Anxiety Community
Panic attack while sleeping

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Panic attack while sleeping

I have had axiety attacks or atleast what I think is anxiety attacks while sleeping. I wake up out of a sound sleep with my heart racing and feelings of great fear.........is this a panic attack or is it some other type of sleep issue. I have had this happen for years but seems to be happening more often lately, thanks
hey, i do experience those sleep panic attacks too. mine are mostly during the day, however, i hav woken during the night several times so short of breath and heart racing that i was sure i was dying and nearly called for ambulances. i just had to keep telling myself that the feeling will pass, and nothing is going to happen. It is very scary, and then every other night that you go to sleep your scared that its going to happen again. Not a nice feeling. Are you on medication for your anxiety?
i have a question i just woke up but it was soooo hard to get to sleep i kept freaking out in dream its like i knew what was going around and that i was sleeping but it wouldnt let me wake up what do i do i went to sleep with anxiety and i woke up with it too. does any of this sound like sleep panic attacks?

I am not really sure if it is or not, I can tell you that I have had panick attacks for years but really did not know what they were and to be honest I just thought it was part of life and it's daily issues. The only problem is they became worse to the point that it was really affecting my life. I was having attacks almost everyday and finally I saw a doctor and was given some meds. I would suggest seeing someone because in my case they started off small and just kept getting worse and worse.If you are having anxiety in the day and then again at night, I think it is only going to get worse. I am not trying to scare you but I would get it checked out.I wish I could be of more help to you but I really do not want to give you bad advice, because truthfully I am really just in the learning stages of this situation. I will tell you that I was given xanax and it did start helping, but it took about a week to kick in and they had to up the dose to have a affect. It did help me sleep and after catching up on my sleep the attacks were less frequent and less severe, I know I have read terror stories about the xanax drugs here but I am going to make a point to only take it in the proper fashion. Once again I would definitely get checked out by a doctor it can only help you, Hopefully someone reading this can give you better advice than me, thanks Michael.
I experience this as well
I take mediation for anxiety and see a therapist but there are a few things you should try first

NO eating right before bed. digestion seems to spark these nasty anxiety attacks
NO caffeine at all.. if you REALLY need it make it way earlier in the day.
Also try to keep your room cool. When im too warm i seem to have the anxiety attacks as well.

If those do not help you need to see a doctor
Hi, thanks for the advice and you are so right on the caffeine it does increase anxiety attacks.
gymdandee commented on New GMO
13 mins ago
pixielv commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
spider6 commented on 9 months+ off Subs !!...