Anxiety Community
Recovering from a chronic illness

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

Recovering from a chronic illness

I am slowly recovering from a particularly nasty virus that I contracted in spring 2010. The virus completely changed my life - I went from being an active, sporty, woman in her twenties, to being bed ridden for months and working part time. The virus attacked my heart, thyroid, muscles and joints, and only in spring 2011 was I able to start working full time again. Although I am doing better, I still have a few residual symptoms as my body recovers from all the damage that was done. I still see my Internist every 2/3 months and at my last appointment we discussed weaning my pain medication with the hope of being off them by the end of the year.

I am geniunly happy that I am doing a little better each day, but the idea of being 'discharged' from my Internists care really worries me. I have had so much intense testing and medical care over the last couple of years that I can't imagine going forward without it. I have built a very trusting relationship with my internist and I don't know how I would have got through this without him, but I understand he is a specialist and not a general practitioner/family doctor. Is it normal to feel like this after going through an illness such as this?

I do have some residual symptoms that I battling and if I bring this up with my doctors I am worried they won't take me seriously anymore and will think I am making it up in order to continue getting 'looked after'. Or could my worrying about this actually be hindering my complete recovery? I had a pshyc evaluation several months ago to see whether being chronically ill had affected my mental health and I was given the all clear.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Kudos to you for getting thru all of this without anxiety or depression....you've endured a lot!  Your internists would not discharge you from his care if he didn't feel you were ready, and you have to accept that you are.  Know that your internist is just a phone call away if ever you feel your GP doesn't understand.  Your internists will send your records to your GP (make sure this happens) so that he/she will know what all has been going on.  It's normal to feel a little nervous leaving your "safety net" but it's time. You've come too far to be hindered with worry, you have a lot of living to do.  Keep moving forward knowing that your internists can still help you if need be. Hope this helps and best wishes.
Meganann123 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
newyorklover001 joined this community
Welcome them!
Health Insurance Companies Seek Big...
16 hrs ago by gymdandee
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms