Anxiety Community
Tingling numbness in my face

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Tingling numbness in my face

I am driving myself absolutely crazy. I am experiencing numbness and tingling in my face and I'm convinced it's MS. I had an MRI and the dr says it's not MS. He says he believes I'm suffering from anxiety, and that makes me more anxious and feel even more symptoms. I can barely breathe at times. I've started xanax and I'm either not taking enough or I need to take something else because I don't feel calm or anything. I'm convinced that the doctor missed my MS, is that possible? If you search numbness and tingling of the face on the internet it always come back MS.... I know, I should stop reading and researching as I'm only making things worse and getting myself even more anxious. So I have to know if there are others out there who expereince numbness or tingling as a result of anxiety? And I don't mean in a panic attack mode, I mean throughout the day, which brings on the anxiety. I hope this makes sense. I am so scared. I haven't eaten in more than a piece of toast in a couple of days because I can barely get the food down, obviously I"m not sleeping well either. My other symptoms include a lack of ability to concentrate, fear, lots and lots of fear. I know, I sound anxious but hearing from others would really help. Maybe the whole package is making me tingly or whatever, but I really would like to know if anyone else has experienced something like this. Anyone who experiences this as a result of anxiety please let me know. Thank you
Hey....Don't worry I know thats hard to do when you are anxious but I have numbness and tingles throughout my face and head it comes and goes even when i'm not panicking.If your doctor told you you are fine I would trust there judgement have some good food and try to breathe. I was on xanax and it only helped me at night, so my doctor put me on Cymbalta and so far I feel great. Talk to your doctor and see about going on a medication that has a longer half life. I hope that helps a little bit take care and don't worry!!! A little advice don't search the internet about your symptoms makes things a lot worse.
Everyone can experience different symptoms from anxiety, so it's possible it is anxiety. But have you thought about the possibility of stress? What dose and # per day of xanax are you on? Are you having any other symptoms related to MS? You might possibly try going to a different doc for a second opinion.
If I read about a symptom I get it. I was convinced there was something wrong with my eyes, went to the eye doctor, nothing wrong :) Then I was sure it had something to do with my heart... nope :) I know I'm driving myself crazy. I know I'm doing it and I really want to stop searching all these conditions of things I could possibly have. I take the xanax. My prescription is for .25 mg. as needed. I take two if one doesn't work and sometimes I think the two don't work either but I'm not sure if I should take the third. My regular doctor prescribed it for me so I think I should actually go to a psychiatrist or someone more specialized in anxiety to figure out what my dosage should be. Of course, I'd prefer not to be on any of it, but can't seem to do much when I'm sure I'm two minutes from death or stroke or MS :)
Hi.  I also suffer from anxiety and GAD (generalized Anxiety Disorder).  Unlike you and Jennykins,  I have not taken any medications for my condition.  Feelings caused by anxiety can be very strong.  I get terrible tension headaches due to so much worrying and stressing. I get strange tingles in my back,  face (around the temples and chin),  and I twitch a lot (like my eye or lip twitches at least 5 times a day).  Us worriers have very strong nervous systems. I am more than positive that you don't have MS.

Honestly,  I think that you are suffering from severe panic attacks. Those can cause you to tremble, worry, feel in a state of fear,  sweat, and hyperventilate.  But I am not a professional. I am here on this site for the same reasons why you are: I suffer from anxiety/stress/aches and pains.  Just know that you are not alone.;)

