Anxiety Community
Pros and Cons for Prozac???

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Pros and Cons for Prozac???

The psychiatrist weaned me off of cymbalta back in March and April while introducing with notriptyline stepping up to 75mg. I have been on the full 75mg since the end of April. I went today for my scheduled appointment and let him know that I didn't think it was helping. He had stated something about getting me back on cymbalta with something called deplin as a supplement. I told him that I would rather not get back on cymbalta due to the awful side effects that the weaning had. Now with all that said, he has sent me home with a prescription for prozac. Can anyone give me the good, bad, and ugly???
Prozac tends to be better for depression than for anxiety, but then, so is Cymbalta, since both are also stimulating (Cymbalta much more so).  On the other hand, if Prozac works, it's probably the least troublesome of all these meds.  Cymbalta is liver toxic for many and one of the hardest to get off of, while Prozac is one of the easiest to come off of since it stays in the body for a lot longer time and therefore the withdrawal is, for most people, slower and easier.  Why not give it a try?  It's the only way to find out, really, since we all react differently.  Best thing yet is if you can get therapy to work, since all these meds will have their set of problems, especially when taken long term.  If you need them, you need them, but if you can get well without them, better still.
So what about this Deplin? It sure was expensive.
Day 5 of Prozac and I woke up extremely depressed this morning. What should I do?
With only 5 days is, it's way too early to make any judgement calls.  As you probably already know, Prozac can take up to 4-6 weeks before noticing improvements.

Sometimes, with these kinds of meds, we have to feel a little worse before we feel better.

My advice to you is to give this a shot.  It's hard I know, but try to remain as patient as possible during the adjustment phase.  The busier you keep yourself, the more distracted you eill be, and less likely to keep overthinking how you feel.

Hang in there...keep us updated for sure!
I won't back off. At least, at the moment, my anxiety is a little lower. I have been sick with sinuses and had to endure a 2 hour family reunion yesterday, and up until 20 minutes ago I was really worried about going to jury duty this afternoon, however, my boss gave me an excuse and they took it.
Jade59 commented on Jade59's status
gymdandee commented on Make A Shake That Wil...
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms