Anxiety Community
One Week On Celexa - Need input - thanks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Hi, guys - I've been taking 5 mg of Citalopram (Celexa) for just over a week.  My doctor started me at that dose and said I probably would not feel anything because it was so low - it was just to get me 'used' to it, as I was very afraid of taking meds.  I'm also taking 2mg Valium, half in the am. and half at night.  I take the Celexa in the am.  

At first, I felt nothing - was like huh?  This rocks - I don't feel it.  Now, when I wake up, my hands are really sore, and I sort of 'ache' all over.  I also get very tired.  If I lie down on my bed at alll, during the day, I'm done - I just stay there.  The biggest change is just an overwhelming feeling of I don't give a ****.  They should call this stuff Fukitol because that's how I feel.  Not depressed / sad, upset, just Blah - it takes more energy and motivation for me to get up and do my work, and takes longer as sometimes, I feel like I'm in slow-mo.  I don't know if this is due to the Valium, the Celexa or neither - any ideas?  Thanks.  
Drowsiness can be a side effect of Celexa, but if it's this bothersome you may want to give your prescribing doctor a call.  There is an adjustment period of 1-2 weeks with these types of medications, and then things get better.  It takes 4-6 weeks for this medication to reach a full therapeutic level in your system, and for you to feel the full benefit of it.  But any unusual or bothersome side effects when starting a medication should always be reported to your doctor, he/she needs and wants to know how you're doing.  I would call and see what your doctor has to say and go from there.  Best wishes.
I have experienced this same effect (drowsiness, fatigue, etc) from taking ativan.  I think it all depends on the person as to how these meds work.  I switched to clonazepam recently, and my improvement has been amazing.  I agree totally with mammo, see your doctor!
I really doubt that 5mgs of Celexa would be causing those side-effects.  That's a tiny dose.  I would see your doctor.  Maybe something else is going on. I do believe the Celexa takes away some of my energy and the motivation to get things done around the house, but I take 60 mgs.  I originally switched to the Celexa because my doc thought it would be less stimulating than past SSRI's I had tried.  He was right and I have not had the sleep problems with it.  It works great for the anxiety so the benefits outweigh the side-effects for me.  
specialmom commented on AnnieBrooke's status
1 hr ago
specialmom commented on specialmom's status
10356 commented on opus88's status