Anxiety Community
Question about hole in skin?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Question about hole in skin?

Ok, so I woke up last Monday and noticed a little red hole/mark on my thumb. I didn't notice it from the day before, and I am wondering what this could be?

My brother is HIV positive and slept in the bedroom across from me. He is kind of mentally ill, and I'm afraid if he took a needle and tried to inject me.

The hole, which was red, lasted about 5 or so days before almost disappearing.

What could have caused this?

If someone tried to inject me while I was sleeping, would it wake me up? Or would I just continue sleeping?
Thinking your brother purposely poked you with a needle is irrational thinking.  Not to mention, you really couldn't get infected that way anyway.  Are you diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, perhaps OCD?  I would recommend seeking out professional help.
I know it's irrational, but I still can't shake the fears I'm having. I wonder if I should get tested? That would definitely put my mind at ease. I just didn't know where a red hole in my thumb could possibly come from? I have eczema, but I don't think that had anything to do with it. I'm just worried because I really don't trust my brother, and I don't know if he would be the type of person to do something like this.

It is surely strange that I didn't have this hole in my skin on my thumb one day, and then another day, I just notice it in the morning.
You couldn't get HIV that way, even if he DID poke you with a needle.  A tiny red dot isn't a sufficient enough break in the skin to allow for transmission.  If you feel a test will ease your mind, then do so, but then believe your results and put it behind you.
Yes I signed up for an HIV RNA test online and will go get blood drawn tomorrow. I just don't trust my brother and he is mentally ill so I don't know what to expect. But I will definitely trust the test if it comes back negative, I heard the HIV RNA test is one of the most accurate for early detection, and it has been 16 days since the possible "exposure."

While I don't think I would get HIV if my brother merely poked me with a needle, I could get it if he *injected* me with blood drawn from one of his veins.

While I personally think the thumb is an unlikely place to inject someone with HIV+ blood, you never can tell with my brother.

If you think your brother is capable of something like that, maybe he shouldn't be living with you?  Not because of the HIV factor, but just generally speaking?

Good luck, I'm sure your test will be negative.
gyspy09 listening to death metal.. ... Comment
Kermit the Hermit The most difficult phase of... Comment
melimeli "DH" is trippin again.. uff... Comment