Ness  
hey i have experienced the tingling the numbness and more its all anxiety i get the tingling sensation all the time its nothing to worry about i went through a # of antidepressants  and i still get that i totally Know were ur coming from try jogging it helps
i have had the tingling and numbness occuring in my face for the last month..even when i'm not panicking and it lasts all day long and it seems that in the morning when i wake up, it's the first thing on my mind and it starts all over again. it is not MS. you must trust your doctor. it is a common symptom of anxiety. it sounds like to me that you are overbreathing which is a form of hyperventilation. which means that you are breathing too shallow or breathing to quickly or too much and from your chest rather than your diaphragm without realizing it. you can hyperventilate yourself without realizing it. practice some breathing exercises, which will help you to get back into the healthy habit of breathing. take a slow breath in for the count of 3, and hold it for the count of 3, then exhale for the count of 3 and hold that for the count of 3...repeat that for about 5 minutes or so several times a day. that's what i'm doing. so, keep your head up and stay positive and know that you aren't the only one! take care!
misty
I so know how you feel, you are the first person i have come accross who is just like me in the way that i always think there is something seriously wrong with me and never trust doctors, i suffer from awful anxiety and get so many symptoms and the most recent is tingling in the last side of my face around the eye, cheekbone and side of nose but its not the same as i have had when i have a panick attack its different and just comes on anytime  throughout the whole day, i too have been so afraid its something to do with my brain, head or like Ms etc but when i told the doc she completely dismissed the fact and said nerves do funny things so never even checked me over. I have learned that searching the net about these things made me worse and very paranoid so i try not to anymore.
I also get awful heart pulps (eptopic beats) and think i will die but the cardiologist said my heart is healthy but the reasurance dont stop our true symptoms and i have just tried to get on and trust in the docs. I am going to go back about the tingling face thing because its bugging me so much and i also have it in my foot, i'll let you know how i get on but in the mean time i am here for any questions or if you need a chat.
I am on velafaxine and larazapam and they really help the anxiety thank god i am also on list for CBT to help with my paranoid fears, perhaps thats worth bringing up to your doc?
god bless x
The symptoms you write about are so anxiety related. I have had my entire face just "buzz" it is so weird. You do not have to be having an anxiety attack to have this problem either, just being in a heightened state of "nerves" can cause this. Don't worry, it is NOT MS.

I am like you also in the fact that no matter what illness I read about, I have it, no doubt about it and I will argue down the doctors even. I have to really be careful when I do read things, as I will surely have the disease. I know better than to read stuff if I am depressed or anxious as these are my most vulnerable times. I used to browse the net for hours looking up things and I would be a basket case when I finished, I am trying to break myself of that, it is not healthy.

I have heart PAC's and PVC's, and I am in the heart rhythm group. Well, sometimes when I am reading posts or posting myself, I will bring these horrid things on and I am a mess, so, again, I have to watch when I go there. These types of heart beats are very stress related, and believe me, when I have them, they bring on more stress and anxiety. My doc says they are benign, but, do I believe her, nope, not me. I am always positive that the next flutter will be my last, now, THAT is stress.

Oh yes, with anxiety, my face not only tingles, but other areas as well, like the back of my neck, my eye twitches, I feel like ants are crawling on me sometimes, ugh, no fun for sure.

I do NOT take any medication for my problems except vitamins. I tried a few and they landed me in the ER. My doctor said since I could not handle even the light ones, to not take any and to try to walk when I felt anxious or depressed. Well, easier said than done, I am afraid to walk alone now due to my ectopic heart beats. See, you are not alone.

I have been reading two books by Claire Weekes called "Hope and Help for Your nerves" and "Peace for Nervous Suffering" these are outstanding books and I have used them so much, I have had to get new ones. I highly recommend them to anyone with our type of anxiety disorder. They can be purchased through Amazon or Borders, both on-line.

Well, hope it helps to know you are not alone. God bless.
The last 2 days my 18 year doughter start feeling  the tingling and fuzzi all over her body and went to doctor and coudn't find anything right now she can't even go to school. She is scared and sad she keep craying. I am scared too. She has a blood work done and we are waiting for the result. The doctor also sending her to nurologist, and  I am taking her to alternetive doctor. This is realy helps knowing other people has this problem and how they are handling it. But what I want to know is this a life time problem?
I had tingling in my right ear for days when I had my first really bad anxiety spell... I was very worried about it, but the Dr. said it would leave, and it did.

I'm sure it's just anxiety. Anxiety can do SO MANY THINGS.
I've recently had the same type of numbness/tingling sensation that comes and goes without attacks.  I have freaked myself out coming across "numb chin syndrome" and am having major anxiety now about the tingling.  :/

I am experiecing the same right now. It started two weeks ago tingling in my inner right feet, leg, arm and hand. Then a couple of days ago it went to my right cheek, ear the sometimes over to the left side of my face. But it is not painful. It is just something irritating. I am still able to do my normal activities though. I went for a couple of tests this morning. My family has a history of diabetes so we want to rule that out. Then the doctor said we will do some nerve tests after. I sure hope it is just anxiety. I may have been quiet anxious the past weeks here at work.

