Anxiety Community
Tingling and weird sensations from anxiety?

A community of people with Anxiety offering support through your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks, and disorders.

Viewing 201-206 comments:
a shuttering pulse is sent out from my brain that travels down my spine encompassing my whole body with a tingling feeling that leaves me completely numb and void of my surroundings-- when I think of living my life alone.
Just soooooo relieved. Somehow we tend to think we are the only ones in the world having these sensations hehe and then all kinds of horrible thoughts about terminal illnesses creep up.
Diagnosed with anxiety recently. The things that worried me were the tingling sensations (sometimes my lips), being dizzy, headaches that started recently and basically all of the above mentioned. I am on Serdep at the moment and it seems to be working.
I am also of the opinion that my smoking absolutely does not help so have set a date to stop on 8 July 2013!!!
Just wanted to say thank you for this forum. It helps to know you're not going crazy :-)
Thank you! Reading your comments has made me feel a lot better.

I recently had the tingling numb weird feeling on my face and thought it was a stroke; went to ER and nothing found in CTscan, preliminary blood work, chest xray and other tests they did. Saw a neurologist a few days ago and will have an MRI done next week and some blood work (vitamin B12 deficiency was discussed and I've started taking a multivitamin to supplement). I have been under a lot of stress and my primary had given me Xanax to take daily on as need basis; I don't think it is helping because I've taken daily now for 5 days. A friend suggested a psychologist that does hypnosis; apparently hypnosis helped eliminate the anxiety and panic attacks. I'll be looking into that as well. I'm not fond of medications and that may be a good alternative if it works.
are we supposed to get these symptoms even if we feel we are not feeling anxious???
I love you all! No, really. Your posts gave me so much relief that I am not alone. Or crazy.  I just have anxiety, as many other here and have to deal with it. I have symptoms EXACTLY as few of you described above.

Started one day when I did damage to my body - it was hell hot day, i drank lot of coffee, stress and then workout hard with weights at 5pm, when it was still hot and didn't turn aricon. Soon my breathing was heavy and started feeling out of breath and dizzy. Didn't stop for 2 hours and i gone to emergency thinking its heart-attack or stroke (Thanks God it wasn't, waiting 2 hours, hehehe). Well after this 'episode' i started thinking how i could die from heart attacked alone at home and no-one would know (my wife coming home at 9pm that evening). Started thinking me about all illness i could have and all terrible things that could happen to me. In the next few weeks I felt so tired, muscle pain, dizzy, stop all exercise (bad mistake!). I still work at computer, so my back started hurting from hours sitting and no activity - and all this deepen my anxiety. I gone to see doctor, check my heart, everything and conclusion was anxiety. I got Erispan and Xanax. But I refused to take them. Any. Ever. I want to fight it.

Now after 2 months I am totally convinced its only anxiety. Still sometime hit me heavy and I feel as my neck muscle are very tight, I start sweating and panic. But usually I take run outside - go for walk and listen to podcasts with interesting people - what occupy my mind and fast walk make my body busy - so in about 30-40 min I am fine. Totally fine. I come back home and its all good. Sometime if its happen at the evening I figure out that just glass of red wine works well too. Give me a bit of relaxing and that is all I need. I don't drink alcohol normally, so one glass of wine make me tipsy :) And I drink lot of water too. And relaxed enough not to think about my anxiety. Also I started with pilates and gyrokinesis (good for posture). Exercising helps a lot. Sometime just 30 min of pilates take my tight muscles away. Totally. I am doing better now - hit me maybe only 2-3 times a week. Last week only once. This week twice. But I'll get back to once a week :)

So I refusing to take tablet. Fight. Talk to your body and say - hey, my body, lets fight this anxiety together. You and me, we can do it. So thanks all for sharing. I have the same. Anxiety. Make me panic, make my neck stiff, make my lips numb and sometime lightheaded. But I fight it. And I pray to God that you all will find your way to fight it too. Never give up. Fight it.
Eric, sounds like you have anxiety due to family problems. I felt the same before. You'll be fine. Just fight it. make plan for yourself - how to get better. Exercise is very good tool. When I was in very similar situation as you, as I made plan to run every morning, do 40min workout every evening, eat healthy food, not alcohol, smoking, coffee. I make list of people who make me good, so I can spend timer with them. And list of things I can do to make me feel better (for example I love to paint and box). I wrote all on paper and every morning look at it. And every day do it. And after 2-3 months I left soo much better. And my body wa sin very good shape too :)
All the best, you can do it. Don't give up.
So happy I have found this page. I am 20 years old and attended university where I had my first ever panic attack. Due to this had to leave my course as I was so stressed and unhappy. My left arm went numb and I couldn't breath properly- thought I was having a heart attack. Since then I have been experiencing tingling and prickling sensations all over my body - mainly my fingers and toes. I also get a lot of muscle spasms and a pain/aching sensation on my upper back/neck.

