Anxiety Community
Paxil and Zoloft for Anxiety and Panic Attacks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

I have been taking Paxil for 10 years. At first I started taking it because I had anxiety problems while eating. As soon as I started paxil these problems went away for the most part in a few weeks. A couple years later I started having panic attacks. I recently began seeing a psychiatrist who increased my dosage gradually from 20mg to 60mg. I really haven't noticed any difference though at all when going from 20mg to 60mg of paxil. He also prescribed 1mg of Ativan, which I only take when needed (about twice a week). I was either going to ask him to decrease the dose of Paxil or try a different medicine.  One therapist told me that after a few years your body chemistry changes and a medicine such as Paxil may no longer be effective. I just don't see the point in taking 60mg when 20mg seemed to do the same thing. Neither really helps with the panic attacks though. The Ativan does help with that, but I don't like to take it too often because it makes me tired. Do you think asking my doctor to switch to Zoloft or another medicine would be a wise choice? Also, could you recommend a good alternative to Paxil that would work well for Anxiety and Panic attacks. I don't have problems with depression.

Thanks,
Rich
That's a whole lot of Paxil!  It seems the Paxil doesn't work, so you have to do something.  Just be aware that Paxil can be very hard to discontinue, so make sure before you do your psychiatrist knows about withdrawal and how to deal with it.  And educate yourself on slow tapering.  That being said, if it's not working, then you do have to try something else.  
Ok thanks for the advice Paxiled. I have an appointment in a couple days so I will talk with him about it then.
Paxil did not work for me either. My doctor then switched me to Welbutrin, which worked, but stopped working pretty quick. I have been on Zoloft for the last 3 years and wish they would have put me on it a long time ago. It has been the most effective for me.
What type of problems do you have that Zoloft has helped you with Crystal? My main troubles are anxiety/panic attacks. I've heard Zoloft works well for depression but I was wondering if also works well for anxiety.

I take paxil 25 cr now and it is working pretty good. My doc upped me to 37.5 and I noticed no difference either so went back down to 25 without a problem. I think as long as you are taking paxil going down on dose is not an issue, it's if you go off all at once but my son who is 14 and has just developed panic attacks was put on zoloft 50 mgs and it has helped him. I took zoloft first but gave me gastro problems so doc wanted me to switch. Zoloft seems to work  very similar to paxil at least it did for me.
Hi Rich,
I have a Panic/Anxiety Disorder and Depression. The Zoloft worked for both disorders, but seemed to have worked best for the Anxiety attacks. I didn't have an Anxiety attack for almost 3 straight years on it. Only time I would have an attack is if something REALLY happened, that earned an attack. I started on 100mgs once per day and 3 1/2 years later I still take the same dose. Not bad eh?

Hope you find what works for you very soon!!
when do u usually have panic attacks? i have them bad with driving or riding in a car. i was weaning of zoloft and switched to Toprol for my fast heart rate but i may need to go back on something else.
Im on paxil 10mg and think i should increase my dosage, it helps but i think i need a little more... My concern is having less of a sex life than i do from being on the 10mg, weight gain because i am a skinny girl and always have been, and being even more tired... Anyone have any feedback?
Amandag78 commented on nonights's status
10 mins ago
cctailor commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
1 hr ago
travel_melb Coming up to the 3 month ma... Comment