Anxiety Community
Panic Attacks waking me up??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Panic Attacks waking me up??

I seem to be having panic attacks in my sleep. I wake up suddenly about 2 hours after I fall asleep in a complete panic. My face is numb and tingly and it is hard to breathe. My first thought is "oh my god this is it im dying.. and nobody is going to find me im all alone in this apt!"--- obviously a panic reaction..

My question is.. is this normal of someone who has suffered anxiety there whole lives to just now suddenly start to develop these kinds of panic attacks at night??

Is there anything to stop them..
Hi.  Anxiety's the pits, for sure.  Please read all the threads.  I know, it will take a long time, but you can find some good information, and learn how others are coping, and, mainly, it ain't gonna kill ya!  Some questions:  Has anyone told you that you snore?  Does it take forever for you to "get your head screwed on right" after you wake up?  Are you so groggy that you even have trouble walking steadily for a little while after waking?  Are you never refreshed when you wake up, never eager to start the day?  Do you ever wake (during the time when you're supposed to be sleeping) feeling the sense that you were lucky to wake up or that somehow someone was trying to connect with you mentally to wake you up?  Or dream that you needed to wake up?  Someone in a dream shouting at you to wake up?  Are you sleepy off and on during the day?  If you answered any of these questions with a yes, google sleep apnea.  Try to determine if you have enough systems to discuss having a sleep study performed.  Study low blood sugar (hypocglcemia) and adenal insufficiency, as well as candida, or systemic yeast infection.  All can cause the symptoms you mentioned.  In what physical positions do you sleep?  Could you be numbing yourself by your position?  Chiropractic manipulation might alleviate the numbness.  Try eating a few bites, 3-6, not a lot, of protein just before bed, to help stave off hypoglycemia.  Try some calcium & Vit D with the protein.  Of course, the anxiety may be causing what you're experiencing.  But good eating (no junk, no sugar, no processed foods, etc), pure water, high quality vitamins & minerals, and an effort to build up your adrenal glands and prevent the blood sugar cycles that are excessively low, coupled with your meds (or maybe some day without them) may make your anxiety recede to the point that you don't much notice it, except in circumstances that would try anyone.   You may have this forever, but how you deal with it determines whether you have it, or it has you.  When any other condition bothers me, I go ahead with whatever I'm doing.  It is extremely difficult to get into the habit of treating anxiety the same way.  Our fear feeds more anxiety feeds more fear feeds...  It becomes a beast, getting bigger and bigger, but only if we let it.  Read about it.  Talk about it.  Joke about it.  Talk TO it when it happens--just make sure no one is around to think you're talking to yourself!   Make fun of it.  Bully it.  If you go through the motions of being bigger than it is, it finally begins to be less intrusive, at least most of the time.  Read the threads and anything else to become better educated about anything that might affect you.  Good luck!  Tell us what works for you.
I actually stopped eating right before bed and stopped all caffeine use and i ahve seen a big improvement
i think i do need to see a chiropractor though because i still notice some numbness when i wake up.
I do not snore and I was unable to answer yes to any of those questions.
I think mine is related to my diet.

I have learned to talk myself out of it as well which definitely helps :)

thank you for the reply. :)
Well i had my first anxiety attack about a month or so ago.  I was just sitting at my computer talking to friends on msn when all of a sudden i felt realy i'd just stopped myself from fainting, felt light headed.  I just shook it off as some random thing but then it started to get worse.  My hands went numb, my chest muscles felt as though they were tightening up i thought i was having a heart attac which, of course, made the anxiety attack even worse.

Phoned for an ambulance, they sent a paramedic and it rook him about 45 minutes to calm me down.
Ever since then i seem to get them maybe once a week, like i had one today.  Me and 2 friends were in the pub and one of them brought me a pint of Guiness, i spent 5 minutes drinking it and i hadn't even reached half way down the glass before i felt anxiety sweeping through my upper stomache.  I find that i have to talk to people and the only way it'll go is if they're making me laugh, forgetting about it, taking my mind off it.

About an hour ago i was trying to sleep and just as i dozed off BAM that same feeling sweeps through me like a burst dam.  I hate it so godamn much i really do.  I'll feel it starting but i can usually fight it off if i try, but about 15 minutes later it'll start again.

I know that i have a drink before i go to bed so that i don't have bad dreams or dream at all or wake up and hiluscinate but tonight i've not had one so maybe that's the problem i don't know i just wish there was a way to stop them because i hate them so much :(
i've usually had these panic attacks through the night when i'm not feeling well usually with a cold and my temperature is high but lately i've seemed to have quite a few and it really freaks me out and puts me off from sleeping.
sometimes it feels like an object is it my hand n it freaks me out i really hate what is going on :(
Dalubaba commented on photo
1 hr ago
Dalubaba commented on photo
1 hr ago
Dalubaba commented on photo
1 hr ago