However I believe looking up symptoms has made my anxiety worse because I keep diagnosing myself with the worst possible dieases. Just happy I have most probably found out the reasons for my symptoms!
Hello there! I'm a Danish woman finally finding someone in the world describing similar symptoms as I've had myself for the past 3 years now. There's no doubt that I suffer from severe anxiety due to a very stressful divorce 4 years ago (and perhaps even before that as I'm one of those Highly Sensitive Peole). I was then diagnozed with MS because my symptoms were somewhat alike those you get when suffering from that (terrible) disease. However, a year later, the doctors took away the diagnose and left me with 'stress'. Ever since, my symptoms have become WORSE, now at a point where I think that this is the limit of what I can take. I have a burning, buzzing, thingling sensations in my skin ALL over my body. I can honestly say that there's not a single spot that is not affected. And because I can feel that something is very, very wrong in my nervous system, I constantly think of it. I try do do yoga exersizes and to meditate - nothing helps. So besides the relief of finally finding someone who seem to suffer from the same kind og bodily disfunction, I also have a question. Is there any chance, just the smallest piece of hope I can cling to, that this will eventyally go away..? If I can just trust the fact that I can get my body (or perhaps my soul?) to find some kind of piece, then the symptoms will disappear and I can get my life back! Is there someone out there that have actaully experienced that they became well again? I am now on medication (cymbalta and seroquel, don't know if they have other names in the US) and they do not seem to have an effect. I just so wish to hear that even if your body has been so tremendously out of order for years, it CAN actaully heal itself and get in balance again... Anyone? Thanks :-)
I wanted to tell you how much you comment meant to me. I have suffered with anxiety since childhood, but since having surgery 3 months ago, I have fallen in a heap..convinced I was having a heart attack or a possible blood clot...plus any other bad thing that might go wrong with me. The doctors all tell me it is anxiety and prescribe me anti-depressants but, like you do not want to take any of those meds. I want to fight the symptoms, as I know they are all just from anxiety. I aways feel a little better around people I know, crowds are scarey for me so I only venture out the door if I have to. (Kids to school, work and shop) I seem to put on a brave face at work but that is so exhausting. I get home and just want to do nothing. The house has fallen behind of housework and I only tend to do the absolute minimum. So thanks again for letting me feel "normal". I really do appreciate your comment!! :) I hope you get better as each day passes............Onward and Upward!!
I'm on anxiety meds and have been since I had surgery 2 yrs. ago!  I have severe anxiety especially when I'm at home! My husband is very hyper which makes my symptoms worse! I have the numbness in my lips too. When it happens I rub them vigorously until it stops. Not for rubbing them but it wears off! I called my pharmacists because I thought it was because of the meds but he said no!  This is such an weird feeling!
Have you thought of going to a health food store and taking natural remedies.  I take rescue remedy as well as 90 drops of pascofemin homeopathic remedy  used to relieve symptoms associated with men0pause, pms and other hormonal disturbances  in a bottle of water that I sip on all day.  It has worked wonders for me.  Good Luck
hey!! I'm a university student as well (21 years old.. female) and I had my first ever panic attack last semester! I was having a lot of stressful thoughts etc and I thought i was having some heart complication when it started to feel like it skipped a beat/raced up. wow.. tight chest, trouble breathing, numb feelings etc BUT  the blood test, ECG, X RAY and urine test all came back normal. But i felt under so much stress/anxiety while waiiting for it that the back of my neck tensed up and there was a feeling of pain. Now last night i got this horrible pain/headache at the lower back of my head. I got up with a strange feeling on the left side of my head and some tingly sensations!! sigh.. its so stressful.. i was crying because i just want it to be all over
This thread is 7 years old so I don't know if JennyW is looking at it. Input from some posters is now starting to look more like a statement of their own anxieties, so if that is the case you might get more use from MedHelp if you made your own thread on Medhelp and see what people say to help with your condition. Not that I care, but I am only offering a suggestion
One way I have of testing if something is anxiety is to try a certain type of breathing for 20 minutes or so. Since most physical symptoms of anxiety are caused by overbreathing, this will often make the symptoms go away or at least lessen. And it's also just inherently relaxing, so it will often help with even those anxiety symptoms that aren't due to overbreathing.

