Anxiety Community
Obbsessive Scalp Picking

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

Obbsessive Scalp Picking

Hello Everyone!

I am 15, I have been picking my scalp since 7th grade , so I was 12. I know I am in the lesser number of years picking, but I have about 2 or 3 really bad spots on my head that I pick untill I bleed.

I have a feeling it's an anxiety thing for me, I am outrageously shy, and I think that could add to my anxiety.

When I touch my scalp, it really hurts, but I always go to pick it! If I have picked away all the scabs, I have this almost sticky liquid like substance that comes out of the scab, and then it starts to bleed.

I have told my mom that my head had hurt and that mabye we should go to the doctor, but she just said I think you are ok, so I am stuck in a rut, I would go to the doctor if I could, but I don't think my mom realizes whats going on. What should I do? Do yu have any advice for me and others with this scary habit?

THANKS!

Best wishes to all! :)  
OCD and anxiety can really be hard to deal with without help in my opinion.  I have had to deal with both, but for me seeing a doctor and talking it through helped me tremendously.  Does your mother know how much you pick your scalp?  Have you sat down with her and talked to her how much of an obsession it has become and that you really want to stop?  I know it can be really hard to convince a parent that something like this sometimes.  
I have scratched and picked my scalp for about fifteen years. It started with a spot on my scalp that may have been normal dandruff, or it may have been fungal. Who knows, but it's been a long road since. It has always flaked and when I would scratch, tons of dandruff came off. Over the years, the size of the spot has gotten bigger and bigger and obsessive scratching has taken over my life. To me, I've always scratched until dandruff stopped falling. I felt better once it was all off of me, so to speak. Of course, guilt and shame often followed. My skin would be sore and I'd still feel dirty for doing it.

I had tried all the regular shampoos. Head and Shoulders, coal tar, Selson Blue. Nothing worked. I realized most of the problem was behavioral and even tried using a scalp massager whenever I got the urge to scratch. But, itching would always drive me nuts after a couple of days. I am prone to eczema on my torso and even tried Mometasone Furoate Rx cream on it. But I only did a couple days treatment and quit.

I went to a dermatologist and she gave me a sample of Ketaconazole foam. That didn't work. Recently, the spots on my scalp spread to the other side of my head and I really began to feel despair. Something needed to be done.

Recently, I had my eczema cream refilled for my torso rash. I also splurged on the expensive Nizoral Ketoconazole shampoo in the store. I shaved my head and started using the shampoo once a day and the cream twice daily.

I almost cry because it seems to be clearing up. And it doesn't itch anymore and the positive feelings have made me not want to scratch at it and just leave it be.  For the first time in fifteen years, I feel like I'm finally winning this battle.

So, I realize this cure may not work for everyone. But, especially if you are prone to eczema, I urge you to try it. Prescription Mometasone Furoate cream  to treat it as eczema and Nizoral Ketoconazole shampoo to treat it as fungal.
Jade59 commented on breezytoo's status
55 mins ago
Jade59 commented on AppleBr's status
1 hr ago
Barb135 commented on SOY
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms