Anxiety Community
Panic attacks in cars

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

Panic attacks in cars

Hi all,

Yesterday I had a terrible anxiety and panic attack. I was in our family car for nearly 30-40 minutes. It was rainy and almost night (5:15 PM). Some time before the event, while still in my home, I was feeling anxiety and palpitations, because I knew I am going to travel with the car. I was extremely nervous at the beginning of the travel, but later I managed to relax. During our way back, there was one more person in the car (unknown to me) and the big traffic made me even more anxious: we were waiting on red light but unable to pass for three red-green changes (!) because the car in front had problems.. Three times! I got extremely nervous, hot waves, hot ears, I was feeling like I was going to die or freak out, explode or something like that... I wanted to get out of the car immediately. The fact that I was going to have a panic attack in front of unknown person next to me was terryfing! I really had it... for several seconds. Hell! Then, when I was in home, my blood pressure was slighly higher for a while - 5-10 above the norm, I was feeling cold and need for extra clothes, trembling, pain in my left hand and difficutly controling it.
I knew it! I usually avoid traveling with cars and buses because they make me feel insecure and can increase my anxiety to the point of panic attack. :(

Anyone that can relate to my problem? :(
Yep!  I suffer from agoraphobia and have experienced the same thing many times before.  It is ALWAYS worse for me when others are in the car - when I am with a close friend or family member I do not have any problems.
I have suffered the lovely panic attack in the car numerous times.  I used to carry a brown paper bag in my car at all times.  I also keep a Xanex with me for those emergencies.  
Still today I feel so much more at ease when someone is in the car with me.  I absolutely refuse to drive a long distance by my self - silly I know.

Carbaholic
Interesting!  Ive seen many people state that they dont like to be  a car alone and are more at ease when someone is in the car with them.  I am the opposite!  No problems when I am in the car alone but being in a car with people can contribute to the PA's.  I guess it all depends on the anxiety disorder.
I am just like you. If I am alone, it is harder to have panic attacks. But when I am not alone in the car or another situation, even when I am only with my family, it is easier to get anxious and have a panic attack. Probably my social anxiety disorder / social phobia is the reason for this. And the longer the distance, the bigger the anxiety. Maybe the fact that I travel with car once in several months contributes to this. I also remember I had a panic attack 5 years ago in the car, just the same feeling, and I had no anxiety disorder by that time.
For me, the feeling of having some "control" really helps.  "If" I had a PA in a car and I am the only one there I can do whatever I want - stop the car, get out for a walk etc.  I feel more restricted when others are in the car because its not as easy to request some of these options that may help me through the situation.
Yes, exactly. Same here. And knowing that fact could contribute to our anxiety.
mishymoshymarcy Its better to be arguing wi... Comment
1 hr ago
mishymoshymarcy commented on mishymoshymarcy's status
1 hr ago
1 hr ago
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms