Anxiety Community
OCD with germs and contamination

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

OCD with germs and contamination

Hi - I've had an anxiety disorder for many years now, so this is nothing new, but I would like some advice on how to deal with a specific OCD thing that I go through at my home. I'm 26-years-old and I like to go out often to the bars with my friends on the weekends. Well, when I come home, I always feel contaminated from being out at the bars and I feel like my purse and shoes are kind of contaminated, as well as my clothes/coat, and makeup in the purse that I often apply during the night in the bathroom. It bothers me too to use the bathroom at bars. I'll use it, but I always come home feeling disgusting. Then I'll go to bed and I feel like my bedding is contaminated because Im didn't shower when I got home. It's such a horrible thing to go through. I do currently see a therapist about it and I have been on anti-depressants in the past. (I don't want to be back on them - I'd rather get through this without meds.)  Sometimes I feel like I can differentiate when I should be feeling contaminated and when I'm overreacting. I mean if you think about it, how's it any different than going to Wal-Mart and handling a shopping cart or using the restroom there?  Does anyone have any comments that would help to ease my mind. I know I'm overreacting, but sometimes it causes me to constantly wash my bedding and to not want to go out.
Tags: OCD
Above it's supposed to read "sometimes I feel like I CAN'T differentiate..."
Hi Jennifer, I have a similar problem. I actually can't really eat outside because I fear of what may be in my food. I was diagnosed with 3 Axis I disorders including OCD. I basically try to distract myself when this happens or talk to someone you trust. I am now on the lookout for a self help book, I think they are of help with these types of thoughts.
Hi there. Thanks for sharing what you go through. I hope that you get some help to deal with what you're going through. I know it can be tough. Good luck! ~Jennifer
Hi. :) I have almost this EXACT same problem. One thing that I do that helps really ease my mind, is when I get home I wash my hands and up to my elbows with soap and warm water and then I get a wash cloth and a can of lysol and I wipe down all of the stuff I have on me.....cell phone, wallet, keys etc. That ALWAYS makes me feel a lot safer.

You may think thats a pain in the butt solution, but it really doesn't take long at all, and it does make for much more peace of mind. Good luck. :)

--Sarah
ditch6755 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
Food Safety for Both Hot and Cold F...
11 hrs ago by gymdandee
lulu747 commented on Feeling real and tryi...