Jose
Wow, reading all of your posts regarding face tingling and anxiety completely makes me feel better.  I have suffered from Panic Disorder since I was 19.  I took Zoloft for three years and it helped immensley.  However, by the time I was 22 I wanted to not be on it and see what I was like without the meds.  It turned out that I was ok - still felt anxiety from time to time but never a full blown panic attack.  Now, I just turned 26 and recently had started to feel twitching and tingling on my face, arms, and legs.  I had conviced myself I had MS.  But reading your stories makes me realize it's probably just a symtom of anxiety.  I am getting married in December and I am paying for most of the wedding.  I believe that may be what's causing it.  It's just weird and annoying and I am glad that there are forums out there to help us worriers through life.  It can be tough to live with anxiety/panic disorder!
I am also having chin numbness now.  I had these last year and I consulted Neurologist, though he send me to Phychiatrist.  After few days its gone.  After one year now again its happening.  I too tried in google, scared.  I am suffering from Anxiety, depression, OCD and taking tables for that.  Can anyone plz suggest me what needs to be done for this. Thanks
Ive been dealing with tingling in my temples and cheekbones for a bit now. Its so annoying! Any ideas anyone? Can it be related to hyperventilation or not enough oxygen?
Hypnotherapy seems to have helped somewhat. I have only had one session so far.  I have the tingling problem when I get in the car. I drive 60,000++ miles a year for my job. I have tried Lexapro, but it made me want to crawl out of my skin. I am going to try Celexa or Zoloft again as they have worked in the past. I do take Xanax but have to be careful when driving. 1/2 mg will put you in a DUI range.
Keep pushing the doc to find out what is the cause. Mine started in '06' and I was convinced there was something serious going on. I found out I had a blocked artery that needed a stent. 2 years later I started having the same symptoms and pushed the cardio doc to do a heart cath. they found the stent was not holding and I needed bypass surgery. Now 6 months later it has started again. They did another cath and found nothing wrong. I can only believe that it is aniety this time.

I have been getting tingling and numbness on my face and now I've started getting weird feelings like i'm not here I feel shaky inside and it scares me and I don't want to talk when it happens after about ten minutes it goes away and I feel like me again but I get hot cheeks and they feel numb I'm really scared I have been to the doctor and he said it's nothing to worry about it will go away but I don't no what these feelings are and I really don't like it can any one help me to stop worrying x
I HAVE THE SAME TROUBLES AS ALL WHO WROTE ON THIS SITE. I ALWAYS THINK I HAVE MS BECAUSE OF THE TINGLING IN FEET,FINGERS,NOW MY STOMACH AND THE BACK .ITS CRAZY .AT ONE POINT THEY SAID I HAD SHINGLES BUT NO I DIDNT. THEN NOW I HAVE A BULGLING DISC BUT THE TINGLING IN MY STOMACH THE DOCTOR SAID ITS NOT THE CAUSE OF THAT SO SEE A NERVE DOCTOR. TOOK MRI, SCANS OF THE BRAIN . I HOPE HE WILL SAY IT IS STRESS CAUSING THIS AND NOT MS OR SOME OTHER DIEASE. THEN I WILL BE OK FOR NOW. ITS JUST A FEELING YOU CANT EXPLAIN TO OTHERS BUT READING ALL OF THIS I KNOW IT IS STRESS .YOU WILL HELP ME THOUGHT THIS SO PLEASE KEEP WRING AND JUST KNOW GOD IS WITH US. LOVE APRIL
I been experiencing tingling and twitching in my nose, upper lip and my tongue! It is very scary, but i am putting it down to Anxiety because i have so much going on in my life right now!! I have even been trembling through out my body!

Don't worry guys listen to your doctor it is anxiety!
I am 17. And I've had past anxiety issues[Ex: Hyperventilations, Intense fears that bring on those attacks, and in '08 I think I was on Xanax? Not sure, because a friend of mine had died and I was in some sort of anxiety shock which is what my doctor said. My mother has anxiety issues too.]. This past year was the first time I ever felt that tingly sensation, it is terribly annoying and when I press down on it it like goes away until I remove the pressure then it comes back.

