel like my purse and shoes are kind of contaminated, as well as my clothes/coat, and makeup in the purse that I often apply during the night in the bathroom. It bothers me too to use the bathroom at bars. I'll use it, but I always come home feeling disgusting. Then I'll go to bed and I feel like my bedding is contaminated because Im didn't shower when I got home. It's such a horrible thing to go through. I do currently see a therapist about it and I have been on anti-depressants in the past. (I don't want to be back on them - I'd rather get through this without meds.)  Sometimes I feel like I can differentiate when I should be feeling contaminated and when I'm overreacting. I mean if you think about it, how's it any different than going to Wal-Mart and handling a shopping cart or using the restroom there?  Does anyone have any comments that would help to ease my mind. I know I'm overreacting, but sometimes it causes me to constantly wash my bedding and to not want to go out.
Tags: OCD
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Above it's supposed to read "sometimes I feel like I CAN'T differentiate..."
Blank
Hi Jennifer, I have a similar problem. I actually can't really eat outside because I fear of what may be in my food. I was diagnosed with 3 Axis I disorders including OCD. I basically try to distract myself when this happens or talk to someone you trust. I am now on the lookout for a self help book, I think they are of help with these types of thoughts.
Blank
Hi there. Thanks for sharing what you go through. I hope that you get some help to deal with what you're going through. I know it can be tough. Good luck! ~Jennifer
Blank
148258_tn?1220829417
Hi. :) I have almost this EXACT same problem. One thing that I do that helps really ease my mind, is when I get home I wash my hands and up to my elbows with soap and warm water and then I get a wash cloth and a can of lysol and I wipe down all of the stuff I have on me.....cell phone, wallet, keys etc. That ALWAYS makes me feel a lot safer.

You may think thats a pain in the butt solution, but it really doesn't take long at all, and it does make for much more peace of mind. Good luck. :)

--Sarah
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Recent Activity
1302038_tn?1414004539
Blank
TinaR10 commented on KeeLolo's status
55 mins ago
6726276_tn?1388332222
Blank
CRSeaside commented on photo
1 hr ago
Blank
IndigoIris commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
1 hr ago
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms
Start Tracking Now
Top Anxiety Answerers
Blank
anxiety860
Blank
birdie0907
Calgary, AB