Anxiety Community
Ryan- klonopin and xanax question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Ryan- klonopin and xanax question

Ryan- if you take klonopin .50 mg bid, is it okay to take xanax if you're having a panic attack or about to undertake something that causes panic for you?  I don't mean on a regular basis, just the once in a blue moon thing.  How much can you take?
What do you mean "if done correctly" with the klonopin under your tongue.  Is there a wrong way?
Is it ok to take a .25 or .5 mg xanax shortly after a .25 Klonopin dose? I'm leaving this saturday on a 5-hour car trip - and being in a car lately, even as a passenger, can trigger a long-lasting panic attack. My afternoon dose of Klonopin is at 3-3:15 . We're leaving at around 4 or 4:30 p.m., so if I begin to feel uncomfortable at 5 or 6, can I take .25 or .5 xanax so soon after that dose? I mean, hopefully I won't even need it, but just in case. Thanks very much,
Anne
I put the klonopin on my tongue.
I didn't see in the documents from the pharmacy to put "under the tongue.'
glad I read the forum early today.
I feel stupid for not knowing how to take it, but glad you all are here.
thank you.
I know exactly what you mean about being in a car, even as a passenger.  I admire your courage going on a five hour road trip.  Good for you.  I wish you the best and hope all goes well.
wow i never put it on my tongue or under i just swallow it .what is the difference
I do well in the car when I am alone, but as a passenger I dont' do well...lots of anxiety.
That's interesting, axtywr, because I also seem to do better by myself, as opposed to when I'm a passenger or driving with others in the car. Go figure. Ccamrine, thanks for your well wishes. I am hoping that since I've taken this drive several times in the past, I'll do ok with it now. My symptoms are different now, though - used to be just short (10 second) panic attacks that were manageable. Now it's anxiety that grows over the course of several hours. When I was coming home from NJ in January (I live south of DC), the anxiety/panic lasted 2-1/2 hours and finally I asked my husband to take me to the hospital, because I felt like I would pass out. Terrible. My plan is to bring lots of things to distract myself on this trip. Books, maybe (though I sometimes get car sick reading), some relaxation exercises I just learned, and some of my favorite music. My 4-year old might trigger some anxiety, though, because she's constantly saying "mommy, look at me," and "mommy, what's that," and "mommy, why is this?" It's stressful because it never lets up. One time, coming back from the zoo in DC (an hour ride to our house), I had to ask her to stop asking me questions! I said "don't ask mommy anything else for 5 minutes." She didn't skip a beat and said, "ok, daddy, why does ...."It was hilarious. What's even more strange about this is, she communicated via sign language for over a year (until she was 2-1/2) because she wouldn't talk! And now, we can't get her to stop. :-)
I'll let you know how it goes, once I get back on August 11. Send positive vibes my way!
ANne
Something that I read in the "Anxiety and Phobia Workbook" by Edmund J. Bourne, PhD (which is excellent, by the way, you should get it if you don't already have it) is to do things that take total concentration.  I do bookwork  and taxwork for my husband's business, so sometimes I take the books and a calculator and do my work.  It really helps alot.  You could do crossword puzzles or word-find.  I know what you mean about not wanting to be talked to or distracted, I'm like that too.  I don't drive anymore.  It just got to be too much for me.  The last time I drove I had a panic attack approaching an intersection and just could not cross it, I had to pull over in the turn lane and made everybody go around me, it was so humiliating.  Finally I got a policman's attention and he came up behind me and came to the door and asked if I was having car problems and I just said "It's embarrassing, but I had a panic attack and couldn't get through the intersection" and he just acted like 'Oh, big deal, what can I do to help you?'  He actually stopped traffic in all directions so I could get across the street.  I was so shook up I had to call somebody to pick me up, I couldn't drive my car home.
I do have the wafers...so just put them on top of my tongue as I was.
The informative papers that are in with the box of medication didn't specify.
The dosage is a .25 wafer in the morning and one in the evening.  I take the 2nd one before bed as it helps me sleep.
You are right about panic disorder...it is a b!tch...I still have the xanax on hand in case of a major episode, but not to take on any sort of regular basis with now being on klonopin.
OMG.  I know what you mean about being stuck in traffic.  That is so panic inducing.  I was a passenger in a car when we got stuck in heavy traffic and it took forever to get to the traffic light, in the left turn lane.  Well, the light turned red before we got to it and we had to wait another entire cycle.  I had the worst panic attack.  I wanted to jump out of the car and run.  I was trying to distract myself by looking in my purse, whatever.  I finally got my cell phone and called my husband with very shaky hands, don't know how I dialed the right number, and asked him a stupid random question.  The people I was with didn't even know I was having a panic attack.  Anyway, Ryan, I find that very ironic that you drag race given your driving issues.  Go figure.  I'm glad, though, that you have been able to drive again, normally, with the help of klonopin.  I hope someday to begin driving again.  Right now I'm just trying to be a normal passenger in a car.  It's a ***** having panic disorder
joihn joined this community
Welcome them!
TinaR10 commented on Moma_Cher's status
pixielv commented on Tramadol & Ultram...