Anxiety Community
QUESTION OF THE MONTH (March '13): AWARENESS

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

IF THERE WERE JUST ONE THING YOU WOULD WANT PEOPLE TO BE AWARE OF ABOUT ANXIETY OR PANIC DISORDER WHAT WOULD IT BE?
We know it might be hard to narrow it to one thing, but give it a try. No thought is too big or too small to share here.

Our Monthly Question focuses on a specific topic. There are no right or wrong answers -we just want to hear about your experiences, whether you are a veteran of this forum or you are new and have been lurking, waiting for the inspiration to share your thoughts.

Please let us know if you have a question YOU would like pondered some month.

Your community leaders
cj
nursegirl
I would want them to be aware of how internal anxiety can be.  How many people with anxiety disorders can walk around with a smile on their face and look 100% healthy yet can be suffering so much on the inside. So many people I know do not take anxiety seriously because they see me as looking very healthy- yet I suffer so much on the inside and it's that internal pain and torture that people without anxiety disorders don't seem to understand or take seriously.  
There are almost TOO many aspects of these disorders to chose just one!

I'll start by saying I'd really appreciate it if people would PLEASE stop saying to me..........."Just stop acting so nervous and relax."

I want them to know I don't control this disorder, that what happens to me during an attack is light years beyond simple "nervousness."

There is so much more I WANT them to understand, but I think what I NEED them to understand more than anything is that I have a mental illness, and you can't just "relax" that away.

Would that we could, eh?
I would want people to be aware that anxiety sufferers are not alone.  Whilst we all feel like we are dying and very unwell there is always someone worse off than us.  Share your experiences and remember that we all have different ways of coping...
Great question Greenlydia! It really is very hard to give just one answer. I agree with everything posted here. I would like to add that I wish some people did not think we were weak. Just the opposite many times. We have to be very strong to be able to deal with anxiety and everything that goes along with it.
Just a quick "off topic" point I'd really like to make. More than likely, people will be asked to chose a "Best Answer" on this thread. This is not a contest and there is no BEST ANSWER. These are our own, personal thoughts that we are sharing............ALL OF THEM ARE THE BEST!
GL
I think they're all the best answers too Greenlydia. Thanks for posting this because it's interesting to see what people with anxiety would like for others to understand about it.
.
I want people to understand that even though they may not understand anxiety or how to help us or how to live with us we are people who cannot do this alone and it requires their help and even if it may strain a relationship or friendship please continue to support us even if all you can do is listen. Sometimes doctors and therapists can't even understand and they have degrees so I want people to know that even with meds and therapy our minds have been broken in some cases and we need supportive people in our lives to help us recover and it's a long road at times and we may need a cheering squad even if it's just one person and with the much needed support we will be able to be better people to all of those who care and love us and we can move forward.
.
Good topic, I'm anxious to see the replies!

Only YOU would be asked to pick a best answer, it's only the person who pens the thread, and I agree, something like this can't really have a BA, as it's a question looking for input.
Hi Everyone,

Yes, to confirm how the Best Answer works, the original poster will receive an e-mail, asking him/her to choose a "Best Answer" to their question.  But we agree, given this is the Question of the Month every answer is a wonderful reply and we appreciate all the thoughts your anxiety community shares on this thread.

If anyone has any questions about our Best Answer program or any questions, always feel free to send a message to me at MH Community Mgr

Thanks for your participation in this thread!

Cheryl
MH Community Mgr
Don't get it.
Sorry, folks -- been pointed out to me it sounds like I don't get the point.  I was actually trying to be slightly humorous and saying the best thing I can offer is to not get the disorder in the first place.
I wish I could control whether or not I or anyone else "got" the disorder.

I would want people to know that we're not crazy! There's a stigma with mental illness I think. It's that "OH, you take THAT medicine?" or "You have a MENTAL illness?" ... a lot of people suffer. I am constantly frustrated for being denied insurance coverage and benefits for my anxiety.
I've also been surprised by how many people I run into that are on medication for anxiety - ESPECIALLY in my age group. It seems almost everyone that I know around my age suffers.
LOL, Paxiled.  I thought you didn't "get" the point of the thread, I was scratching my head.

And boy do I agree..."don't get it".  Simple enough...now to figure that out.  :0)
that when we are panicky we are not on Speed!
Sorry, bud. I also thought you didn't get what we were all talking about. But now when I read your response, I laugh out loud.

What a perfect answer!
When you forget the past, you forge...
12 mins ago by jezibel
jezibel is feeling silly. Comment
28 mins ago
jezibel commented on teddybears4ever2's status
32 mins ago
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms