Anxiety Community
Question for anxiety sufferers about dentist

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

Hi Everyone!  I was diagnosed a few months ago with anxiety brought on by menopause. I cannot take any medications for anxiety as I am highly allergic to them (we found out the hard way). My question to you all is about going to the dentist and having the numbing medicine. I have always had problems with my teeth and have had the numbing medication often. I know it is an adrenalin based medicine. When I went to the dentist yesterday to have a tooth pulled (first time to dentist since being diagnosed) I had seemingly more reaction to the numbing medication. I kept myself calm and told myself that what I was feeling was the medication.  I got through the procedure, sat up and was talking to the dentist when I felt so dizzy I though I would pass out. I had to lay down in their office for over 30 minutes. I got extremely cold and felt very light headed for the rest of the day. Has anyone had any problems with dental medications? Do you think I reacted more than normal because I was trying to not be anxious? Anxiety is so new to me I am just still trying to figure it all out and would appreciate any insight or any experiences you all may have had. I no longer see a counselor as she told me I had learned to control my anxiety well enough without her and I know I just have to live with it. Understanding other people's reactions sure does help.
God Bless and thanks in advance for your answers or experiences.
I can't take Meds for anxiety either. When I have to be numbed I ask them to be sure there's no epinephrine in it as I have severe reactions to it. U might discuss that option with your dentist. I am guessing that's where your symptoms came from
Thanks Beema! I never used to have problems with the adrenalin, only since having this anxiety has that happened. I was wondering if the anxiety was causing the problems with the adrenalin now. Did you always have problems with the adrenalin or only after your anxiety?

Thanks!
Andesu
I.didn't always have problems with the adrenaline. Years ago went to dentist and for.first time ever had severe reaction to numbing med. Since that time can't have anything that has epinepherine in it. I just know it makes anxiety worse and it doesnt have to be used by dentist.
Nighthawk61 commented on oral presentation
6 mins ago
Iceness added the Crohn's/Ulcerative Colitis Tra...
57 mins ago
Iceness added the Anxiety/Panic Tracker
58 mins ago
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms