Anxiety Community
Ryan7591 : Clonazepam plasma levels

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

Ryan7591 : Clonazepam plasma levels

Ive been taking .25 mg qid of clonazepam for 9 months.  i still feel anxiety and panic feelings.  would taking .5 mg tid increase the levels in my plasma?  i realize that 1.5 mg a day is more than 1 mg, but have heard ryan say that the more times a day you take it the more it increases in your plasma.  so .25 mg a day will result in higher concentrations than 1 mg once a day.  so what would have higher concentration of plasma levels, .25 qid or .5 tid?
Avatar n tn
thanks for that info.  on a side note, if i wanted to stay on a total of 1mg a day, if i stopped taking .25 qid and instead took .5 bid, would this change in plasma levels increase the risk of tolerance developing.  i know you say tolerance isnt an issue bc constatn plasma levels are maintained.  so i dont want my plasma levels to flucuate if this is a problem.  if it isnt a problem, how often can i make a change?  or do i need to stay the same for a long time.  i DONT want to do anything that will cause tolerance.  i think im going to take .5 bid because i have a hard time taking a pill qid.  also i am now taking brand name klonopin instead of teva and can tell its more powerful.  .5 mg of klonopin is noticeably stronger than .5 of teva clonazapam.  so i am hoping that the .5 bid is just as good or better than the weaker teva at .25 qid.  i greatly appreciate your knowledge and willingness to help others.
Hi Ryan.  I have read many of your posts on here and am so grateful how you are so helpful.  I have a question about this post:  I take Klonopin .5 3 times a day.  I also take 60 mg. of Celexa.  I have been experiencing severe anxiety so my doc added 100 mg of Wellbutrin.  It has been a week since the Wellbutrin and I seem to be seeing a small positive change.  However, my question is about the Klonopin.  It has always worked well for me.  I have been on it for a few years.  I am wondering what is meant by the plasma levels, but most importantly, about the tolerance.  I am diagnosed clinical depressive ( since age 9) and about a year and a half ago, diagnosed GAD, after major surgery.  I am so afraid of developing a tolerance to the Klonopin,i.e. it not working any more.  Feedback?  Thanks so much.  Sue
You can reach tolerance with klonopin--it happens to a lot of people. To say you cannot reach tolerance with klonopin is untrue. Eventually, you will. The withdrawals can be horrible. Everyone's body is different. You are on low doses--stay there! Look up the word benzodiazepine and research it. Find out what's involved with tapering off when need be. It takes a while even on low dose klonopin to withdrawal but if done properly you will be fine. Don't updose! Wikipedia is very informative about benzodiazepine drugs.

Advise from a neurologist at John Hopkins Hospital for anxiety is CBT.

Best to you,

abby
I know many people that report great complications with Klonopin after withdrawaling-- yourself included. Unless there are two Ryans on this site, (If so I truly apolozize). The binding capacity of Klonopin is believed to be the very reason for this problem. This has not been proven in a lab, but sometimes experience is the best teacher, as it has been proven that the pharmas fudge their stats--and the FDA knows it.

I truly believe in the benefits of Klonopin. I do know anxiety. But benzos are very powerful drugs. As I have stated before, Klonopin should be used for short term use only with a taper plan. What a drag when a doctor just yanks someone off their medication.

BTW your post on pharmacies was really very impressive. I have yet to have a pharmacist admitt that there is any difference between generic and brand. But when I look at their face... I'm not so sure. Doesn't the pharmacy owe their fuduciary responsibility to the customer.

abby
Hi.  I had added a post to this one but fear it may have been overlooked.  You seem very knowledgable about benzos.  Can you develop a tolerance to Klonopin in that .5 mg 3 times a day would stop working?  It is a drug I have been on for a few years now and works well.  That is one of my fears: that it will stop working.  Thanks so much
Sue
Are there any posts on this site that are more recent than 2 years ago; say like this year (2011)? Just curious. My nickname is steepedinmadness & I'd appreciate hearing from any recent posters who are having problems with not only clonazepam, but also alprazolam & tramadol. Thanks
mishymoshymarcy If you think you've tried y... Comment
rocketgirl1210 I have returned! :) Comment
refills, and 10356 commented on clean_in_ks's status
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms