Anxiety Community
Panic and anxiety question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Panic and anxiety question

Hi i havnt posted here in a bit, ive been doing my best to deal with anxiety and all the symptoms that come with it. I think i am getting there slowly.

I had a scary moment 3 nights ago where i could feel a panic attack coming on, i think i have an idea of what a panick attack is im wondering if what i expirianced was one or something worse.. I was sitting in my room with a million thoughts running through my head and my heart starting pumping ridiculously, that freaked me out and my body be ome hot and my head light and dizzy, i had this pulling feeling in my forhead or the top of my head and i felt like i was about to die or i needed to die, i tried my best to make it stop by occupying myself trying to put together a flat pack, that took my mind off it for a bit and my heart calmed, but after the episode i hD a tight feeling in my chest like the beggining of a panic attack and i was frightnened i was going to die or feeling like i wanted to, it was horrible i called a helpline and spoke to a lady but for 3 days after throught the day i had a constant fear and that feeling in my chest its like i was in constant flight or fight feeling and i honestly wanted to "go" if you know what i mean.

This has really scared me and i was wondering if u stay awake during a panic attack the effects can last? I cried to my dad because i couldnt take feeling this way Nd told him i wanted to give up n that i cant cope. The feeling in my chest has gone but f i cant stop worring about what happened, and need to know what happened to me. I have pretty bad anxiety with the dr and dp which flu tuates. I should also mention that my doctor gave me medication 3 days before this happened that i thought id just try i think it was called zoloft (a cheaper immitation) i have a feeling this is what might have caused it.

Anyone had an expiriance similar or know what it was? Maybe a mixture of the meds and the exhaustion from dealing with everything brought this on????

Any advice would be awsome

Thanks, kirty x
Hey there Kirty,

Well it sounds to me like you had a panic episode, the sensations you describe are pretty much classic of one. In a state of panic, a person can feel an impending sense of doom or like they are going to faint, and it can be rather alarming and certainly shake you up if you haven't ever experienced it before - trust me I know the feeling but you do get over it. What I will say, is that you must not be afraid of them, they can be really scary, but they are HARMLESS. A panic episode is not dangerous in any way, it can frighten you but that is it. I've had a few of them, and personally had never felt my heart go wild like that and that in itself can be enough for some to get them worried over it. A panic episode does not cause any damage whatsoever to your heart. It can make you worry over it, causing some a "cardiac neurosis" which is an irrational worry about your heart (like me but I'm getting over it bit by bit) but all that is happening is an elevated stress response, so naturally your heart will start pumping fiercely merely because that is what is built into us, all living things have it. Sometimes you get palpitations which can be felt as a thud or a skip, or a flutter but these too are normal and won't do anything to you except maybe make you uncomfortable.  

Your heart rate may go up to a very high level, some people may experience heart rates up to 150 BPM, which again is typical in a bad panic attack. Your heart can beat fast for days and will be absolutely fine, after all a heart rate of 150 BPM for most is their aerobic threshold (what you should achieve during cardio) and obviously is nothing significant during exercise itself, but feeling one come on out of nowhere is a different thing no doubt.

If you are beginning to worry over your heart, I say don't. You are only 20-21 years old and are not overweight, I'm sure you don't smoke or do drugs and you probably eat pretty healthy.

When and if a panic attack comes about, you need to first understand that it is just a panic attack, don't think anymore of it and I know that is difficult but you can do it. Also, try to bring your breathing back under control which can help lower your heart rate. I had this weird problem of controlling my breathing because it made me feel a little weird and that "weird feeling" made me more anxious, I don't know why, LOL. Kinda stupid if you think about it.

If the medication did bring this on, then you should probably seek out an alternative in my opinion. Also make sure you are getting adequate rest at night, eating well and doing things that are de-stressing in nature. That will help.

Nah, I don't think that was too long...Send me a message if you need to talk about it.

Best regards. :-)

Sorry that is super long
Hey there Kirty,

Best regards. :-)

Hi there thanks again for your advice and response to my question! I tried sending this in a messege by the way but it didnt work =\. its funny because i thought i knew what a panic attack was i thought i had expirianced them before but maybe they were just anxiety attacks? Because they were no where near as scary as this one. The thing that worried me is the feeling lasting for 3 days.. Like you know the scary doom feeling that comes with tightness in the chest and scared you going to die, that kind of lasted on and off for 3 days, so i had this constant feeling like i need to escape and i wanted to die , throughout the days i was on edge but i didnt actually have an attack i just had the sensations? Thats normal?

I feel better now like at one point yesterday my body just went into calm mode and that feeling is gone and i leep thinking like what happened it just went? Lol so weird.. I keep thinking about it but that feeling just isnt arising, so i geuss also what i am asking aswell, do they come about randomly even if u feel like your not stressed? Im sorry it takes a bit of convincing for me as of course im a constant worrier/hyperchondriact lol. I get what ur saying completely just still abit shocked it scared the crap out of me

Thanks so much!

Kirty
Hey Kirty,

I've felt the same sensations as you've described, where you aren't actually panicked, but you feel that certain distant sense of dread or doom that can accompany one, I had it once for a couple of days on and off.

Some say there really isn't a distinction between a "panic" and "anxiety" attack, the terms are used quite interchangeably and frequently. Some anxiety attacks can be mild, and some can be quite intense - I suppose the ones that are called panic attacks are the most severe form of them. And the feeling of needing to escape is pretty normal from what I know, I think it reflects a primitive instinct of ours to run like if we are in real danger.

Can they come out of nowhere? Yes, they can. For people who are chronically worrying, a lot of the anxiety isn't actively brought about, its really an unconcious action. Its a bad habit. The key to recovering is changing your thinking and behavioral patterns.

I understand, and if you're a hypochondriac and had a panic attack, I know it can be a double whammy but please rest assured that they are just that, nothing harmful and no, you won't live with them - just continue pressing foward towards recovery, you'll get there.

You are very welcome,

-Mark ;-)
hi there,

Thanks so much for that, I definatly feel better after reading that, I am actually going to try cbt as i heard it is really affective for changing thinking behaviours and things, so hopefully that will help, I havnt expirianced another panic attack since then, but I sometimes fear it throughout the day and I'll get light headed like i am about to pass out/panic but I feel like now i know where its coming from and what it is so that helps to stop the panic i think. im trying to stay positive and  not restrict myself from doing certain things.

Thanks heaps for your advice, i really do appreciate it =))

Kirty
Its my pleasure to help out, and its good to know that you have an idea of what is causing them, that's a big step in the right direction.

Best,

-Mark
rogelio63 is feeling so normal that h... Comment
1 hr ago
gymdandee commented on How much arsenic is i...
jgrubb75 commented on 5 year old son diagno...