Anxiety Community
Tingling in Face/Tongue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Tingling in Face/Tongue

I was diagnoised with GAD about 12 years ago. I am 37 now. Took Paxil for a long time and it did help. I just hate taking it. Made me tired, fat and not want to have sex and being that I got married about a year after starting it thatsucked. Hubby understands but since I havent been taking it (about 1-2 years now I think) I want tto have sex a lot more and our relationship is so much better so I dont want to go back on it plus the withdrawl (withdrawal) of getting off the crap was horrendous. So now I have the lowest dose Xanax and thats it to take when I feel anxious which seems to be more and more all the time. Anyway.. :) I have been having this tingling in my face..around my lips, cheeks, chind, around eyes and my tongue tip will tingle and the back feels likes its scalded but yet I didnt burn it with anything hot. Sometimes my hands feel weak. Of course now I have myself convinced I have MS. Just wanted to see if other have this weird tingling nonsense in their faces and lips too. Its freaking me out. I have been under a lot of stress. Have a daughter with special needs and she just had another checkup and I always worry so much that something else will be wrong. But its been a week since that appt and everything was the same so not sure. I have hypothryoid as well.
I know the feeling all to well...I also have 0.25mg of xanax and what I do is take 1/2 of that just to take the edge off when I REALLY need it...I go for days with out taking it and deal with my daily anxiety cold turkey because i don't want to depend on lexapro but maybe one or twice in a month i get really bad full blown attacks...I feel the tingle in my face and the arms feeling all sooo numb at times...some times my left arm feels bad and I start to panic becuase I think it's my heart...does your feet and hands get cold???
I also have GAD.  When I had my first panic attack I was sure I was having a stroke.  I had tingling in my face, tongue and left hand.  My arms felt so weak that at times it was an effort to lift a fork and eat.  My legs would actually tremble when walking up or down stairs.  You are quite young and have a lot on your plate.  I am not a doctor of course, but believe these are all symptoms of GAD.  You may well be hyperventilating.  It takes only 45 seconds of shallow breathing to have the symptoms you are describing, especially the tingling.  Sit or lie down if possible when this happens, and slow your breathing for several minutes.  This may help.
How about talking to your dr. about increasing your dose of Xanax of trying Clonazepam?  I have had a  good experience with 0.5 mg. of Clonazepam twice daily.
Also are you getting your thyroid meds checked regularly?  You may need an adjustment there.  My daughter has been hypothyroid for years as well as my daughter in law...they at times need their meds adjusted.
My very best to you!
When I first began having anxiety symptoms and then panic attacks, a friend suggested I purchase a small paperback book titled Hope and Help for Your Nerves by Dr. Claire Weekes.  I would highly suggest anyone suffering from anxiety symptoms or having symptoms and just don't understand what is happening to them, this book will help you.  I believe most bookstores carry it as it has been around along time.  If not, have the store order it.
Thanks for the recommendation on the book!! Have to check that out.
My feet and hands get cold yes but not so much now that I am taking the thryoid meds. And yes they check my levels frequently since its been less than a year. So far all are normal but of course they dont tell me the numbers. Just a recheck a few weeks ago right around the time my face started the tingling crap. And I was worried about a uterine/ovary ultrasound for weird periods. Turns out that I have a slightly thicker uterus and a simple cyst so maybe that started the worrying issues adn then my daughters has a checkup every 4 months on her back for severe scoliosis and I freak out because I just am so sure this ist he time they will say its too bad now and she needs surgery. She is going to be 6 in a month. So its not a good thing for a small child. So maybe it was all that worrying compounded on top of each other. ALong with them starting school and I will worry about them getting picked on or teased. My nearly 6 yr old is hearing impaired and wears hearing aids and is very very farsighted so has glasses that really magnify her already big beautiful brown eyes and shes self conscious of it. And my other daughter is very very tomboyish to the point of worry to me. So all those things added might be making me crazy.
I think I need a new doctor. One that understands anxiety better. I feel like I cant ask about anything when in there or she makes me feel like I am nuts. Which I guess I am but I dont need to feel that way with the damn dr. I was having really bad side pain (turned out to be a rib out of place) and she was like its nothing. It gets work and she then says well do you want a CT scan or something. I was like no I dont but what do I need?
blockhead123 commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
23 mins ago
littlebit667 commented on bama88's status
44 mins ago
Alnan commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
58 mins ago