Anxiety Community
Over-excited

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Over-excited

Can you help my unusual problem...How can I control my excitement about good stuff in my life? I get so excited if it is about to happen that I get panic symptoms. Examples are when I'm going on a much-wanted date, or when I'm pulling off a big deal in business, which is awesome. I am not conscious of being worried, just excited and happy! Please help because it is making my life so miserable!
Tags: excited
How is this making your life miserable?  You said that you are not conscious of being worried, just excited and happy; that may be a good thing.  Now, is the excitement causing you to panic?  If so, excitement does mirror panic symptoms in my opinion; elevated heart hate, sweating, 'jitteriness,' etc.  There are many techniques one can try to relax from slow deep breathing to talking it over with a therapist.  Quite often, just talking about it will give you the knowledge to beat it....keep us posted and ask as many questions as you like.

It;s that surge of adrenaline that effects us when we are excited and when we are anxious.  I actually just experienced it this morning.  I was so excited about picking up my new bicycle (I haven't ridden a bike in over 40 years) and riding it back to my home.  At first I was afraid I was going to have a panic attack and then I realized it really wasn't panic, it was excitement...maybe a little anxiety because I wasn't even sure that I still knew how to ride a bike.  LOL  Turns out, I sort of can.  The point is differentiating between what is normal excitement and what is over the top that leads to a panic type state.  Excitement is good but I do know how it can lead to that over the top situation where it is no longer a happy experience.  I should have looked at your profile before writing this because I would consider it could be a hormonal issue if you are approaching menopause or are perimenopausal.  Sometimes our hormones get so out of whack during this time that we can have these over the top emotions.  Mind you, this can happen with others who are not at that stage in life yet.  You might want to have your thyroid looked at too.  Definitely, make an appointment with your doctor and let him know all that you are feeling.  Deep breathing before or during an exceptionally exciting event may help and also, exercise is a great way to release some of that excess adrenaline.

Another thing that I would like to mention is that some people get confused that if you have a anxiety disorder then they automatically assume that you are also depressed.  That is definitely not the case.  Yes there are some that have both but then there are others, like me, who do not have depression and I'm basically a very happy person.  No one would even know that I have GAD and panic plus agoraphobia if they didn't know me well.  So just because you are exceedingly happy doesn't mean that this should be taken lightly because I do know how you feel and I also know it can be addressed.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks so much. Glad you didn't fall off your bike in the end...I wonder if deep down I am anxious in case things don't go the happy way I am anticipating. Alternatively, I am a pretty driven person and I think it's a flight-or-fight response to a 'non-threat'. Your response has definitely made me think. Thanks again. All the best.  
Thanks CJ. You're spot on - it's adrenaline I reckon. I think I need to practise the self-help techniques you mention and need to take a more laid-back attitude to life. Life's too short isn't it. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.
Alot of us are really driven people, that is why we do tend to get anxious even in non-threatening situations.  We are perfectionists who want everything to go exactly as we have it planned out.  It's learning to let go and relax a little that is the hard part for some of us. It's all about control.  We love it and are not comfortable if we don't have it in every aspect of our lives.  Learning to give up that control and be comfortable with that decision is the key.  
I have the same prolem. I feel like I am going to disneyland all the time now and I can't stand it anymore. I am on some pills the doctor gave me and have been on them fo 6 months now. Sometimes my hands tingle and legs feel heavy. But I feel like I won a million dollars all the time and I hate it, So much I want to cry.
Did your hands tingle and legs feel heavy before the pills?  If not...then I would go back to your Dr. and get off of whatever it is!  (if it's the med. that started your symptoms)
specialmom, and nursegirl6572 commented on specialmom's status
Dalubaba commented on photo
TinaR10 commented on TinaR10's status