Anxiety Community
Panic attacks or excitement?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Panic attacks or excitement?

Growing up I was never any good at showing excitement for various reasons. Unfortunately that has led to keeping things inside and now I can't decipher between panic attacks and excitement. For instance, this morning I woke up feeling anxious and I decided it was because I didn't sleep well. It's only 11am now and I've already had some pretty big panic attacks (which I haven't had in a very long time). I was grabbing some hot chocolate at work and thinking about the rest of the day and evening (it's my birthday and I'm going out to celebrate with some friends). I treated myself to a new bed for my birthday and that's being delivered tomorrow. All in all it's a pretty wicked day.

Does anyone else have the problem distinguishing excitement from anxiety which leads to panic attacks? lol I feel pretty damn pathetic actually. Angry, frustrated even more. I took .5 Ativan and that's helped. I just wish I knew how to change the behaviour.
In a very short response to your main question... YES, sometimes I find myself thinking "this can't be anxiety because it is a GOOD thing that is happening!"

It is a horrible way to go thru life always being anxious and not being able to live in the excitement of the moment.

Oh and happy birthday!!  I hope you can find some excitement without the panic!

love & blessings...  ~V
How do you handle situations like this? It would be nice to feel excitement and not anxiety over an event :(
If I knew the answer to that, I would be panic free.
I just sometimes have to tell myself to calm down because if it is a full blown panic attack it will (as usual) ruin my whole day.
Kinda ***** becuase you do miss out on things...like feelings.  
Wish someone else would respond for you becsuse I must seem like a downer to you..I am just telling you my experience.
*laugh* you are not a downer to me.

I was trying to explain to someone the other day about my interactions with anxiety and my life. This person has no experience with it. I gave an example of my best friend and what I ended up telling her. There was a time when I played turtle and stayed in my safe zone, which really took a toll on our friendship as she is outgoing, energetic etc. She got tired of trying to coax me out and do things and I ended up getting a frustrated rant. By the time she finished I said to her "There is nothing you can say to me that I haven't said to myself; However, I've said it 10x more worse and beat myself up over it more." It sort of put it in perspective for her. I guess she thought I haven't tried or thought about things. lol

Like now, I've beat myself up over having the attack as I have been attack free for so long. We definitely are our own worst enemy. *sigh*
Irisbritney My niece has been having di... Comment
44 mins ago
Jade59 commented on clean_in_ks's status
Dalubaba commented on photo