Anxiety Community
Someone managed to quit smoking with a severe panic disorder and a lot ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Someone managed to quit smoking with a severe panic disorder and a lot of anxiety?

Ok, I need to stop smoking soon, really soon. Tomorrow is my goal...

To be honnest, since 2 months now, each morning when I smoke my first cigarette, I do a severe panic attack because of the fast heart beat... and each time I say to myself that I need to stop, but the more I wait, the more I feel bad and the more I feel anxious.... I also know it's very bad for my health and for my anxiety!!!

My question is that I wonder if someone succeed to stop smoking, even with a severe panic disorder and a lot of anxiety and worries?

I ask my PDoc about quit smoking and he say to wait until my anxiety will be manage. I also ask my Family Doc who answer the same thing... my Therapist think the same...

Anyway's, every cigarette I light make me more anxious because I know it's bad for my heart and my heart is my major concern... and I also feel ashamed cause I can't stop like all the peoples do around me in the last 2 years...

What to do if I want to stop ? I want some tricks if it's possible... Since I also have agoraphobia and can't go out of the house, I don't work and have a lot of free time to think and worry about my heart and my anxiety... What I can do insistead of smoking a cigarette when i'm very anxious?

I have some boxes of nicotine patchs and also some boxes of nicotine lozenges... I can use them for some weeks, it will be probably less dangerous for my heart and reduce my fear about having a heart attack or freak out each time I do a panic attack...

Anyway, thanks for your advises!

I have to be honest, I was a fairly heavy smoker. I got pregnant and my doctor advised that I dont quit but that I cut back. I already had to get off xanax and they didnt feel that it was a good idea to overload me I guess. So I smoked my whole pregnancy. Not alot but still. I went into the hospital to have her and afterwards my blood pressure spiked up really high and I had to stay in longer than expected.
I dont know what it was but the whole experience scared me enough that I knew I had to quit. It was going to be hard because my boyfriend at the time smoked around me all the time. But I got home from the hospital and I just never had another cigarette. It was very hard at times and I almost gave up but it did not make my anxiety worse. My mood yes but anxiety not at all. Within a week, whenever my boyfriend smoked around me I realized how horrible it smelled and he smelled. Within 2 weeks, I had taste back and the smell made me sick. That was it, I just quit. Now mind you there was once or twice over the past 13 years that I have gotten drunk and smoked while drunk, but other than that I have not craved it or anything. I think replacing smoking with eating healthy snacks like almonds, fruit etc and getting up and doing something when you feel the urge is your best bet. I dont know how well patches etc work to be honest. If you do panic from not having a smoke just realize that you are lowering your blood pressure by not having it, clearing your lungs and just being healthier. Smoking that cigarette wont stop a panic attack.
Good Luck and good for you for wanting to quit. Stick with it!
specialmom, and 10356 commented on dominosarah's status
CRSeaside, and 10356 commented on Jade59's status
10356 commented on onthefence's status