Anxiety Community
Stress and Chest Pains

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Stress and Chest Pains

Can high levels of stress cause you to feel pain in your chest?  Sometimes,  I feel a pressure by the left chest area and it rotates around the breast. It will last for several days until I calm down. But the feeling is not persistent. It comes and goes while the stress is high. It can be frightening because I relate the pain to a heart attack but I have had EKG's, chest X-Rays, and other tests done to rule out any heart disease.  So far,  everything looks good.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced chest pains while under stress?
If so,  how long did it last? Hours? Days? Weeks?
What did the pain feel like?  Pressure? Stabbing? Fullness?
Hello there,

Tight chess, chess pain that seems to be all around the chest are common symptoms of stress and anxiety. If it would be a problem with your heart the pain would be coming more from near the sternum as a very annoying pain and pressure. If it moves around your chest it's mostly not related to your heart.

I have had the symptoms you describe ( chest pain that can be on the left breast or  right breast , its more like a cramp pain not pressure like pain ) and i asked my doctor if it could be related to heart problem but in my case it's happening when i do jogging and it's more related to chest cramps than heart problem.

You could still ask for the Holster test that is heart monitoring for 48 hours to rule out for good heart condition but i doubt your heart is the reason you have those symptoms.

Best regards,
M4
I think you are right. It is more like a cramp rather than a pressure BUT it hasn't gone away since Sunday night.  I was having a busy day, kinda stressful,  and after dinner I felt that pain come on. So, I have been diagnosed with IBS and GERD so I am not sure if that pain could be from that.  It is not consistant but I now noticed that it comes more after I eat something.  I wonder if stress triggered my stomach a bit.
It is VERY important for women to learn the s/s, (signs and symptoms) of a heart attack, as they are usually much different than a mans. Next time you're at your doctors, have him/her explain the types of symptoms a WOMEN is more apt to feel during a heart attack.
I seriously do not think what you're experiencing is a heart attack or anything even related to your heart. You've had numerous test which prove your heart is fne. As M4 has suggested, if you need or want further reassurance, you can request to wear a Holter monitor which will show any abnormalities in your heart.
I think you've answered your own question when you stated that you'd been diagnosed with both IBS AND GERD! You also state that it frequently begins soon after eating. Classic for both the IBS and GERD.
While the pain can be frightening and is sometimes very intense, once you learn the difference between the IBS/GERD pain and the pain of an MI, I think you will be able to relax. I would also suggest talking with your doctor or a gastroenterologist about the IBS/GERD. Have you had an endoscopy done to rule out possible problems? There are many options available now to help you deal with these issues. You may also want to study up on better ways to eat with these conditions. Smaller but more frequent meals during the day can help both conditions. Not eating too late at night or eating a heavy meal before bed will help. And there are certain foods which should be either avoided or eaten sparingly. If possible, a session with a nutritionist would be time and money well spent.
And yes, stress plays a huge part in both these conditions as well.
I have pretty severe GERD and have implemented the suggestions I've given you with excellent results. I no longer need to take an acid reducer on a regular basis. (I probably will tonight though from way too much turkey and stuffing and pie and sweet potatoes and gravy and.............) LOL
As to your chest pain, I can also relate to that big time! I think I know exactly the kind of pain your talking about and for me it can last up to three days depending on how much I continue to focus on it. As you said, it isn't consistant, but it's there off and on. My doctor once told me that if I have a pretty bad episode of GERD, it, (the acid) will irritate the esophagus which can last for days and every time I eat anything, it just exacerbates the problem, which includes chest pain. He told me that I needed to let it "rest" and for the next 24 hours should eat only very mild food and even better, fast. (But to drink plenty of liquids!) I tried that once and the irritation went away quickly as did the chest pain. This worked for ME.........I can't say it will for YOU. This is something you really need to discuss with your doctor(s)
Your heart is fine. It's your gut, Toots!
One thing to keep in mind is that while acid reducers can help for awhile, like many medications they can eventually have a "rebound" affect and instead of reducing the acid production, they promote it! But this can take quite awhile to happen. I use to eat Rolaids by the tubfull until my gastro told me I was just making the problem worse. Live and learn, eh?
Let us know how you're doing, OK?
Skip seconds tonight and go for a brisk walk after dinner.
Peace
Greenlydia

I did have a 24hr holtor on me and the doctor said that I was fine. This was nine months ago.

I am used to having an upset stomach but this is the first time that I felt it more persistent than other times. The pain/discomfort was sharper and lasted for several days. Actually, as I type this,  my stomach feels upset after drinking a cup of coffee. The chest pains have cleared up but I am starting to believe that it was muscle related along with a bout of GERD.  Usually, antacids work for me but this time it did nothing to aleviate my symptoms. That is why I worried...because I never felt such sharp chest pains before. Especially, for several days in a row. It comes and goes but feels less sharp. I am rather gassy. Lol.

We recently moved into our new place so I have been busy unpacking, moving furniture, etc. I pulled a stomach muscle earlier this month.  It is taking the entire family a while to adjust but with a little patience things are coming along. There has been a lot of changes to endure. This is part of why I am stressed.  Basic stuff. Then,  the holidays are around the corner and I have yet to find work. Good thing my hubby has a steady job.  But the economy is rough right now.

Thank you so much for the response.

i have chest pain fell like it under my arm pic and in my chest area  sharp pain it last for a long days sometime i went to the hospital did all type of  test all came back neg what should i do i just turn 19
When I have bad anxiety and I have an attack its feels like my chest is gonna burst.
remar commented on  Things Killing Your ...
51 mins ago
ash009 happy sunday.. Comment
56 mins ago
Nighthawk61 commented on Embarrassing, but i n...
1 hr ago