Anxiety Community
Serax and Valium
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Serax and Valium

I have an interesting question and have searched the web for day's and have found nothing to answer it for me.

First, a little history. Diagnosed with drug induced anxiety disorder and ocd 14 years ago and was put on paxil and klonopin .5mg 3 times daily. I continued this for 3 years before weaning myself off paxil and staying on klonopin. When I came off the paxil I no longer needed near as much klonopin and that dose went in half. I continued to stay on klonopin for 5 more years and on and off several anti-depressants. 4 years ago I switched to valium 5mg 2 to 3 times a day and have tried every ssri out there. Lexapro and paxil seem to be the best. I recently came off lexapro since it was no longer working and have switched to zoloft 2 weeks ago to give it a try. I have been on it before but never stuck with it longer than a few weeks and it's about the only one I haven't given a chance long term.  Also, the ssri's are stimulating to me and typically increase my anxiety and "manic" behavior since I have some bi-polar traits as well.

I have been searching for a good benzo to work for me and have been on ativan which I didn't like because I had to pop one every 4 hours or the anxiety was too much. Klonopin just makes me feel kind of dull and buzzy. I seemed to like the valium when I first started for a few years because it seemed to take away the anxiety without feeling messed up unless I took a couple at once but it makes it real tough to get going in the morning. I also tried serax but never gave it longer than a week or so and reminded me of ativan a little but not quite as bad.

So here's the question. I quit the klonopin again after being on it the last 2 weeks and went back to valium. I know serax is a metabolite of valium. One of my main problems I have with valium is being so tired in the morning for 5 or 6 hours before I get going. Can I take serax along with valium once or twice a day and cut my valium dose down and not experience rebound anxiety since it's a metabolite of valium or does it work a little different than that? I would like to take 5mg of valium for day and then 10mg of serax once or twice a day but don't know what this is doing. Is taking serax the same as the metabolite that valium breaks down to? I just need to know if this is wise and a good idea to do to lessen the hangover effects of the longer half-life metabolites of valium. I don't want to mix the two if it's a bad idea but if it's a metabolite of valium anyways then I should be able to take less valium and then take serax, right or no?