Anxiety Community
Propranolol weight gain/loss/exercising

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Propranolol weight gain/loss/exercising

So i was recently given propranolol 4x10mg daily for anxiety and was wondering if i would experience weight gain on such a low dose?

I would also like to lose weight, but with me not being able to get my heart in target zone, im wondering will i find it hard to lose weight?

Also how safe is exercising/weight lifting on this medication. Feels really weird that my heart does not pound when running!
Hi,i think u should ask the question to ur doctor,he/she would be the best person to give you advice on this meds,regarding that u feel weird that ur heart dosent pound when running is because its like a beta blocker it makes your heart work less harder therefore lowering the heart rate and thats why you hardly feel it pounding like when you dont take any meds.
Hiya well i take 40mg x 2 daily and well 40mg a day isn't too low a dose actually, that is the standard dose for anxiety sufferers, a low dose would be 10mg/20mg.  As for weight gain that is a side effect of propranalol cause it slows the metabolism but from what you have said you seem a very active person so as long as you continue to watch what your eating and exercise you should be ok.  I have been on 80mg now for the last 6 months, i hardly do any exercise, only housework related, and eat a fair chunk of food per day and am agoraphobic so i don't go for long walks for anything and i have put on roughly 14lbs.  Now, everyone reacts differently to the same drug but i guess you could take some comfort in the fact that i personally dont think your suddenly gona ballon into marshmellow pep.
As for the non-pounding heart, this is exactly what is supposed to happen, it stops your heart from pounding and causing the physcial symptoms of anxiety and because alot of the symptoms of vigerous exercise cause the same feelings you will experience with anxiety it is only natural while running you wont feel your heart pound in the same way.
Don't worry it's normal on this medication.
ive been taking propranolol for just under a year now  40mg x 3 daily
and at first i was also worried about gaining weight,because at the time i was obese to start with and felt i didnt want to pile more weight on,but to be honnest if anything this tablet in under a year as infact help me lose a few lbs
this medication along side with citalopram as calmed my panic/anxiety right down and has made me feel more possitive about things,when i felt run down my habbit was to over eat, and this made me feel better for abit but taking this medication  i dont feel i need to over eat to make me feel better.
these two medication for me as had a possitive inpact on my life,im happy now  and the weight seems to be slowly coming off without even trying
remar commented on  Things Killing Your ...
11 mins ago
ash009 happy sunday.. Comment
15 mins ago
Nighthawk61 commented on Embarrassing, but i n...
41 mins ago