The way of breathing is to make sure you breathe in faster than you breathe out. At first, I make the out breath as long as possible, and the in breath as short as possible, to more quickly counteract bad breathing. Then I slowly transition to regular deep breathing, which should always be just slightly longer on the out breath, and should be less than 12 breaths per minute.

If the bad feeling goes away or lessens considerably, I know it's anxiety. And it also suggests that breathing retraining will be the solution or at least significantly help.

That said, make sure you've had your vitamin levels tested by your doctor. Even if it is from anxiety, a lot of vitamin deficiencies can cause anxiety. B12 is a big one.
I don't think it's anxiety. This is the first time I actually find out these symptoms might be cause by anxiety. I have had tingling starting from my big toes last year, then progressed to severe pain on my foot, swelling and tingling on my finger pads. Went for lab tests, emg, everything came out normal. My doctor/neurologist prescribed Neurontin which I have taken for a few months. Then I noticed I started to sleep on the wheel at night coming from work with my girls sitting in the car. I panicked, my physician reduced the dose. Then I got better, stopped taking the pills. Recently, the tingling/pricking sensation intensify and became generalized, it is now on my scalp, face, lips, neck, shoulders, all over my body. Then I begin to have headaches, fatigue, body aches, shooting pain in my left ear, I get very warm, short of breath. I feel like I am losing my mind, I get upset all the times screaming cause I can't handle the symptoms and not knowing what's going on. I have an MRI scheduled, I am terrified. Being an oncology nurse, I am thinking the worse, cancer. I have done all the research, yet to find out what's going on. First, I was told lyme disease, then guillain barre syndrome, later lupus. All tests have been negative for those listed. I am in shock that other people are actually experiencing the same symptoms. If I don't find out soon enough, I will lose my mind for real.
Please read and comment on a few questions I have.
For me my problem started with a sensation thahttp://www.medhelp.org/forums/Anxiety/show/71t I was stepping on marbles on my feet. Over the next 18 months a feeling of tingling, pins and needles and burning spread over my lower legs, arms, face etc. i have had every test, all basically normal.

1. if your blood tests are normal, have you had an MRI of your neck and head to see if Degenerative disc disease is pressuring your spinal cord, paricularly in the cervical (neck) area?
2. can you sleep at night? in other words, once you fall asleep, do you sleep and the pain resumes when you wake?
3. if you take drugs like paxil or cymbalta, (SSRI drugs) does it make things worse?
4. does vigorous exercise make things better for a short time?
I too have had your symtoms (symptoms), zonegran 100 mgs. once a day stopped
all this. This med is used in treatment of epilepsy. My last migaine was 8
years ago, but optical migaines will cause a numbness and seizure-like
feeling around your face which this med stopped, thanks to a wise Dr.
Nothing seemed to work for me either, until I saw a psychiatrist as well as a psycologist. Different meds work differently for different people. It's all about trial and error. For me zoloft didn't work well but for some people it does. It was all about the right combination, and for me that was ativan for short term anxiety and lexapro for long term healing. In addition, remember that positive thoughts and decreased stress are like vitamins for the brain. Those two items are what will ultimately allow you to heal.
I have the same exact problem and I just turned 20 I have a very active life, I eat very healthy and do sport every day, it's silly but I panic many times a day for something happening in my body, it's horrible. I had anxiety 7 years ago and I managed to overcome the fear but now it's worse than ever, my doctor says a lot of woman suffer from anxiety but it's really starting to affect my life, i'm definitely trying your techniques.

Thank you!
Wow you guys, I can't believe this is such a common ISSUE!!!!..........

I have had a the face burning since I was like ...jeez, I don't even know, 13, 14?.... I am now 31. Thank goodness it only happens every few months or so........

It starts in my neck, always on the left side, and then it feels like a WAVE, a slow, strange, burning& tingling wave flows up the left side of my face and behind my eye. I have to just close my eyes and wait for it to pass...... it only lasts about 10 seconds or so each time and then it's over. I'll have 4-5 "waves" a day and then i'll go a few months without them.

When I was a teenager I thought it was "heart burn", because, well, it burned and I just assumed what I was going through was a common thing..... then, yes, as someone stated earlier, I thought I had MS or brain cancer ( my grandfather died of brain cancer, so hell, I still might have a tumor) but i doubt it, from the sounds of everything I've read here, it's an uncommon but not super rare anxiety related symptom.........

