Anxiety Community
Sore Pectoral Muscles

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Sore Pectoral Muscles

I recently have been having what doctors said was panic attack...heart treadmill stress tests 2 months ago said to be OK... now, I am experiencing periodic soreness in my pectoral muscles...just like soreness ther day after a good chest workout...but no workouts in several weeks. Soreness is 'strong' for a while and then deminishes, but still lasts a long time...days now! It starts to make me worry about heart issues again...usually at rest. no pain in center of chest, however when I lay on my back some disconfort, fullness in center of chest. Stress is deficitely a part of my life and I hope it is just stress related, but concerned. Feeling of nerviousness associated chest discomfort.
Any suggested caused or recommendations?
Hey I have been having the exact same things happening. I've had some panic attacks recently and I have anxiety...it runs in the family. Aside from the major panic attacks, my biggest problem that I've been having recently is the sore pectorals, like you described. It seems for me that along with the soreness also comes a feeling of lack of energy. Please let me know if you find out anything on how to make these problems go away, or why they're happening!--and I'll let you know if I found out, too. I'm surprised that someone else is actually having this issue, I thought I would be the only one.
Namaste,

I had a similar problem that developed after a bout of pneumonia.

Seems I had contracted pleurisy which caused the symptoms you describe. That was several years ago and I still suffer ocassional chest pain, especially when taking deep breathes or yawning.

Whatever your problem might be, I hope you find a resolution to it quikly.

Jikan
Well, I get the very same chest ache/ fullness sensation in the chest/weak feeling that's associated with it as well....it's all apart of anxiety! I thought I was the next victim to a heart attack several times and each time I ran to ER, I left with the same diagnose...chest wall pain from muscle strain...see, anxiety promotes tense muscles, especially after a panic attack. My chest will be sore for days after a severe panic attack and on occasion I'd feel spasms here and there. Don't worry to much about it, the more attention you give it, the more tense you become and it makes it worst and last much longer than set out. The sensation, I've learned to accept and ignore...and in time it has subsided. Hope all of you feel well soon! :)
I am also an anxiety-prone person, and have noticed that with increased stress my skin will actually feel burned in certain areas.  As well, my pectoral muscles have become sore-for no reason.  Patchy hair loss has also occurred.   Good luck.  
Hi I'm new on this site
If anyone can shed some light on the way I'm feeling it would be great.
I've had chest pain on and off for many months. Manily on the left side above my brest.  Ive seen two heart dr's I've had a reg stress test and a nucluer stress test in nov .  He said all was fine with my heart not to worry .But I still have this pain and I scared to death thinking it's my heart. He said he thinks it's all muscle skeltal.  It's in the pectoral region.  I just am at a loss.  What do you think? Should I believe the test results?? Help me

Boi1
I've had the same symptoms for the last 5 years, I can't figure it out either.  I'm interested in talking with you more offline as it drives me crazy!  
I have been experiencing the same pectoral pain off and on for more then 2 years also and the Doctors feel it's stress/anxiety related but the pain can be so strong at times that it seems that its something serious. Sometimes its hard to get comfortable in bed...Anyone else feeling this way at all??
I also feel this way especially when I am trying to sleep its extremely discomfortable on the left side of my chest and sometimes on my side ?

Is there any remedy ???
I have had the same problems on and off for about 9 years now.  In 2009 I damaged my pectoral muscles, primarily the left quadrant.  Of course, I also have GAD and SAD, and tend to stress a lot, which doesn't help.  I have found that knowing what your body does during anxiety (which for me is all the time) is very helpful.  

The combination between the 'chest' pain and then to top it off with the soreness in my jaw, it is hard to not think that I am have some type of heart condition, but the number of cardiology tests I have been through all have said otherwise.  

It also doesn't help that I work as a programmer, so for the most part my chest muscles are in one position for most of the day.  

I notice that the weather changes also effect this, and I think with the current weather changes that have been happening, it isn't surprising, considering that this happens to me every year.  

Of course, sitting and worrying about it can cause you to go into a more severe panic attack which just makes the symptoms worse, and there is no assurance that someone with anxiety can be given to put their mind at ease.  I do stretching exercises (just like stretching before working out but focusing on the pecs) about 10 times a day.  

Anxiety is a pain, to say the least, and over the years I have learned to recognize the symptoms of a silent anxiety attack, and I have learned methods of being able to talk myself down from them most of the time.  

So, this muscle (particularly the pectoral muscles) pain that people with anxiety get is very common, it is just figuring out how to get through the pain that is caused by it.

Yeah ive been having like this achey (achy) burning pain in chest the left side,and the upper part of like my back or shoulders,once I went to the er and while I was having the ekg I was having the pain,they said everything is finr but its so scairy,i hate this I want my life back
This thread is almost 5 years old.  Please start a new thread.  These old threads will not garner any attention.

Thanks.
Kimmy3000uk commented on I had no idea there w...
55 mins ago
Jade59 commented on photo
Amandag78 commented on photo