Today, I started having that tingly feeling in my cheek during dinner, and then it just started spreading to my forehead, neck, chest, tongue, arms, legs and toes when we were in the car, the weather was a downpour of rain and my mom's boyfriend was driving fast in his truck, he told me to calm down when I told him to slow down and well he has this traction thing that prevents him from flipping when he speeds on water. It scared me quite badly, I kept thinking that we were going to crash :( . But at the time, I thought I was having an allergic reaction to the lunch I had just had. Eventually all those tingly places just got I dont know.. Tightened? Like I could still move them if I tried, and I felt my throat tighten too, and I thought I couldnt breathe, so while I struggled to breathe and calm down, I had a small headache, dizzyness and extreme fatigue. Right now, after an hour since that car ride, the tingles hasn't gone away.

I guess maybe other "symptoms" I have at the moment would be: lack of sleep caused by either fear [being home alone overnight] paranoia [I think bugs or amurderer is going to get me] or Im just so sad that I have a hard time getting up. Im not usually easily freaked but ever since my friend died, I've had worst fears then when I was a kid [Ex: A bad stage fright that'd bring a panic attack] I do have a lot of things that could be classified as stressful in my life lately. Ex-girlfriend troubles, my mom complains to me about money, possibility of not graduating or getting into the school I want, being alone/dying alone/abandoned. ect. I don't know much about anxiety issues, my doctor didn't tell em much, so I didnt bother looking into it, and I guess kind of denied it because my mom's such a stress case. Any tips on what I should do or how to calm down. A lot of the things I read, well you all seem to know what you're talking about, which is comforting.
Finding this site is the best thing that has happened to me this year. My symptoms have been on for 4 months now and include- tingling all over my head and face,fleeting head aches,ringing in my ears,hot burning sensation in my upper back,neck and the back of my head, depression,hot and cold sensations all over my body and occasional sharp pains all over. Doctor says stress. I am so afraid of my physicals next week. I am afraid of what they might find. It is comforting to know there are other people out there dealing with similar symptoms out there.
hi its april. i got my mri done and on aug 11TH the doctor said i had ms, i thought i would die but there is hope for people with ms. so i'm going to start taking my shots this tue, and try to get it back . my life. there is no cure for ms but it is treatable. god is with me then mt familty and friends. so i'm trying i still get days i worry will i get worse and not walk but i have to stop thinkging and think for the day i'm walking. every day counts with me know i do what i can but dont push my self i eat better and work out and love my family. god is with all of us and even if one day in the future the docor say it is ms you will get though it to with god family and friends like i did. love april
I HAVE HAD TINGLING ON BOTHS SDES OF MY FACE FOR OVER A YEAR. THE INTENSITY WILL SLOW DOWN , BUT THE LAST FEW WEEKS IT HAS BEEN SEVERE. DOCTOR'S FIND NOTHING WRONG, AM I CRAZY? STRESSED OR NOT IT'S THERE>
hi it's april i dont know what to say if you all had a mri done of the brain and spine and no ms then stop and quick worry but if you think its ms go to another doctor 200 people a day get ms i know thats crazy i did the same thing for 3 years tingling i my hands and feet my stomach area dizztness balance was off look it up all came to ms went to doctors no you dont have ms its crazy but when i found out i stop the stress and now im getting better ms is not the end of life but anxiety can be with you for ever too and you can live with it . depression stress anxiety can do crazy things to your body the only differents is the mri showing maybe so spots on your brain or spine . go with the doctor and then a second doctor and stop thinking about it it will make you stress more
Very glad I found this forum. Have been experiencing similar things. Semi-numbness / constant sensation on the left side of my face stretching from my eye to above my ear. Lasts all day, for about 3 days now. Severity varies, but it's constantly there. Also, localized pain at the top of my skull. I have also had bouts of chest pain that last about 30 mins.

I had been convinced for a while that I had a DVT from a long haul flight. I was terrified of pulmonary embolism. I also read about something called paradoxical embolism which can cause stroke. I joined up all these dots with my symptoms and have been constantly worried about it. I have recently moved to a new country so have a lot of time on my own. I read about these things on the internet, I get to be an expert on unlikely variants of these things. However, what I am lacking is clinical judgement and the ability to recognize the much more likely common causes of what I'm feeling.

Visited several doctors and the ER multiple times. They did all the tests and everything was negative. I was temporarily immensely relieved, but there is enough wriggle room in the tests that I later convinced myself they were wrong.

