Aa
A
A
Close
Offacolatory Reference Syndrome or???
Hey everyone,

I am a 16 year old male and I have had a problem for the past year relating to a intense "paranoia" (if you like) over weather I smell bad or not - Ive even had SEVERE panic attacks relating to this (And I have never had a panic attack over anything else in my life). It all started Around August Last year and people started to tell me I stunk and I heared comments on the bus too. Now I have always been a hyginic person and even before all of this started happening I took 2 baths a day (Properly - with soap etc), brush my teeth 3 times a day and wear deodorant etc. and I still continue to do so. Its calmed down a fair bit now but I am still suffering from intesnse anxiety.

Despite all of this, I still belive that I smell; the reason I think this may not be true is the fact that I am so hygenic so how on earth could I smell bad? However, I still get a "sense" occasionaly that people think I smell (Sniffing when I enter thier personal space - rubbing thier nose - somtimes but rarely moving away - people saying "It smells in here" when I cant smell a thing - Opening thier car windows when im in there)

That said, I think I COULD have a digestive problem because it seems that after I eat somthing; doesnt realy matter what it is - I have EXTREME flatulance (I know flatulance is very normal but not in the volumes I have experienced). However, people behave in a way even when I havent "farted" in a long while.

As you can imagine, this constant checking in my head if I smell or not is making me SO upset. Its realy hard because I cant seem to be normal with all of this... Ive even been the doctor once and she said theres nothing to worry about and I should just carry on with my high level of hygine.

Can anyone mabye offer some suggestions as to what this could be? Do you think mabye I smell bad or do I have Offacolatory Reference Syndrome? Mabye my hormones are messed up (Im only 16 afterall) - I just need awnsers because this whole thing is starting to ruin my social life and even my life in general.

Thanks so much!
Stephen.
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Additional Info:-

Here is a website which discribes what ORS is because I didnt even know until yesterday and I imagine many of you wont either http://www.ocdla.com/olfactoryreferencesyndrome.html

Please help; this whole situation realy sucks and the fact its gone on for a year now has started to get to me.

Thankyou
Stephen.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms
Start Tracking Now
Top Anxiety Answerers
Blank
Arlington, VA
Blank