What's strange is I've never really been aware that I have anxiety. I'm normally a pretty chill, roll with the punches, go with the flow kind of person. So all these years, that's why I've assumed that I have some neurological defect or disease because I DIDN'T KNOW I even had anxiety. Even sitting here typing that kind of trips me out because how can you have anxiety related symptoms and not realize you have anxiety?

I don't have health insurance and don't have the thousands of dollars it will cost to get all these expensive tests done. I'm a pretty damn healthy 31 year old female who takes no meds, has only had 2 cavities, never gets a cold, doesn't have headaches, never had any health problems.   Long story short, I'm kind of relieved to see other people say that everything is "normal", no terminal diseases, however it also makes me feel badly that people live with these weird tingles and burning sensations ALL OVER their bodies and not just every few months like I have it, but all the time!!! My heart goes out to you people!!!! :(((((
I've had this shaking or tingling in my face and lips since July 2014. I look at my face closely in the mirror and see no movement p, but I feel it.  It's very distracting. I know I'm medically a mess.  I have CLL and currently I'm under treatment with ofatumumab.   I thought it might be a allergic reaction. But I've had it before. No problems.  It feels similar to when you are hyperventilating.  CO2 builds up in your blood stream to a level where your body reacts by having these tingling or twitching lip feelings. I have even felt it in my hands arms, legs and feet. It can get worst when coming in from the cold and taking a hot shower. I know that is a symptom of the body dilating its blood vessels in order to warm the body, but it continues way longer than it used too. Something is definitely different.  I've looked at all my meds to see which ones have reported tingling side affects. Effexor and Nurontin does.  But usually reactions especially allergic ones happen within the first month of use if not sooner. I guess I'm going to start changing meds to find the culprit.
That sounds exactly the same as me.I know what you're going through. Maybe you'd like to talk more in depth about it.although it sounds like you've fully explained it.it could help to talk to others let me know
I am also having the same feelings got stressed out about something months ago and it started and won't stop. It's like you've got this built up condition now and it's always there and it goes off for the slightest reason and gets worse. It's really effects your life and mood. It's tingling and numbness everywhere but mostly in hands and feet, like your body is always asleep. If you want maybe we could talk. It does help if other people have the same problem, so you know it's not just you. I'd like to hear from you it probably will make you feel better .Let me know
I have the same feelings, it's worse when I wake up my legs are tingling all over. Anxiety brought this about, then it's like you can't stop thinking about it, although I do stop thinking about it but it comes back. I might be out doing something and my mind is free from it so I thin great it should stop but it comes back it's a numb tingling feeling like you're being electrocuted. I think it's got to be the hyperventilation issue, you don't realize your doing it.send me a message maybe we could talk.i think it always helps to talk to people so you know you're not the only one
your story helps, you sound just like me.i have all the same symptoms. And ultimately I know it's anxiety but then you think you've done something to yourself and now it's a condition you'll always have. I don't think you can have this an not any other symptoms like throwing up or who knows what else .it 's got to be your anxiety. If you'd like send me a response and maybe we could share some thought.lt could. and should help you
I feel the exact same way. It's like I left YOUR rmessage.all the same feelings the tingling , the numbness the anxiety. I had this about 20 years ago now it's been back for a while. If you'd like to respond back I'd like to hear from you. We could talk about it.would probably make you feel better. I think it always helps to hear from someone directly so you don't feel alone .let me know .thanks
I feel the same way EXACTLY. If you get this message .respond back to me maybe we can talk and you'll know you're not alone. We could share stories and it will probably make us feel better.Everything YOU said, I am going through!!!
I feel the same way. All of it.it was brought on by stress, bad anxiety,panic attack etc....I would like to hear from you, so please respond back it really sounds the same it helps to talk.please let me know Again I feel the same way. Maybe we can message each other,talk about it.if you hear it directly from someone else it should help.
Are you feeling better yet if you need some help I may be able to help you e-mail me if need be.
How's it going? I feel the same way and your comment spoke to me.Maybe if you get this message, we could share some thoughts. It always helps to talk to someone
Me too! a lot of people also. The bad panic attack sets off these weird tingling feelings, then you get upset because of them, then they get worse you're not alone.
Anxiety!!!
