Anxiety Community
Shaking and anxiety

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Shaking and anxiety

I'm wondering what the effect of the body shaking during panic or anxiety attacks has on the central nervous system.
I have a relative who has frequent bouts of panic, anxiety and starts to shake either her hands or her whole body when she's anxious. It can last from less than a minute to a few minutes. She's conscious that she's doing this but finds it difficult to control.
Is this detrimental or just more symptomatic?
Does it need to be controlled by allopathic medicine?
She's taken Remeron, Klonopin, Xanax and Ambien over the past couple of months.
But all are very difficult on her extremely sensitive system - even in minute doses.
Even aspirin is hard to handle.
She also suffers from insomnia so has to take Xanax (.125 mg) or Ambien (5 mg) for sleep.
Xanax gives her about 3-4 hours of sleep.

Are there any holistic methods that have been used successfully to treat this?
We tried to do melatonin and L-triptophane but don't know if they will help with the shaking and
anxiety over time. I know they are not to be used in conjunction with anti-depressants.

Thank you for your assistance and guidance.
Tags: shaking
A holistic phsyician or clinic, a naturopath, a nutritionist---they can all help to analyze your relative's total picture, as opposed to just the shaking, panic attacks and system sensitivity.  Your health food store probably has a list of professionals who might be able to help her.  The total picture is very important.  As for the shaking, vitamin and mineral deficiencies, adrenal imbalance, hyperthryroid, hypoglycemia, and just plain old anxiety can all cause it, from barely a tremble of an extremity, to the entire body shaking as though one is freezing cold, complete with chattering teeth.  Neither panic, nor anxiety need be obviously present for rather violent shaking and teeth chattering.  In fact, those symptoms can occur when someone is having a very good time.  I personally believe that intensity of feelings has a lot to do with it, along with sugar consumption and low blood sugar, or rapidly moving from high to low and back to high with the blood sugar.  There are a lot of books out there about these topics, but my favorite one having to do with low blood sugar is Low Blood Sugar and You, by Carlton Fredericks.  It is easily understood, gives examples of the different situations, provides concrete suggestions for stabilizing blood sugar and recognizing when you're approaching a low, as well as menu suggestions and recipes.  Exercise and massage are two good avenues for relieving stress and muscle tension, and both impart a pampered feeling, which is important.  I mentioned intensity of feelings, above.  An example would be staying up way past the normal sleep time, but having a wonderful time talking to people, and really involved in discussion (romantic interest not necessary), and, perhaps it's been a long while since protein has been consumed.  Intense enjoyment, intense fear, intense cold, intense bereavement, intense worry---all can precipitate barely perceptible to intense shaking.  Usually, when the shaking occurs, the fingers, tips of nose and chin, the feet, the spine and forehead feel a degree of iciness, both to the individual shaking, and to anyone who touches them.  I know people are sick of hearing me say something about drinking pure water and eating pure food, but it is very important for all life, especially to those whose systems are already compromised.  Google all the symptoms and explore what is referenced.  I just googled the book and author and discovered that a revised edition exists.  I've had my well-worn copy for almost 40 years, but maybe I should check out this revised edition.  Good luck in finding answers.  Let us know what you do and what results are achieved.
Mollyrae commented on Why You Might Have A ...
20 mins ago
mishymoshymarcy Study hard, focus, and you ... Comment
1 hr ago
mishymoshymarcy commented on So much ambition, so ...
1 hr ago