Anxiety Community
Throat tightening

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Throat tightening

For the past few days I've been experiencing a strange kind of tightness in my throat.  I don't remember having this before.  I started getting a slight cold last week so I thought maybe it was related to that, but it doesn't seem to be.  It's like a mildly painful feeling like my neck/throat is getting tighter and tighter - as if it were closing.  But I can breathe ok, even though I FEEL like it should be hard to breathe.  It definitely triggers my anxiety!  It's not constant - it seems like it just comes out of nowhere.  I hate always thinking something is wrong!!  Has anyone had this before??  I'm sure it's just another symptom of my anxiety/stress...  Any input is appreciated.
i have had the same roblem..i read it could be from anxiety.....it had only happened to me once before right when i had an anxirty attack,,,did u check with ur doctor?
Yep, mine does the same thing, but I would for sure check with your doctor just to be sure.  Have you taken any new meds with the cold?  Could you be having a reaction to one?  I'd for sure want to get that checked, but know if it turns out it's from anxiety you are so not alone with that symptom.  Jen
Anxiety and panic can definitely cause a myriad of symptoms.  My hands sweat, heart races, and my throat tightens.  In my experience, just when we seem to get a handle on one thing another symptom will pop up.  It can be very scary and confusing, however the good thing is that you are experiencing 'typical' anxiety in my opinion, so you know you are not alone and that you can and will get through it.  How long have you been experiencing anxiety?  Are you in counseling for it?  
I'm not really taking anything for my cold so a reaction to something is out, although I did recently start taking fish oil...could that cause a problem?  It almost feels like it's related to the knots I have in my upper back and neck - like a spasm or something.  I was just at my doctor a little over a week ago for a physical but I wasn't experiencing this then or I would have said something.  I hate to call there with another issue when I was just there...
It's not really happening with the other symptoms I usually get when I'm having an anxiety/panic attack.  Like I said, it just comes (seemingly) out of nowhere -- like today I was ok this morning,  then all of a sudden I noticed it and it hasn't stopped all day now.  It's irritating and uncomfortable.  I've had a sinus-type headache for the past couple days too, not sure if it could all be related.  I just don't want to freak myself out by putting all my "symptoms" together... I'm anxious enough as it is.

Thanks for you inputs!!
I'm just like CJ, the only thing that is reliable about my anxiety is its unpredictablility!  LOL.  My symptoms vary from day to day.  And I know that focusing in on them makes them that much worse.  Anxiety can certainly cause neck and back spasms (after all that is where most people carry their tension), it can also cause muscular spasms anywhere throughout the body.  And, as you know, anxiety is known to "just come out of nowhere" that's what makes this disease such a pain!  It isn't logical, for goodness sakes!  You hang in there AM.  We are all here for you!  Jen
I had that problem before and learned to live with it, I did a lot of research about it myself, cause doctors and specialists will tell you that everything is ok. I occur to call a doctor in India and tell about my problem cause I was really worried about it and here's the explanation he gave me:

I told the doctor like I was feeling something like stuck in my throat and the worse was like I wen't on panic thinking that this was going to cause me some kind of choking sometime. But of course this is part of a particular anxiety and in the other hand it has "real" medical causes, is not all in the "imagination". He told me that medications and gain of weight contribute to this symptom it is mostly GASTRIC believe it or not, the upper esophagus gets swollen because of a sort of acid reflux and this (in your case) could be caused by this oil your taking. Once the esophagus is swollen, the pain and "strange object" sensation radiates to the throat making you feel this uncomfortable chock like sensation, but just for you to feel ok I will tell you that there is not such a problem with your breathing and this is not compromised at all, If you can cof, talk and deep breathing with any obstacle then everything is ok. What really happens here is that when the throat is swollen a "self defense and surviving mechanism" activates immediately in anxious people like us and give wrong instructions to the brain tell him that your chocking and even a panic attack can overcome with all this even.

So I will really suggest you to get your stomach and feeding habits checked, take some anti acid like Omeprazol and yes, try to stop taking that oil pills cause is like you were taking pure oil and this is really hard for the stomach to digest.

Hope this help in some manner for all of you, I feel better now following this advices from my doctors.

Any other doubts I will be here to help you guys.

Metacomet
I think I will stop the fish oil and see if I notice a difference - hopefully soon!!  When I was at the doctors recently I mentioned to him that I've been having a problem with an excess amount of mucus drainage which causes me to have to clear my throat A LOT... he said it could be allergies or an acid reflux problem - maybe it's all related to this strange new throat/neck problem???  I don't really have any other indications of acid reflux, so I was leaning more toward allergies.  Anyway, as I was (uncontrollably) focusing on this whatever in my neck last night, I realized that it seems to be more concentrated on the right side.  My problem is that then it feels like it's spreading - I start noticing that my face/jaw is kinda sore, then oh! my head feels funny on that side too, and my throat hurts a little when I swallow.... will it ever end!?!  Maybe a massage would help - I don't know.  I REALLY appreciate all the comments -- knowing that other people are dealing with similar issues brings some comfort.  My husband is understanding to a point - but I feel like an idiot always saying that I'm worried about this pain or that pain - to someone who doesn't deal with this problem I feel like it just sounds ridiculous.
Dear AM don't feel bad about this feelings, but mainly the reason of your concern is based on a kind of fear to experiment a chocking or something worse, let me tell you that all of us have a self defense reaction it is called the "SURVIVING MECHANISM" it consist in a triggered reaction of the body when the brain believes that your life is compromised (in this case your ventilation) so it might be happening that this little esophagus constriction is triggering this reaction in your mind. I was living with the same issue and my worse fear was that I was going to die chocking but you should be calm cause you're not going to die about this. For me you have some gastric problem which is centered in your upper stomach and then gets reflexed more upper to your neck.

Avoid any spicy foods, sodas, and watch your positions when you seat an lie for a long period.

I suggest you to try some light NON STEROID ANTI-INFLAMATORY medication like MELOXICAM and protect your stomach and esophagus by drinking yougurth and a treatment of OMEPRAZOL 20mg for 2 weeks. If you feel better after this, then means that I was right and then everything has to do with that discomfort you're feeling.

Blessings.

Metacomet

Note: Check with your doctor optionally about this, I'm only suggesting based in my own experience. But maybe could work for you. :)
I have this same problem, started when I had gotton sick a year or so back and had kinda hung around...I have found that not only the gastric meds work but so does beneryl, for what ever reason I find relief at times with this
nursegirl6572 Looking forward to the leav... Comment
1 min ago
Meganann123 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
2 mins ago
mele48 Life is short & anxiety suc... Comment
6 mins ago