Anxiety Community
Panic Attacks after drinking

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Panic Attacks after drinking

So last night I went out and had a few drinks with my sister. I got buzzed but not drunk. Well today I felt fine except your normal aches and pains. I went to my sisters work to bring her lunch and was sitting in the car and out of nowhere felt like I got really light headed and couldnt see straight. My vision got blurry and everything felt like it was moving. It was so hard to concentrate. The worst was the lightheadedness. I find that after a night of drinking even if its light, I get full blown panic attacks. Does this sounds like a panic attack? im always afraid something is wrong with me, and im going to die at any moment. I had an EKG last week that was normal. any ideas?
Alcohol does increase your anxiety and as you know panic attacks can strike out of no where.  But I don't like to chalk everything up to anxiety, and if this is not typical of any previous panic attacks, I would see your doctor.  Are you doing anything to address your anxiety....therapy...medication?  You're not doing yourself any favors with the drinking....don't think it's work a panic attack.  It may just be making your panic attacks worse, but see your doctor to know for sure.  Best wishes.
Thanks for your response. This actually happened to me last weekend as well. I went out drinking thursday night with friends, and then was going to go out on friday night, and had what I thought was a panic attack as well before I went out on friday night. and didnt feel well for at least a few days. Im defintly going to stop drinking for awhile as this is kinda freaking me out. Im sort of a hypochondriac, and a hospital jumper. Ive been to the emergency room more times then i can count and in the last month Ive been three times, as well as my regular doctor twice. So Ive deffintley had blood work, ect done, as well as an EKG. Im not sure what is going on with the alchol and panic attacks, as it just started last weekend for the first time in a long time. what do you think?
It sounds like you've had everything else ruled out and now you need to accept that you are fine physically.  Keep in mind that it's our fears and worries that fuels our anxiety, accepting that your are fine physically would ease your anxiety tremendously. Alcohol heightens our anxiety, so it may be that as you continue to drink and worry it's creating more frequent and more intense panic attacks.  Once we start having panic attacks they tend to become more frequent and can intensify. I think it's a good decision to avoid the alcohol and see how you feel, at least this way you will know if it is making your anxiety worse.  If you're not getting help with your health anxiety....you really should.  Life is too short to worry it away.......I know this is easier said then done.  But with therapy you can learn to accept that physically you are fine, and how to cope with your anxiety in general.  Learning this now before your anxiety gets worse keeps you one step ahead of it and better off in the long run.  I hope this helps and wish you all the best!
Thanks again! Im defintly going to work on accepting Im okay. Do you have any advice or tips for this? I really want to feel better and beleive im okay.
The way I have always looked at it is like this......I get regular check-ups, and tests are all normal, so I'm going to live my life and not miss a moment due to worry!  When you are proactive with your health, you are staying one step ahead of everything allowing for a happier and healthier future. You don't want to wake up an old woman one day wondering where the years went.......you will have worried them away.  I would definitely get into therapy, this can be so much help to those of us who obcess over certain things.  Therapy is a great way to also learn a lot about yourself, and how to cope better.  You sound like you really have your act together, I think you can beat this with some therapy.  I want to see you feel better as well, please keep us posted on how you're doing!
Thank you so much mammo. You truly are extremely helpful. I have beat this before, with intensive group therapy that I did four times a week. But I do have a child now, and that would not be possible.But I defintly think i need to get into therapy. I will let you know how everything goes. Thank you so much
Jade59 commented on Jade59's status
1 hr ago
Avatar n tn
abbiechap commented on 5 year old son diagno...
10356 Coyote is always out there ... Comment
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms