Anxiety Community
Tampered drink

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Tampered drink

Hi Ieft my drink on my desk and I am worried that a colleague has put blood or spit in to my drink and I drank it ? i left a herbal mixture I. My desk and when I can back I colleague of mine was near it whom is homosexual and was unattended. Thank you for your reply I am concerned as I don't know I if he did, it just keeos playing in my mind when I did drink it roughly 4-5 hrs later it was 2.5mls diluted in 4mls of water followed by another 5mls of water. I than remembered I left the bottle unattended and made myself throw everything up
Like I told you in the HIV forum, this fear is irrational and unwarranted.  You're making an awful lot of erroneous assumptions, which, btw, also feed into a lot of the stigmas we have out there as well.

For one, not all homosexuals have HIV...far from it.  Also, many heterosexuals who you may know may be infected, you would never know.  HIV is a virus that doesn't discriminate.  Wish people were the same way.  You can NEVER assume someone is or isn't infected based on who they are, who they love, what they look like, etc.  That's VERY closed minded.

So, I can assure you that your gay colleague isn't probably infected with anything to begin with, and certainly, if he is, he's probably not crazy enough to be on some kind of mission to infect others...AND he would probably know enough to know that he couldn't do that anyway, not without having sex without someone, or sharing IV drugs.  You can NOT get HIV from ingesting infected fluid.  Can NOT happen.

I REALLY strongly recommend you seeking out professional help to start dealing with this.  I see you posted in the OCD community as well...that's a good move, as these kinds of fears and worries and usually more typical in OCD than in anxiety disorders.  

Please get yourself some help so you can lose the paranoia.  You also need to work on your view of homosexual people.  You really could broaden your mind a lot.
As a VERY proud mother of a gay son, I took your comments to be offensive in the extreme.

When you wrote "i left a herbal mixture I. My desk and when I can back I colleague of mine was near it whom is homosexual and was unattended."

Were you referring to your drink being unattended or the homoxexual? Or, God help you........did you mean both?

Nursegirl did an admirable job of pointing out your unbelievably erroneous, narrow minded and appallingly hurtful viewpoint, so I'm just going to let her words speak for me, as they will no doubt speak for thousands of others.

Thank you ng
Really sorry no harm was ment
Thank you and sorry my question was never to offend anyone I'm sad it came across that way you can assure me that this can't happen once it hits liquid to ng sorry if I offended you
It's nice of you to apologize, I think this is a good opportunity for you to reflect on how your biases toward a certain kind of person can be hurtful to others.

The very best thing you could do is seek some professional help and explore why it is you feel the way you do toward homosexual individuals.  Many times, when there is a fear like that present, there are some deep rooted issues or confusions that cause those feelings or disapproval towards a certain race, sexual orientation, etc.

The HIV issue is NOT an issue.  Even if an HIV infected person spit in your glass, used your glass, etc...you can NOT get infected that way.  You need to recognize that those irrational fears are tied into your hang ups about gay people.  Hence, why you really need to seek some help.

People who choose to love others of the same sex are just like anyone else.  They aren't different, or dirty, or damaged.  They simply love someone of the same sex.  We've come a long way in acceptance, but we still also have a LONG way to go.  

If you address these "phobic" like thoughts with a professional, it's very possible you can not only rid yourself of these unfair judgements and biases, but also, you will rid yourself of the irrational fear that comes along with it.

Good luck.
I also think that you are venting your anxiety on an anxiety forum.  It's YOUR anxiety and sometimes our own anxiety doesn't make sense.  I am thinking addressing the anxiety and learning more about the things you fear could really help you.  good luck dear.
Not sure I articulated well above.  What I meant was that sometimes a person can have anxiety that is irrational in nature but none the less feels very real to the person suffering it.  So, by addressing your general state of anxiety, you will be better able to deal with the things that you are afraid of and hopefully conquer that fear.  

Hopefully that made sense.  good luck to you.  
Thankyou please I don't have anything against anyone I do have a fear and I do have to overcome it I just really scared that something happened
Thankyou for your reply I have made myself believe that it happened and I can't get it out of my mind I'm not a bad person at all I just can't stop thinking
That's what they call anxiety!  Do you see anyone for this?  Have you talked to your doctor about it?  I think you will benefit from treating this.  Anxiety feels horrible and you shouldn't have to suffer or have obsessive, intrusive thoughts like this dear.  
No j haven't spoken to anyone I'm embarrassed if what they may think if me
Don't be embarressed.  Doctors and psychologists do not judge.  Anxiety is something that can be unpredictable for what will trigger it.  Never deny yourself treatment for fear of what someone might think of you.  Trust me that professionals are understanding and don't let personal feelings or emotions enter into their attempt to help you.  And they've seen everything sweetie.  Much worse than what your fears and anxieties are.  So, please contact your doctor and either start there by talking to them and get their help to move to the next step of getting help (a psychologist/psychiatrist) or go straight to trying to find a therapist.  They are trained to not judge you or make you feel ashamed in any way.  They only want to help you.  peace and luck dear.  Let us know how you are doing and please DO contact someone in your area to talk to, okay?
Why is it you think it happened? Do you if he has HIV or is it because he is gay? Being openly gay I was not offended by your comment I truly believe people have right to there believes. But as they pointed out you have to find the trigger. Is it the disease or the homosexual. Then you can get the right help. But you also have to be open and honest cuz even though you apologized you never denied it was cuz he gay
Hi no nit cause he is gay that is his choice it's just the unknown everyone has take this the wrong way please don't
Hi nurse girl thankyou for all your responses one more and that's it when you say it can NOT happen could you please explain. Also I have booked an appointment I really do thank you for listening  THANKYOU
Oh, I think Jesus6789 was actually being very understanding.  As a gay man, he was not offended by your question as he stated but was referring to finding the triggers of your anxiety whatever they may be.  That's what is important here, that you get help for your anxiety.  So very happy that you made an apptointment to see someone.  Don't skew your feelings/thoughts when talking to a professional.  Remember, they are not there to judge you in any way but to only help you.  good luck and peace
I have say its wrong to refer to being gay as a choice. You didn't choose to be straight and I PROMISE you no one chooses to gay. We are who we are. With that being said my biggest fear (besides spiders) is the fear of the unknown. And as I research anxiety and fears I feel its a very common fear. I honestly hope everything works out for you and good luck.
I'm not going to continue to discuss why this is not a risk.  Continuing to discuss this will only fuel your anxiety, and it doesn't address the problem at hand, which IS anxiety.  Plus, this is an anxiety forum, not the HIV forum.  We're here to address anxiety issues.

Making an appointment was a great move, and SM is right, you won't be judged.  One thing that is very true of anxiety no matter WHAT the fear may be is that fear and anxiety usually aren't rational.  Whether a person fears driving, or bridges, or heart attacks, or HIV, fear is fear.

I'm assuming your appointment is with a therapist?  That's a start!!!
Sorry to everyone if I upset
nursegirl6572 commented on Embarrassing, but i n...
16 mins ago
ash009 am glad that i found this s... Comment
1 hr ago
mishymoshymarcy I am okay... Marcy, you are... Comment