ANXIETY
COMMUNITY
This is torture , please answer
by Sin34, Jan 29, 2013
I always feel like I'm suffocating and like I need to take a deep breath. I feel like my breathing is hallow and I have I force myself to breathe. It's a very annoying, disturbing feeling and its been going on for at least 2 weeks. I can't focus on school or even hanging out with friends. They told me at the doctor and ER it's anxiety BUT the problem is I am usually feeling calm and I'm not anxious.

I do breathing exercise and they don't work, they make me feel worse. I take antidepressants now and also lorazepam to calm down but it doesn't work much, just makes me apathetic. Breathing issue still there! Please help me the doctors don't understand, I feel like I'm constantly suffocating.
Member Comments (14)
by flip0415, Jan 29, 2013
Hello have u had any stress or been worrying about anything in ur life, finding it hard to breath like suffocating is a syptom of anxiety it is really scary. Most syptoms of anxiety r, how long have u been on ur anti-depressants for? If un happy with ur treatment u should return to ur Doctor or see a different doctor. Some doctor aren't very understanding, after me being free of anxiety its came back an even scared me. Its a horrible thing at the time, but u can get through it with the right treatment and learning how to cope with it seeing a therapist. On here their seems to be a lot of people sharing their experience and willing to listen cause their dealing with this an goin through it, your not alone and ur a strong person
by Sin34, Jan 29, 2013
Thanks for responding! No I don't feel stressed out! This is whats stressing me out actually. I cannot live like this :( constantly feel like gasping for air or like my lungs are about to explode if I breathe any deeper :(
by flip0415, Jan 29, 2013
Sorry for replying late, choking feeling an swallow breathing can be a symptom of Anxiety. If it was me and it was unbearable I wouldn't go the walk-in centre to see an outta hours doctor the hospital. At least that would give u some peace of mind an expert has done tests an checked u over. Anxiety is hard and the symptoms r horrible, u need to speak to a doctor or Health professional so they can put something in place an get u the best help to over come this good luck
by gino692009, Jan 30, 2013
I have anxiety and I wouldnt not wish this on my worst enemy.... the last year has been the worst and its only been this year Im not sure how it all started it just came on one day and hasn't left me.... I have had every test (Not MRI) and everything came back clear, surprise surprise... the feeling of being lightheaded all the time everyday 24-7 is just annoying. I have never felt like i was choking or suffocating, but i have had the trembles and sweats bad sleeps cant eat right the list goes on..... Its so hard to belive that this is all from anxiety but the doctors keep assuring me it is..... I have seen 5 doctors total all saying the same thing.... I am so glad that I found this site / form cause for the longest time i felt I was the only one going through this it made me feel as if I was alone... its hard to explain to other what you are dealing with cause they look at you as if your crazy or something.... but they just dont get or feel what your are. All we need to do is keep our head up and minds clear (Hard i know) and know one day it will go away.
by Miska1989, Jan 30, 2013
Just relax and dont fight it realise that there is no fight its just you paying more attention to how your body works then what you used to. Never before have you been thinking how does breathing feel like? right? and now you do. so you must not do that.Nothing is going on let ur body breathe by itself while you think of nice stuff, give up the controll and just let ur body do the work!
by Miska1989, Jan 30, 2013
I forgot to write when you pay attention how it feels like breathing  you get tensed and scared cause you dont usually do that and you feel like choking thas why we should mot bug into this. But its nothing scary !:) its just normal millions of people focuse on their breathing and controll it and they are fine and so will you be!
by Miska1989, Jan 30, 2013
by Sin34, Jan 31, 2013
thanks for replying guys. nothing is making me feel better. i feel like its getting worse. i have been  lexapro for 2 weeks and its not even helping! i constantly feel like im suffocating and i cant stand it anymore. i just want to die. I dont even get numbness and tingling anymore. It just feels so uncomfortable. i cant even fall asleep. i feel so hopeless i want to just pass out and die. i dont know what to do anymore. Its always here. it wont go away. i took lorazapam to calm me down (.5 mg) and it doesnt help at all. I cant live my life like this, i cant do anything. nothing makes me laugh anymore. if i smile its fake. im losing my mind. im not even anxious and nervous and i feel this happens. i do everything to relax. i try to keep myself busy by typing this right now and its not helping. i dont know what the hell is wrong with me. i wish it would go away. i tried exercise and try to regulate my breathing with breathing exercises. its not helping! I dont even feel anything besides this uncomfortable feeling. PLEASE HELP ME. WILL THIS EVER GO AWAY??? Im in my own hell, nonstop suffocating sensation.
by gino692009, Jan 31, 2013
I know the feelings you are having minus the choking like the said before. TRUST me I felt like i wanted to die but a year later I am still here :), I know what you mean with the other symptoms numbness tingling not being nervous, thinking how can this all be from Anxiety... in the last year I have been up and down its like a BAD roller coaster sadly, there will be day you feel ok and just when you think its done, Anxiety comes back and bites you in the butt.... even now i still get symptoms of anxiety for example I have lightheaded feeling 24/7 and it *****, I asked the doctor how can anxiety make me feel like im lightheaded all day everyday.... they always say the same thin "It is just one of the most common effects from it".... I ask the same question will it ever go away,  I think the biggest issue with us anxiety sufferers is that we tend to focus our minds on how we feel thus making the symptoms stronger and last longer. I know its hard to move your mind else where I try it every day but the same thoughts come back into my head "How can this be anxiety" I have had Blood work ,ECG ext... (No MRI not worried about brain issues) I have seen 5 doctors in the last year and everything always comes back clean...
but that still doesn't put my mind to rest knowing I am physically healthy, I know its my mind playing this game with me. I done everything you have said exercises, breathing exercises, meditate, nothing helps. as far as the meds go they take any were from 4-6 weeks and thats even if they are a good med for you, I tryed Celexa for 3 months and then stopped with out going to the doctors bad idea.... 6 months later still feeling the way i do I got on wellbutrin(150mg to start) I have only been on it for 6 days tomorrow is the last day at 150 and then moving up to 300mg... I hope it helps I really do, I feel for you BIG times we are in the same situation except I am past the beginning of it which i think it is the worst... take it slow try not to have bad thoughts (I know its hard) Know you are not going to die!!! its all a natural cause, its how our bodys work and deal with life (Fight or Flight) assuming your a male, from what i hear we get it worse... THERE IS NOTHING TO BE WORRIED ABOUT ITS NATURAL!!! Message me if you want to talk more, I feel it kinda helps