Anxiety Community
Panic attacks and Panic attacks while pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

I wanted to know if there if anyone out there experiencing panic attack while pregant?  I've had panic attacks for 10 years and since I've gotten pregnant there even worse.  I hate staying by myself for fear I will faint or something will happen nobody will know.  I won't go out of town, no where far just in my comfort zone, and before I wasn't this bad off!!  FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT WHETHER THIS IS ANXIETY- Well you should always check with a doctor to rule out any health problems.  I can tell you a lotf symtoms (symptoms) of anxiety, chest pains, arms feel heavy and your chest, feel like your going to faint, your legs go numb, your heart starts beating faster, you eyesight is blurry and all this from feelling anxious.  I always thought it was my heart which I do have an irregular heartbeat, skipped heartbeats nothing life threatening just very uncomfortable feeling. Which I am on a beta blocker to slow down and keep from having so many skipped beats.  Usually when I start to feel a skipped beat I start to panic and now that I 36 weeks pregnant the pregnancy is causing me to have more even though im on meds.  I've found it very hard to stop my clonazepam I take 1mg becuse at the beginning of my pregnancy I tried going cold turkey and ended up in the ER with heart palpitations, and shaking throughout my whole body the doctor ended up saying the benefits of these outweiged the risk and stress I was putting on the baby!  For you all who think well I wouldn't risk taking that because it can cause birth defects has never truly had a panic attack and keep on having them it's horrible like living in a nightmare.
Hi sophia what your describing is exactly like me i have suffered with anxiety for about 5 years,i am currently 27 weeks pregnant and my anxiety has hit the roof,i cant go out not even food shopping,i have the same symptoms as yours but also head tingling,my attacks seem to last for ages and even when they do pass i still dont feel myself,i spend alot of the time worrying i am having a stroke,the attacks are exausting and i hate living like this x
There are millions of women who suffer from panic attacks while pregnant, and all handle them differently. Some need medication, others do not-- for example, I suffered from bad anxiety while pregnant. I have a horrible phobia of vomiting, and while pregnant I got diagnosed with Hyperemesis--so I spent the entire 9 months vomiting and nauseated 24/7. Because of this I would spend each day freaking out about getting sick, and it was on my mind all the time. The worry would make me feel sicker, which would increase my anxiety which would in turn cause more attacks. They're not fun, and it's scary to have. I myself did not use medication, but that was just me. This doesn't mean mine any less/more severe than others, it was just what worked for me.

You should never, ever stop any medicine cold turkey--especially not when pregnant. Everything is weighed in risks/benefits and you have to consider your own particular circumstance. However, there are other medicines out there and I'm a bit surprised your doctor didn't discuss them with you.
Actually my doctor did discuss this with me but the problem was I was 2 and a half months pregnant by the time I got in to see him and I had a period for those two months and didn't know I was pregnant.  All medicines for anxiety are a class D in pregnancy and there's really not one better than another.  Yes people do handle it differently I agree.
Hi im glad im not the only one but im so sorry you're going through this but you're not alone!  I feel the same way I never quite feel the same after one goes away for the fear of having another one and that's the vicious cycle of these attacks!  I just hope after the baby is born it gets better for the both of us.  
I do to but im scared becuase after having my last daughter i was in such a mess after having her,but i wasnt taking medication then so fingers crossed things will be different,i had such a terrible night last night,i started feeling anxious over nothing really at about 8 o clock so i went to bed at 10 hopeing i would feel better but i felt worse i felt like i couldnt breath,had pressure on left side of my head and when i coughed i thought i was going to choke,i would doze off n then waking up in shock and panic,its horrible i hate living like this
I completely understand I'm having a bad day full of anxiety my heartrate has been 155 today and my body feels so heavy!  Sometimes a good scream or cry is best I just let it out today im by myself most of the time my husband is a teacher and fulltime student getting his master's degree and I stay at home so it can get pretty lonely my two dogs are the only companions I have a lot of the time.  Actually my dad is a clinical psychologist and he tries to help me but nothing has worked so far.  I have been in therapy countless times for this but before I got pregnant the attacks had been dormant for a while and just showed back up.  I have been battling these since I was 21 yrs. old and im 31 now!  Usually when I go to sleep as you were talking about you notice more about you're body and tend to get more anxious when you settle down for the night so I've been told.  Everyone tells me to not concentrate on the illness but to concentrate on recovery!  It makes sense but it's easier said than done that's for sure!  One Dr. told me one day im going to have to make peace with my body and said you have had this for 10 yrs and nothing's ever hapened.  It's a work in progress.  I think we can all help each other im so happy I found a place to get out my frustration and talk to other people going through the same thing as I am.  I'm just afraid im going to have a panic attack during labor!
Im scared of having a panic attack during labour too, im currently seeing a behaviour specialist,i dont really think that its helping though but i am willing to try anything at the moment.my partner is looking for work and im dreading the time he finds a job,i hate it when he goes out.im exausted from it i hope i get a better nights sleep tonight x
Don't feel too guilty.  I am still in my first trimester and have to take ativan almost daily.  My ob said the benefits outweigh the risks in my situation.  My attacks are so bad they always end with me in the er.  I tried coming off after a few weeks but after I weaned off two days later I was in the er with a heart rate of 167... and that stress can harm the baby.  So far my bean is doing great amd everything looks normal I have been in constant therapy for a few years.  Its unlikely I will ever be able to come off completely.  Everyone is different for the women that can manage I am jealous.  I had my first OB call me a baby killer.  That prompted me to find someone who was understanding of my situation.  My anxiety has caused horrific physical issues such as two bleeding ulcers I was hospitalzed for and medication to keep my blood pressure lower.  When I have an attack it shoots up to 160/100 that my OB says can actually lead to placental abruption.  Best of luck to you and your bean.  
Sandman2 commented on Toxic Herbicides in B...
1 hr ago
donold62 ..had a better day today. Comment
donold62 joined this community
Welcome them!