Anxiety Community
Smoking Cigarettes and Anxiety?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Smoking Cigarettes and Anxiety?

Can smoking make my anxiety worse? Like after I have a cig I feel really dizzy and lightheaded bad. I know smoking naturally causes you to feel lightheaded, but I hae been smoking for 8 yrs and never had this happen. Please let me know if anyone has had this happen. Or why?
yes smoking tends to make my anxiety worse, but i feel like i have to smoke to calm me down...doesnt make much sence huh!!
Smoking calmed me down for a while after I smoked, but it also sped up my heart rate unitll one day I had a panic attack after smoking.  I had a cig, then went to physical therapy and worked out.  Dumb move, I know, but it was only my second or third smoke of the day.  My heart rate continued to increase with the excercise until it reached approx. 120 and then I paniced.  My body changed over the years. I used to smoke 1.5 packs of Camel non filters a day - that was 30 years ago.  Now I've finally quit, and it was the panic attack that enabled me to do so.  After that I lost my desire and even my cravings for a smoke!  Granted, I was down to 2 - 4 a day, but I was smoking everyday and I would get serious nicotine withdrawal cravings if I didnt smoke for even 1 day.  Unitl January when I stopped. Of course your body reacts differently over time and if will affect you more and more over the years.  Good luck.  Please do yourself a favor and try to stop by whatever means works for you.
I suffer from anxiety/ panic attacks, and my doctor said that smoking and caffiene can cause anxiety to come on. she told me to stop both, i cut out the caffiene but can't seem to stop smoking, I can't smoke during an attack but after it passes it seems to calm, though it does speed up ur heart rate. Its just one of those things that doesn't seem to make sence. I always tell my self that i'm gonig to stop smoking during an attack but always seem to light up after to calm my nerves.

I stopped drinking caffiene & smoking b/c it makes my anxiety symptoms worse.    I'm feeling much better after 7 months.....but i'm not dare to have any coffee or cig.  Even a soda can cause shortness of breath.   My doctor said when you have anxiety your body does not like any "stimulants".  
I too suffer from anxiety/panic disorder. My disorders started after I gave birth to my first son. I was 16 when I got pregnant & 16 when I gave birth. My first attack was extremely terrifying & it felt as if I was having a heart attack & I was going to just faint & never wake up ): . After a year of dealing with my panic attcks & anxiety I have learned to deal with them & just sit them out.. I also realize that when I do smoke a cigarett I feel very light- headed, dizzy, & very faint. When I did lower the amount of my cigarette intake a day I did feel better & I noticed I had alot more energy. I can relate to many of you. Smoking isn't always a nerve-calmer, it can make you very jittery & cause you to worry. I feel so much better when I quit. You should do the same.
Hi I saw your message and wanted to write to you I also suffer with anxiety and panic and I was wondering if i could ask you a couple of questions. With anxiety do you find it hard to go to partys, down down with friends, or just doing things in general because with me I have a partner who wants me to do things with him like go out, meet his family and go on holiday but i feel really anxious just talking about it i would appreciate it if you could maybe help me out in some way maybe you know something that will help if you want to get intouch my e-mail address is ***@**** thanks
I am the same way with my partner, I just try to go and do things with him to overcome my anxiety. Sometimes Im okay, but other times I have an attack. You just have to try to go places and tell yourself your okay and work through it, thats what I do. Hope this helps your not alone in this.
It is fairly possible, if we consider that anxiety tends to be more of an underlining perspective or outlook as it were,  onto the things that you do, such things as area's and people you surround yourself by. A panic attack is triggered by by constant sub-conscious focus on the negative area's.
Since there is alot of negative thoughts and views surrounding smoking every time you smoke you are allowing those negative triggering actions. Which will cause a negative outcome. Negative outcome's trigger negative thoughts but Anxiety is having the negative thought before the negative outcome itself. Thus we call it fear. If you are a person who is prone to fear due to a largely shocking event elevating your fear levels to the point where you will receive those similar or equal levels of fear again next time a fear inducing occasion happens.
Your mind has sub-conscious focus on the past,present,future moments at all times so its your brains way of telling you not to smoke. Because its analyzed everything and realized its not a good thing, but your fear will grow the more you feel out of control. Since smoking is addictive it will drastically increase your feeling of being out of control.
I had anxiety really bad in my second pregnancy and it was not a good feeling @ all i thought i was going to loose my damn mind i didnt know wwhat was going on with me until i was diagnos i was in and out of the emergency that"s how bad it was i went through depression after my first pregnancy dats another worser feeling.Last year i started smoking no not my first smoking cigaretts but when i did started bck cause i was so stressed months later after i started feeling bad and i stopped for a lil bit then i started bck smoking and now im feeling bad once again so yea it"s time for me to quick cause it"s not worth it....SMOKING AND ANXIETY Don"t Mix
Hi Leah, If you want to change your life then please go to you tube and search ( I love panic attacks ).. The person is called geert verschaeve  please watch the videos.

I promise if you follow what he says you will feel so much better.

Kind Regards
The past week I have felt weak light headed jittery my palms get clamy tightness in my chest head aches I start trembling like I feel like I'm bout to die can anybody tell me if this is anxiety and I can constantly feel my heart beat I have 3 kids at home and its starting to interfere with my day to day life nothing has to happen to make me nervous or anything it's jus there all the time I feel like I'm goin crazy and I can't enjoy spending time with my kids because of it plz help
This has been happening to me for about a year now.  My panic attacks happen at any time, washing the dishes, showering watching tv...anytime.  It is getting harder and harder to go out anywhere because I am scared it will happen in public.  I have been doing a lot of research online lately because my doctor prescribed an anti depressant/anxiety medication.  I don't want to take it though as I am not big on any sort of prescription drugs.  Tomorrow I am going to start eliminating different things from my diet...starting with caffiene.  Not a big coffee drinker but it's a start.
mishymoshymarcy commented on mishymoshymarcy's status
58 mins ago
59 mins ago
Amandag78 Australian Government, fina... Comment
1 hr ago