Anxiety Community
Speech problems and anxiety
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Speech problems and anxiety

I am a 30 year old female with a diagnosis of generalized anxiety disorder and depression.  I have been feeling a lot of anxiety the last few months. Today has been really bad because I have had a severe bout of insomnia the last few days.  I called and tried to talk to my mom about everything I have been feeling (she is a counselor) and this afternoon it was like my brain rebooted.  I just feel really foggy and I'm speaking really haltingly (as one of my co-workers put it "robotically") and not in complete sentences.  I know what I'm trying to say but I have trouble getting the words out.  This has happened to me before, a few years ago, but that was after a head injury. It went away after a couple of weeks but I have not had any head trauma since then.  Has anyone else experienced this?  How long does it normally last?
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1337456_tn?1278437461
Just keep speaking. Just talk and talk and talk and it should go away. Your mind is concentrated on 'Why can't I talk right?' so it's making you panic as you speak which will do that to you. I've had times when I start talking with someone, we'll be going back and forth and then I start focusing on my health in my mind during the convo (why? I have no f*cking clue!!! :[ ) and then my speaking starts to get wierd. I'll panic, heart will race and then I have to hide and breathe for like 5 minutes to calm myself down. :( But when the situation happened agian and agian, I just kept talking and trust me I wanted to scream and run away when I'd start to panic but I just hung in there and eventually it faded. It still happens if I start thinking but I don't panic anymore about it and it'll go away within seconds.
Blank
1337456_tn?1278437461
and remember. When you are running from a tiger, you are not speaking. Just think about someone jogging with a friend and talking at the same time. You are not def not speaking correctly and talking (breathe) then talk because you are in a flight mode and out of breathe but it doesn't bother you then. It s*cks but good luck.
Blank
1118884_tn?1338596450
After no sleep or poor sleep, you may have trouble talking.  Remember it takes energy and concentration to carry on a conversation!

I'd try to get meds straight so you can sleep.  Believe you will feel better then.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Recent Activity
Blank
SSow is ... Comment
37 mins ago
1571146_tn?1399913292
Blank
Moma_Cher commented on photo
1 hr ago
Blank
Meganann123 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
2 hrs ago
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms
Start Tracking Now
Top Anxiety Answerers
480448_tn?1403547723
Blank
nursegirl6572
PA
Blank