Anxiety Community
Teen stress/anxiety/depression?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Teen stress/anxiety/depression?

My 16 year old boy is starting school next week. He recently told me that he didn't do an on- line class, which he was going to do during the summer. He said that he didn't want to do it at 1st place, but agreed to do so due to peer pressure. He got very stressed out after meeting his friends. He confessed to me now (lied early when I asked him), crying, and said he was thinking of hurting himself in bad way. I was very worried about it, and took him to his pediatrician. She suggested to have him seeing a psychologist. I want to be cautious about which doc to choose, and at the same time watching my son's behavior. He seems calm down quiet a bit now, and everything is back to "normal". He told me that he had hard time stay concentrating after reading books for a while, and his grade was sliding down at 10th grade ( used to be all As, now with 2 Bs). We felt like he didn't put enough effort in the past, playing a lot of video games everyday. Is there a big concern about his mental health and get checked? Thanks!
It sounds like you're doing the right thing by taking him to a psychologist. He is a teen and teens can get very upset about everything. It's best to have him checked out though to see if he may be depressed or overly stressed.
Hi, caring mom, I am a Mom too and I know you will do anything for your child  . I would like to send this info your way as i was not aware of Magnesium myself till recently. Search for Magnesium deficiency both on You tube and google. You will find so much info that would help you help  your boy.

Here is one search. as his symptoms sound like he is getting depressed.   Not a lot of people know about Magnesium yet but I am trying to make it be known. It will help you out. This is safe to take, healthier and our body needs it. Once you learn more about it, you will probably find out that you need this supplement as well, cause we all do..

Magnesium is a supplement that our body needs and apparently due to the nature of the foods that we eat, 80 % of the population is now Mg deficient without knowing it. Health issues / complaints unfortunately are difficult to diagnose by the medical community.
Mg Glycinate is one best form of Mg as its well absorbed by the body and very inexpensive. Its important to take the right kind.

Read more on Mg Deficiency. Lots of info on the web...
Here is one search.
For FYI
Rapid recovery from major depression using magnesium treatment.
From PubMed

Major depression is a mood disorder characterized by a sense of inadequacy, despondency, decreased activity, pessimism and sadness where these symptoms severely disrupt and adversely affect the person's life. Antidepressant drugs are not always effective and some have been accused of causing an increased number of suicides particularly in young people.

Magnesium deficiency is well known to produce neuropathologies. Only 16% of the magnesium found in whole wheat remains in refined flour, and magnesium has been removed from most drinking water supplies, setting a stage for human magnesium deficiency. In magnesium deficiency, neuronal (BRAIN) requirements for magnesium may not be met, causing neuronal damage which could manifest as depression. Magnesium treatment is hypothesized to be effective in treating major depression . These magnesium neuronal deficits may be induced by stress hormones, excessive dietary calcium as well as dietary deficiencies of magnesium.

Case histories are presented showing rapid recovery (less than 7 days) from major depression using 125-300 mg of magnesium (as Mg glycinate or Mg taurinate) with each meal and at bedtime.

Magnesium was found usually effective for treatment of depression in general use. Related and accompanying illnesses in these case histories including traumatic brain injury, headache, suicidal ideation, anxiety, irritability, insomnia, postpartum depression, cocaine, alcohol and tobacco abuse, hypersensitivity to calcium, short-term memory loss and IQ loss were also benefited.

Dietary deficiencies of magnesium, coupled with excess calcium and stress may cause many cases of other related symptoms including agitation, anxiety, irritability, confusion, sleeplessness, headache, delirium, hallucinations and hyperexcitability, with each of these having been previously documented.

The possibility that magnesium deficiency is the cause of most major depression and related mental health problems including IQ loss and addiction is enormously important to public health and is recommended for immediate further study. Fortifying refined grain and drinking water with biologically available magnesium to pre-twentieth century levels is recommended.

Hope this helps you feel better and  better for your son.
Yes, I feel that a psychologist is warranted in your case.  Suicidal thoughts are dangerous in the extreme, and your son is at that teen-adult edge that is very confusing for every teen.  Please make an appt for him, and keep a close eye on him as well, letting him know he is loved and wanted.  Blessings - Blu
As you search on Mg deficiency, ( I never knew this before ) you will find that people who are exposed to loud noises, loud music, video games, all the excitement, people are not aware that all these is using up your Magnesium stores. Unfortunately in this day and age, our food is no longer providing the right nutrition. People get depleted of nutrients without knowing.

Anxiety, panic attacks, suicidal ideation, alcoholism, as you see in the media happens a lot to people in the music industry, to movie stars who are using up the Mg as they face all the stresses and excitement of performing and being able to please the crowd. In smaller doses, regular people like us face the same stresses. Lacking sleep, these video games cause people to stay up most of the night, I know cause my son does it too, with his cousins and friends.

If you would get Magnesium and start supplementation, it will work quickly,
as it says on the Pub Med research. ( Doctors use this for Reference )

I would like to repeat this phrase:

"Case histories are presented showing rapid recovery ( less than 7 days) from major depression using 125-300 mg of magnesium (as Mg glycinate or Mg taurinate) with each meal and at bedtime."

Mg Glycinate is easy to absorb, its a dietary supplement like Calcium and Vit D, that is needed by the body daily. Its cheap, I get mine at $4.00 for a bottle of 90 caps.

We have to search, learn and be responsible for our own wellness. But sometimes we don't know what to search or even start looking.
It would not hurt to see an MD, but do start  supplementation and your son   might improve by the time your appointment is due.

Take care. I do want to spread the word on Magnesium as it has helped me and my family and friends from health issues that so baffles even the Medical community.

Edna RN
lajacks commented on Derealization and Dep...
Amandag78 commented on LindyTara's status
Nighthawk61 commented on I have so much potent...