Anxiety Community
Some Smells Cause Me Anxiety

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Some Smells Cause Me Anxiety

I have been experiencing anxiety/panic attacks for over a year now. I did come out of an abusive relationship, however, since then my "sense of smell" drives me to the brink of anxiety. Certain smells of course calm me down, for instance the smell of my "parents room" even the smell of their car. I have a very sensitve sense of smell. I often smell floral, musky, and dust very strongly. I can even pin point what kind of laundry soap people use. And if I don't like a certain smell I won't hestitate to say something. Is has causes me to have paranoria as well. I have always smelled everything wash clothes, food, even the freakin remote control to the tv. I have spoke to friends and family they say that it just might be a gift? I just want to get down the the bottom of it because it drives me insane sometimes. Animals are very attracted to me as well as children. When I smell something I like, I seem to be more talkative and hyper. If I don't like something I usually immidiately start having anxiety & paranoria. I can smell urine, molds, fecies, you name it. Could it be my body chemistry a chemical imbalance, emotional trauma, OR WHAT??? Flies also seem to follow me where ever I go. Am I crazy or can someone relate to me?? PLEASE ANY ADVISE IS APPRECIATED!!! Thanks.
First of all thank you for sharing your experience with us.  I am sorry that you were in an abusive relationship but I am happy that you have gotten out of it.  In my experience there are certain 'triggers' that can cause us to feel a little more on edge or push us on our way to anxiety.  Yours may be the sense of smell.  Smells are very powerful and can remind us of many things. Have you talked this over with your doctor or a therapist?  I know that we can carry a lot of 'emotional trauma' from life changing experiences.  The good thing, however, is that with patience and knowledge of what is eating at us emotionally, we can turn the tide and become ourselves again...please keep us posted!
Thank you for that. Yes, I have spoken to a therapist. She looked at me and said well at least you have a sense of smell..which, in all honesty pissed me off. I was there for help and it seemed as though she was acting like the patient.

Yes,  I am farmilar with "triggers" and I know certain ones that do..for instance a lotion i wore for years, I can no longer wear because when I get hot of course it makes it smell even more, and through me into a frenzy because when in "battle" with my husband that lotion was very strong for some reason. I have asked my sister not to wear it anymore because it really bothers me to the point where I get ANGRY.

I find when I get anxious I will end up laying in my parents bed or just go into their room. But sometimes that doesn't even work......

My daddy's smell keeps me calm most of the time (i know that sounds totally silly)  also my neices and nephews smells stablelizes my moods most of the time.

I will be honest for some reason, my sisters room, I can't hardly go in there because there is something that just causes me to start getting anxious...it's almost like I can sense a smell of a overbearing personality if that make any any any sense at all.

Thank you for your words of encouragement.
It is not a problem...we are all here to encourage each other.  How long have you been seeing this therapist?  Sometimes it takes awhile and a little trial and error to find out one that fits with us.  Don't get discouraged; you are taking the right steps!
I only saw her a few times. I went to another therapist covered under the Victims Services (support for domestic voilence) .I felt comfortable with her, then lost all trust. In all honesty my huband introduced me to meth last year we used it on and off for 6-months. Never addicted I basically did it because he said it's was fun for him. Well I know that can cause all sorts of issues, and while under the influence he did "quote unquote" mostly verbally, emotionally, mentally, & some sexual abuse. (not what you think as far as rape, but he wanted to do things I did not agree with and for that I suffer the shame of it) I really feel the meth use isn't the core issue, the combination of being in that type of environment, under that much stress, and really not being happy. I think I have got a lil off base, I went off all my meds Effexor & Klonopin. I only take Xanex when I need it..I woke of this morning, with nothing but this overwhelming since of anxiety and paranoria.  It's ruining my life and I  know my family is getting pretty tired of me complaining about smells and asking them if I smell or can you smell that....Sometimes I won't touch things if someone asked me too, because I am scared of the smell or just even to touch it...so I will break down and touch it but will use my sleeve or something to move it or what not...You know your body, and mine does not feel right. When I have spoken to doctors they seem to only address the symptoms and not the actual problem. Do you think Bi-Polar or OCD and cause me to be this way. When I sense a smell, I can actually feel  myself go between reality and delusions (for instance I was in a class at church last week and I was fine when I got there, people started showing up my nose went into overdrive and freaked the hell out. Like they all where conspiring and using codes and felt as though they were looking and talking about me...I feel like a total crazy person telling people this, but I use to be outgoing and the life of the party. Everyone wanted to be around me (most of my friends call it a magnetic personality) and it's getting to the point where they don't want to be around me because I can act like a completley different person one minute to the next..and like I said it's weird but the DAMN SMELLS causes something in my brain to trigger and I cant stand it...
I have the exact same problem. You are the only other person I have heard of with this!!!
fiber..water..fiber..water..
39 mins ago by Matthew007
ash009 its rainingggg.....beautifu... Comment
57 mins ago
LovemyKids86 ANY LADIES USE ESSENTIAL OI... Comment
1 hr ago