Anxiety Community
Prozac and anxiety

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Prozac and anxiety

I have been taking 20mgs of Prozac for almost 4 weeks now and although I think I am a little calmer over all (don't have the racing thoughts) I have much more anxiety in the morning when I first wake up.  As the day goes along I tend to calm down a bit and am much better by the evening.  I take my Prozac every day around 9 or 10 am
My question is why do you think that I am having the early morning anxiety? I know that it can be a very activating drug.  

Thank you
For some reason, I always seem to need to qualify myself.  I am a 34 year old woman who has dealt with depression and anxiety since I was 16 years old.  9 years ago I found a great psychiatrist who listens and understands my concerns.  I would make an appointment with your doctor to go over what you are experiencing.  Do you drink caffeine or coffee in the morning?  Sometime stimulants like caffeine will cause one to be anxious in general.  I have had to limit my caffeine intake or I have a bad attack.  Sometimes,, the first medication you try is not the right one.  That is why they call it Medical Practice...:o)

Don't give up hope, at some point you will have balance.  Try looking into some free thought meditation, where you don't clear your mind, but let the thoughts simply pass through your head without attaching to them.  This can be relaxing and calm your nerves.  And remember, you have support here!

Blessed be the cracked for they let in the light!
The Otter One (Alyssa)  
Thanks for your reply.

I have cut out coffee and try to avoid caffeine.  The anxiety happens just as I'm waking up and lasts for about an hour then subsides during the day.  I think part of it is because of the Prozac is very stimulating for me.  This is my second time around on it.  I was on it about 15years ago and it worked really well for me.  Trying to remember if it caused morning anxiety though?

I'm hoping that it's just my body still adjusting to the med. I've been on it for almost a  month now and I have noticed a little relief from my racing thoughts.  Prozac takes soooo long to work!    I'm also in CBT to help find the underlying reason for my anixety/depression.  The therapist is also giving me some different ways to cope with the morning anxiety.
Thanks again:)
Oh, and I do have an upcoming doctors appointment.
Good.  I am big on communicating with your medical professionals.  Look into the meditation.  It may be a good thing to do right after you get up.  At least you have an idea of when it happens and how long it lasts! :)

Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light!
The Otter One (Alyssa)
I think I know what has caused my anxiety. In july of 08 I went to the er because randomly my knee was so swollen. They tried telling me it was bursitis and sent me home. Next day at work my whole leg swelled up and I went straight to the ER. They took tests and saw I had a staph infection in my knee. In the ER they put IVS in me. One they made go into me to fast that my whole Head started to go numb, but the doctors shut off the machine and within a couple minutes I was okay. They told me I could not go home and I had to be admitted to the hospital. I was so scared, I cried all night because I just wanted to be home. ( I was never really a fan of hospitals) I learned to adjust to the waking up at 5am and getting IV's throughout the day. But honestly, it has left me scarred, any little thing messed up on my body now im very cautious. I think this is what could have started my anxiety. Now a month ago, I was told I had a 2 1/2 by 2 1/2 inch ovarian cyst...Which I was in pain for a LONG month. Im actually starting to feel better, but for some reason I don't know why but I have been so moody. I have been just crying for no reason. Like yesterday I went outside to eat with my family and realized I was not hungry so I went to my room and just cried. I have also been working a lot so I have not seen my Boyfriend in a couple days, and I feel so needy, constantly begging for him.. He is very helpful and supportive to me. I have given myself abdominal pains from this, and my chest feels very tight. However; I have not been diagnosed with anxiety yet. Im going to go to the doctors today to see what they can do for me. Somebody please help me and give me some advice. Do I have to take medicine for my whole life for this? Or will the anxiety go away after one round of treatment? I just want to cry. A month ago I was a care free living person. Now I worry, I am afraid of dying, I cry and cry alot, I Constantly keep wishing for the old me back, but I don't know how to get back to that. I don't want to sound crazy, and im afraid my doctor will think Im crazy. Please someone calm me down? I haven't really had panic attacks or anything, however; I did go to the er twice because of my ovarian pain which now looking back I think I might have over exxagerated the pain because of being scared of what was going on with my body. Anyone who can answer any of my questions, please do I would greatly appreciate it
Jade59 commented on photo
Jade59 commented on photo
10356 commented on onthefence's status