Anyway, in retrospect I now think the chest pain I had was definitely caused by anxiety. It actually matches the symptoms of an anxiety attack much more closely than what I thought it was.
The facial numbness perhaps could be caused by a trapped nerve (I have lately been reading in a weird position), or maybe somehow just by the anxiety itself. It is very reassuring to hear other people's experiences.
I cannot believe I finally found others that suffer from the same face tingles!!! For the past 6 months, on and off, I have had face tingles and numbness on my left lower chin. The first time it happened I thought I was having a stroke. The doctor gave me antibiotics and sent me on my way to the dentist. The dentist did 17 X-Rays and found nothing wrong. The tingling continued on and off. The doctor then wanted me to do some a sonogram. With my work schedule it just never seemed to work out. Then two days ago, it happened again. Total tingling, numbness and migraine. I called the doctor. They said they couldn't see me until the next day. Totally upset, I turned to the internet and here it is. I have suffered from anxiety, panic attacks, depression and hypothyroid my whole life. The only drug that helps is a small dose of Diazepam 1 mg. and a lot of herbs, Passion Flower, Scullcap and Valerian. I cannot believe that stress has caused me so much stress! HA! Thank you all for your stories. I feel a lot better. I guess I need more tread mill, more yoga, more meditation, ext. By the way, I work with mentally challenged individuals in a group home. Lots of stress and my son just lost his father yesterday. Lots of stress. Love to all that suffer from anxiety. Lets all take a deep breath!!!!
For the last two days I have been having on and off tingling and numbness feelings in my cheeks, near my nose and slight on my chin. I am a very anxious person and health issues terrify me, I was so relived to have found this website.. I felt100% better, almost no tingles left after reading all your stories about the same experiences.. If I ever read about an illness, I atomatically find a way to diagnoss myself with it, so research online pointed me to many directins that terrified me. In my life I currently have the stresses associated with work lay offs and buying a house. What a Combo. And my face just started to tingle and feel numb in places. Usually I get an upset stomach, but never felt the tingles before. I appreciate all your words of encouragement. I am terrified of doctors for this reason that I do not know what I will hear when I go there. My blood pressure always skyrockets and I have heart palpitaions. I know it is anxiety. Cannot tell you have relieved I am to hear that others who suffer from anxiety als have face tingling issues.
Hi everyone. This is the first time I have ever written on a blog but I felt compelled to leave a message on account of what I have read. Recently I have been experiencing anxiety which originally manifested itself through work stress but then transcended into general areas of my life. Simply put, whenever I feel a strange sensation in my body (chin numbness, dizziness, pins and needless etc), I go into panic mode. Its comforting to know that we all share these struggles. I would offer the advice of guided meditation and hypnotherapy as a way to bring your mind to peace.
You can do all the tests like I did (CT scan, MRI, blood tests) and they will all come back negative, but you will still find a way to worry.. you have to accept at some point that you are going through an anxiety related episode and nothing more. This is part of life. Acknowledge the feeling, however uncomfortable you feel, and begin to slow your breathing right down. By facing the anxiety you will grow courage. Remember, anxiety can present itself in 100 different ways but it cant hurt you. Good luck to you all and God Bless.
I have the exact same tingling feeling I suffer a lot from fears, anxiety and stress I have experienced this over the past. 3 years and it goes every time I feel fine then all the symptoms goes and I'm as healthy as anything. The more I think about the symptoms the worse it gets as I get more anxious.
I have had tingle creepy feeling in my left cheek jaw and sometimes chin for a month now. there was even some swelling in the gland area, but that is gone away. I have been to the dr. he says not to worry about it. It is very un nerving at times. I have just went through a break up of a long relationship, and after reading this I may feel a tad better that maybe it is just tons of stress. Of course I need to find a way to deal with it. But anyway good luck to all of you.
i have ms and i was tingly in my hand and feet if you took a mri and showed no lesions in your brain then stop stressing
Hi, i've been experiencing anxiety for the last four months. I've had palpitations, dizziness, headaches, tingling, twitching,lack of breathing etc. etc. Sometimes it could be so frustrating. I've been seeing a counselor and that has help me a lot. What also helps me is talking to a priest, going to mass and just trying to find a different meaning to my suffering. I am catholic, and so when I've felt the worst,  that has helped me to put things back into perspective. There are so many people that have talk to me about anxiety, many just giving me just advice. Or they pass on to me their fears, so it makes it worst for me. But HOPE is what we need, it makes me feel better to know that there's a God that has a bigger plan for me, that He has a mission for you and me, and that He will not give you anymore than you can handle. Courage! even if it sounds ridiculous. Seek God and you will find and answer to your suffering. And take one day at a time :)
I HAVE BEEN EXPERIENCING NUMBNESS AND NEEDLING ALMOST LIKE I AM BEING STUNG BY BEE'S  IN MY FACE FOR SEVERAL YEARS NOW IT HAPPENS WHEN I AM REALLY STRESSED AND ANXIOUS I HAVE BEEN TO SEVERAL  DOCTORS THAT CAN NOT TELL ME WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME WHICH MAKES ME FEEL LIKE I AM GOING CRAZY I  HAVE  BEEN ON SEVERAL ANXIETY MEDICATIONS IN THE PAST SEVERAL YEARS TOO ONE WHICH HAVE HELPED HAS ANY GOTTEN A DIAGNOSIS? I HAVE FIBROMYALGIA AND AM WONDERING IF I HAVE MS

I googled my symptoms because I am suffering highly. I caught a panic attack on my way to work in 2007. I also have surgery in both of my legs and felt numbness on my right side. I was convinced there was something wrong because I couldnt function. I felt numbing sensations all over, especially on my face and right side. Because of all of this, I was unable to walk on my own...thinking that I would fall or get hit by a car. I depended on my kids to take me to and from work...I got tired and felt sorry for myself and was determined that I had to do something about this. I started taking meds and went to the Dr. I was told over and over that there was nothing wrong with me and would be looked at like I was crazy. I was almost diagnosed with MS...I was told after serious testing that my main cause was STRESS and that I didnt have MS. Many months have passed, started going to the gym and lost over 30 pounds. Carried a cane everywhere I went and just held it as I crossed to and from. But now, it came back again, the tension, the stress, numbness. I can barely function at work and once again am afraid of crossing streets and getting to work.. Feeling frustrated as I got better little by little but now I feel like I'm back and square one all over again. I forgot to mention that during all of this, I had lots of family issues that I had to deal with and fell on numerous occaisions but other than the falls, I am perfectly fine...Please give me some advice so that I can battle this all over again!!! My family needs me.
im 21 years old and have areal problem stressing out. My car recently broke down to the point where I had to look for a new one. two weeks ago as we were pulling into the dealer ship my left side of my face and my left arm and leg went numb. that was the first time it has happened. sine then it has been doing the same thing but just comes a goes. it happens mostly when im just sitting or going to bed. it was a little better last week after I found out they could fix my car but then I found out I was loosing my job. last night it was so bad I really thought i was going to have to go to the er. but i don't have insurance. i don't know what to do i cant afford to go to the doctor if its just strees related but im afraid to not go and be something more serious. please if you have any advice let me know. im scared and kinda on my own in this.
I have been on Zoloft for 6 wks now and I too have face (mainly left side) tingling and numb face, lips and chin. I thought, omg stroke!! I feel so much better after reading your posts, guys!! Anxiety is SO evil! :(
I can't breathe increasing shortness of breath for 8 weeks feels horrible. Dr thinks its all anxiety, numbness and tingling all over body. What does anyone else think? I can't exercise as a result. I feel horrible. Been to ER 2X and Urgent care 3X and same issue. They have done 2x ekg with no issues should I be concerned?
I too have noticed the tingling in my face and feeling that i can't breathe properly.feels like my digestion is poor after i eat or maybe its just a bit of acid reflux which could be worse with stress or worrying. I am terrified of taking medications and try anything that is natural before resorting to taking drugs.I have heard to many stories of unsuccessfull treatments and side effects that i do not want to experience. I have noticed that summer is better for me when i keep busy with work and get more excercise.In Winter i am mostly sitting around as its been such a long cold winter so that is probably adding to the stress and worry.
melimeli commented on mhv's status
6 mins ago
melimeli commented on Who am I?
18 mins ago
nursegirl6572 commented on Embarrassing, but i n...
32 mins ago