I cant believe it either. I wont describe my symptoms but they are very similar and I've had them for 4 years. I'm only 25 and wish I could solve this problem s and move forward with my life.
with the above all symptoms my weight also reducing rapidily, last one year 10 kg.
Wow, I too have had a brain MRI (clean, thank goodness!) and now I have to go for spine. These 'feelings' I have in my entire body are getting very annoying! I feel it in my legs, arms and stomach. I constantly find myself sticking in stomach as a reaction and at night, my body jerks. I know I have restless leg syndrome, but it's like I have that feeling throughout my entire body. What is wrong with me?!?!? This feeling is getting old! and annoying. I've had it for a few months now.
Magnesium is definitely the cure for tight muscles.  Just look it up - don't take my advice - just google Magnesium - you will be surprised.  I take it and it calms my anxiety and my cramps and sore muscles
I stopped my migraines with magnesium.  I learned about from Dr Hyman.  Just google migraines magnesium  
also I have the same skin crawling itchy skin feelings - cant wear tight clothes - menopause - check the website "The 35 symptoms of Menopause"  its all on there.  I get relief from magnesium and calcium.  I never take those prescription drugs -
I feel the same pin sticks - I call it electric shocks.  I googled and found it on website "The 35 symptoms of menopause"  I also found that magnesium and calcium make it go away.  I googled that too - it seems the lack of magnesium and calcium cause bad nerves.  Let me know what you find.   Liz
I have the same thing - it started 1 year ago after a 3 months of EXTREME stress.  my feet started tingling - when I get up in the morning it comes up my legs.  I also get electric shocks in my feet and face (temples) and neck. I went to emergency room twice, then internal med specialist, then neurologist, ObGyn, podiatrist, and psychiatrist. Gave 50 vials of blood, x-rayed feet, nerve test on feet - all came back normal.  All docs they all say they don't know - probably anxiety. I finally googled and found Dr. Hyman - he says Magnesium and Calcium  - Its working - has anyone else tried it?  I use CALM - found it at Health food store - its Magnesium - but I also add I Crystal Calcium.  There may be other better brands.  Let me know.  I love this website - its great to know im not alone.  I thought I was dying.  God Bless Us all - In Christ -Liz
I posted back here in 2007 and it's now 8 years that I still have the tingling/numbness in my lips 24/7.  I was just wondering if yours ever went away.  I am trying to deal with the fact I am going to have this for the rest of my life.  :(
Can't believe you still have symptoms after so long. At least it tells you it's nothing serious. My tingling in feet is the worst and a tremble like I'm wired to the mains. Been going on about 2 months since my baby was born
HI;
You have something very wrong with you.  Do not give up.  How is your blood pressure? What about your heart rate?  Does that go up (heart rate)
when you stand for a few minutes.  Were you tested for nerve or muscle damage?  Start taking your blood pressure first take it lying down relax for about 10 mins. before taking your blood pressure lying down then stand up and take your blood pressure. Then wait one min. while standing then take your blood pressure again then wait 3 mins. and take your blood pressure again (standing) same time take your heart rate and see if that goes up while standing.,  Find a doctor that can test you for Autonomic Problems like Autonomic Failure.  The heart rate and blood pressure should tell if you have a Autonomic Problem or some kind of Neuropathy problem.  Keep looking.  The tingling and burning is not normal.  Take Care.
yes!..i've had the same symptoms for the past week...glad i found this blog
I have been struggling with tingling sensations when I sleep.  It is always the case that I was sleeping on my hands and they are tingling or sleeping in a strange position I have even a couple of times had my lips or even my tounge tingle. I am a hypochondriac and my first worry is always ms but the tingling goes away as soon as I shift positions.  I also sometimes get tingling legs when sitting and sometimes I worry that me circulation gets cut off too easily.  However, I am pretty sure I am being hyper aware of and probably even causing some of my sensations.  That is one of the hardest things for me struggling with anxiety is I am never sure if I am having symptoms of something because I am anxious or anxious because I am having symptoms.  This episode of anxiety has lasted about a month now and has gotten to the point were I almost panic when it comes time to sleep and have sleep starts a couple of minutes into sleep because I am worried if I sleep I may have a symptom which will make me worry.
  I do have the symptoms you are talking about.  It starts in the brain and
  continues down the entire body.  Whatever feeling that goes through my
  body is always the same.    Evelyn      

Brain Zap
Hi where is your doc located?
Viewing 201-206 comments:
Angelinaaa commented on Long standing dry mou...
1 hr ago
facts About Meat
5 hrs ago by gymdandee
10356 commented on ice cream sunday!
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms