Anxiety Community
Question on my meds...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Question on my meds...

I take 20 mg lexapro daily plus 20 mg of valium in the morning...if i take a higher dose of lexapro could i cut down on the valium dosage?
Unfortunately, 20 mg is the highest dose that there is of Lexapro.  
Kick...That's actually incorrect.  When I was on Lexapro, my dose was 40mg/daily.

Pamela...talk with your doctor.  Most definitely, if you increased your Lexapro dose, you may not need as much Valium.  That's an excellent goal to shoot for, too, by the way.

Definitely ask your doctor if you could try increasing the Lexapro.  Good luck hon...let us know how it's going!
Did you take two pills?  I've read other people taking 40 mg, but every doctor I've ever spoken with, and per the maker of Lexapro, 20 mg is the highest dose.  My doctor told me that there is virtually no difference in effectiveness between 10 & 20 mg, per the New England Journal of Medicine, and this is also listed in the information provided by the drug company.

http://www.frx.com/pi/Lexapro_pi.pdf
Also, if you did take 40 mg, did it help you more than 20 mg?  I've run into a situation where mine doesn't work anymore, but if there is a possibility of increasing it and it actually being more effective, I'd love to try it.  
Yes, I took two pills.  The highest dose available per PILL is 20 mg, but that isn't the same as the max recommended daily dose.  I didn't want the OP thinking she couldn't take a higher dose.  That's how I took your reply.

I started out at 10 mg, and over the course of the few years I was on it...I had a few dosage increases, until I got to 40mg.  Yes, each time I bumped my dose up, I felt better. Just keep in mind that if you DO go up in your dose, you have to give it time, just like you did in the beginning.  With dose increases, it typically doesn't take the 4-6 weeks we see in the initial adjustment...but it can take a few weeks.

Definitely talk with your doc if you dont think the 20mg is cutting it.  Most likely, he would bump you up to 25mg or 30mg.  The highest I've ever seen anyone take in a daily dose is 60mg.  It's well worth it to try a higher dose.  Just like most meds, the efficacy will diminish over time.  Even meds for hypertension and other physical maladies are the same.

Good luck hon!
Awesome, I will have to ask about this!  Thanks for the info.
Dalubaba commented on photo
1 min ago
travel_melb 6 weeks and going strong, m... Comment
Missy1231984 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...