Anxiety Community
Rapid weight loss

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Rapid weight loss

I was just recently put on a low dose of buspar (7.5mg twice a day, about 10 days ago).  I've been having the typical side effects of dizziness, nausea, poor balance, but not to the extent that I feel the side effects outweigh the benefits.  One thing I have noticed is a sudden rapid weight loss.  About one pound a day for the last week.  My diet and exercise routine is the same, as is all my other meds including Effexor of which I take 150mg each morning.  This seems odd as the doctor warned me that I might GAIN weight with buspar.  Has anyone else noticed any weight loss with their meds?  If it is the buspar, what are some things I could do to keep the weight under control?  I do need to lose about  20 lbs, but I'd rather do it in a healthy way and keep it off whether on meds or not.
Most SSRI's can cause weight gain OR weight loss - the latter is much less common so most people don't know about that effect.  I took Zoloft for a few months last year and lost weight on that, too.

Too keep the weight loss under control you can either exercise less or eat more - I suggest eating more since exercise is important.  Because your weight loss is quite extreme, I would certainly mention this to your doctor.
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms