Anxiety Community
Sensation like I am going to pass out

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Sensation like I am going to pass out

Hi Everyone

For those of you who get the sensations like they are going to pass out, do you get a feeling of doom. I have this sensation a couple of times a month. It can happen even when I feel like I am not anxious about anything. I can be sitting reading a book or something then this horrible feeling comes over me like I about to pass out. I don't see stars or anything....it is almost feels like blood is draining from my body. I get sweaty and feel awful and my bowels start to rumble....then my heart will start pounding because I go into panic mode. I have asked several GP's and the cardiologist about this sensation and they put it down to either panic/anxiety or that maybe my blood pressure is occasionally dropping suddenly. They are not at all worried but it scares the **** out of my. I have had ecg's, stress test, halter moniter and a cardioechogram all have come back with no abnormalties detected exept for a few pvc's (another thing that I had getting). I would like to know I am not alone and that I won't die from this.

Cheers
Sharon
OMG! You are so not alone, this is exactly how I feel, usually when I am feeling good for a few days, then I get this sensation and it sets me back. I too have had all the tests w/no abnormalties. We won't die from this but the feeling of almost passing out is extremely scary!!!! Mine is very random, comes out of the blue completely and it takes me a good couple of hours to calm down and then I am exhausted! Is this how you feel?
I do the SAME thing too.  I have had all the test also.  For no reason the attack comes on and I feel like I am going to pass out or die.  Then it is all I can think about.  The dr. gave me Xanax.  I take a 1/4 of a .25 mg pill when needed.  It does seem to help :)  
I'm betting you'll come out on the "survival of the fittest" side in keeping with your eponymous identity. You're not taking your leave any time soon, so get comfortable, girl: you're here for the long haul.

Now, I have a theory to toss out at you. I want you to think about it and then dismiss it  as utter nonesense, because it is probably rubbish. But, you've had all the tests, and we know you are OK, so I'll proceed.

Let's suppose there is something on your mind (if there isn't, then the theory doesn't work, so make something up). No really big deal, just something that exerts a little psychological pressure -maybe a relationship or job issue, maybe something medical about you or someone you care about. In the back of your mind.

Now I also note you mentioned a sense of your blood draining away and if this is really true, you should immediately put it back, because that coukd be the whole problem right there. But, if it just FEELS that way, then read along.  And you mention that your bowels start playing "God save the Queen." And I see, from a careful examination of your picture, employing advanced image recognition software, that your are a woman, and a pretty one at that. And there appears to be a small child holding a pint of Foster's there. What's THAT about?

Anyway, my theory is that your hormonal cycles toss a little extra chemistry into the mix. So, we have whatever is thrashing about in the back of your mind, plus girl chemistry which, from time-to-time, make the ice a little thin psychologically -even though you aren't aware of it at the time.

Now, it is a fact that our blood supply tends to be routed around sort of like electricity, going to wherever your body most needs it to go. And so, as you read my response to your post and wonder what kind of oddball I must truly be, there's blood coursing through your brain trying to help you figure it out.

Likewise, as we digest food, the blood rushes to the intestines and other machinery down there to get the job done. It really does. For some people, the impact is so profound they find it difficult to stay awake, because the blood is all rushing to the gut, not the brain, and a bit of oxygen starvation is underway up there. This is sort of like the electrical supply in Bagdad -when the palace garbage disposal kicks in, the TV sets go out across town.

Are you nibbling or sipping something while you read? And what are you reading? Something uplifting, maybe, like the Texas Chainsaw Massacres? Or maybe you ARE readibg Darwin and realizing, YIKES! We're toast! Whatever the case may be, perhaps those things toss their weight onto the scale with the digestion, background concerns, hormomes, etc.

And then, the thin ice cracks and you feel what you feel which could not be any more perfectly described than the scenario you've given us.

DG, I hope - HOPE - I've made you chuckle a bit as you went through my reasoning, and I did that for 2 reasons. The first is that you clearly are of a right mind, self aware and intelligent and could probably stand a little laugh offered from someone who REALLY, REALLY knows what you are feeing, which I do. Brightens the day.

The other reason is that -even though my theory surely is utter and complete hogwash, I do know there can be "transient" conditions and stimuli which are like a summer "pop-up" storm; seeming to spontaneously create themselves. THAT'S when we wish all the lab equipment was hooked up to us and the doctor's were observing! Nothing like a Holter monitor to make everything go away. So, what I'm suggesting is that you put on your medical detective's hat and make a careful inventory of anything in the background (if there IS anything) and then everything that might be a contributor, stimulous or aggravating factor at the time these things come over you.

And THEN, tell me what you found.

Meanwhile, DG, be aware and please find some comfort in the fact that nearly everyone here knows 'ZACTLY what you're talking about. If you get a chance, lend a hand to someone else whose also going through it. That will help you. I'm glad you're here.

So happens, I've made friends with someone here on the forum who lives in Sydney. I know that's 2900 km from Darwin, but if you'd like to get acquainted, I'll run it by her. Let me know.

And THANK YOU for being a member!
ash009 its rainingggg.....beautifu... Comment
17 mins ago
LovemyKids86 ANY LADIES USE ESSENTIAL OI... Comment
23 mins ago
specialmom, and nursegirl6572 commented on specialmom's status