Offacolatory Reference Syndrome or???
Hey everyone,

I am a 16 year old male and I have had a problem for the past year relating to a intense "paranoia" (if you like) over weather I smell bad or not - Ive even had SEVERE panic attacks relating to this (And I have never had a panic attack over anything else in my life). It all started Around August Last year and people started to tell me I stunk and I heared comments on the bus too. Now I have always been a hyginic person and even before all of this started happening I took 2 baths a day (Properly - with soap etc), brush my teeth 3 times a day and wear deodorant etc. and I still continue to do so. Its calmed down a fair bit now but I am still suffering from intesnse anxiety.

Despite all of this, I still belive that I smell; the reason I think this may not be true is the fact that I am so hygenic so how on earth could I smell bad? However, I still get a "sense" occasionaly that people think I smell (Sniffing when I enter thier personal space - rubbing thier nose - somtimes but rarely moving away - people saying "It smells in here" when I cant smell a thing - Opening thier car windows when im in there)

That said, I think I COULD have a digestive problem because it seems that after I eat somthing; doesnt realy matter what it is - I have EXTREME flatulance (I know flatulance is very normal but not in the volumes I have experienced). However, people behave in a way even when I havent "farted" in a long while.

As you can imagine, this constant checking in my head if I smell or not is making me SO upset. Its realy hard because I cant seem to be normal with all of this... Ive even been the doctor once and she said theres nothing to worry about and I should just carry on with my high level of hygine.

Can anyone mabye offer some suggestions as to what this could be? Do you think mabye I smell bad or do I have Offacolatory Reference Syndrome? Mabye my hormones are messed up (Im only 16 afterall) - I just need awnsers because this whole thing is starting to ruin my social life and even my life in general.

Thanks so much!
Stephen.
Additional Info:-

Here is a website which discribes what ORS is because I didnt even know until yesterday and I imagine many of you wont either http://www.ocdla.com/olfactoryreferencesyndrome.html

Please help; this whole situation realy sucks and the fact its gone on for a year now has started to get to me.

Thankyou
Stephen.