Anxiety Community
Psychologist or Psychiatrist?

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

Psychologist or Psychiatrist?

I have been suffering from severe panic attacks for the last 4 weeks..due in part to having an Atrial Fibrillation Attack and now dealing with the possibility of it happening again. I started seeing a Psychologist two weeks ago. So far..I was told to get the book "Feeling Good" David Burns and I was taught a relaxation method. I feel like I really could benefit in taking a medicine to control the panic attacks until I have had more time in therapy. The therapist says that it would be better if I try and hold on and not take meds. The only thing is..the attacks are becoming so frequent that it feels like it is consuming me!  I know that a pill will not cure anything but I am not sure that I can wait for several more weeks!  I wonder..since this therapist is not a psychiatrist, maybe this would mean (to her) that I need to go to someone different, therefore she looses the $.? Any thoughts?...
In fact, if you do go elsewhere, then, so do your dollars. But this is about you -not the psychiatric cases who try to heal us.

So, the psychiatrist can do BOTH the meds AND the therapy -a good thing. The psychologist can do the therapy -but not the meds.

Take the shrink.

And soon.
I think you answered your own question. If seeing a psychiatrist would make you feel better than go,go,go.  They do have the authority to prescribe medications. And then maybe once your getting on track you can see a psycholigst for the talk therapy. Some of us, well alot of us has had to have the help of medications along with the therapy. Nothing at all wrong with that.

Let us know what you decide.
Seeing a psychiatrist or psychologist is totally up to you.  As JS says, a psychiatrist has the authority to prescribe meds.  I personally found a psychologist that worked for me.  He ended up consulting with other medical doctors and my GP, so I could get on the right meds as well. I was originally VERY against medications, but in my experience they are a great tool that can help you along the way to understanding your condition.  They do not fix anything, but combined with counseling, are very effective.  
slowdive88 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
1 hr ago
Sugar Craving
3 hrs ago by gymdandee
Meganann123 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms